Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Mack: let's see what else is out there [mega-merge]

I'm telling you, if you want him, convince him to sign a one year deal, $14M, guaranteed.

If the Browns match: They have to pay him $16.8M next year to franchise/transition tag him

If the Browns don't match: you can extend him for future years as you can agree.

Offering him a long-term deal is a bad idea because the Browns will just match and he'll be off the market for 5 years.

The Browns could have tagged him for another $1M, right? Then they could have worked on a long term deal. Avoid all the drama.

Another *ic move by that pathetic organization.

Bu

but He doesn't have to take it right?  lets Say Raiders offers him 10 and so does browns, but Colts only offer him 9 he could still choose the Colts ?

I'm quoting your post but only because you are the latest to act like the decision is Mack's.  It's not really up to Mack because with the transition tag the Browns still own his rights.  So, in your scenario Oakland offers Mack a contract, if the Browns match the offer then Mack is with the Browns.  If they do not match the offer then Mack is a Raider.

It could be a bidding war and Mack gets to choose which contract he likes but then it comes down to whether Cleveland matches that offer or not.  I forget the official wording but you cannot sign a player to two contracts in the same NFL season.  So the Colts cannot offer him a 1 year 14 million dollar contract and then sign him to a long term contract once he is in Indy.  The Colts would have to pay him the $14 million this season and then hope to sign him to a long term contract next season.