Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Electric Football Tables

Synthetic

This is old news, but still lots of awesomeness

http://rvanews.com/entertainment/electric-football-art-show

Electric-football-2.jpg

Jim-Brown-Giants-copy.jpg

I used to have one of these games when I was a kid. It was the Tudor Super Bowl set between the L.A. Raiders and Minnesota Vikings. It was old and worn out, missing lots of parts but it still had all the pegs for the team and even the kicker and QB ones, but I had no idea how to work it with no manual or the field goal posts and other pieces.

Yep, had one hate the stupid kicker mechanism and the cotton ball. I think we wound up stomping it to the garbage can. Now going back to that time there was also a football game with plays (diagrams) you stuck in a box and the opposing guy put his in at the same time. There was a light in the box and as you slid something out it reveled your play versus his defense.

My father still has his and we'd play it on occasion when I was young.  Field goals were hard, but passing was next to impossible.

I never had a manual or all the pieces to the board, but it was unique in itself. Something before my time, and a big lesson to be learned as a child without video games.

From time to time I like to see the custom paintjobs and figures made by designers and artists, but man are they expensive when it comes to selling. I've seen custom field tables run for 150-200 dollars a piece.

I never had a manual or all the pieces to the board, but it was unique in itself. Something before my time, and a big lesson to be learned as a child without video games.

From time to time I like to see the custom paintjobs and figures made by designers and artists, but man are they expensive when it comes to selling. I've seen custom field tables run for 150-200 dollars a piece.

"something before my time" I honestly thought, based on some of our previous convos that you were oler than I was.  Not to be offensive at all (and you don't have to answer), what year were you born.  It's just that after a lot of comments I've seen, you seem to have a "vintage" like taste, so I just assumed. 

At any rate, the electric football field is a classic, and it's sort have achieved that status.  So even if it's new, the idea of it sells for a lot of money.  I guess it's the concept that is what is antique, as opposed ot the materials.  No matter, it always brings back good memories.

"something before my time" I honestly thought, based on some of our previous convos that you were oler than I was.  Not to be offensive at all (and you don't have to answer), what year were you born.  It's just that after a lot of comments I've seen, you seem to have a "vintage" like taste, so I just assumed. 

At any rate, the electric football field is a classic, and it's sort have achieved that status.  So even if it's new, the idea of it sells for a lot of money.  I guess it's the concept that is what is antique, as opposed ot the materials.  No matter, it always brings back good memories.

I was born in the Reagan era and grew up mostly in the 90's so I am a lot younger than I may sound, but thanks I take that as a compliment. It's appreciated.

Growing up, we had the video games like the Super Nintendo (and original Nintendo) and that was how our entertainment was spent, and it says a lot when those old games took so much patience compared to the crap we get today. I believe the playstation had been out for a year or two by the time I dropped out of school.

I was born in the Reagan era and grew up mostly in the 90's so I am a lot younger than I may sound, but thanks I take that as a compliment. It's appreciated.

Growing up, we had the video games like the Super Nintendo (and original Nintendo) and that was how our entertainment was spent, and it says a lot when those old games took so much patience compared to the crap we get today. I believe the playstation had been out for a year or two by the time I dropped out of school.

So it sounds like your birthday probably would have been late int he Reagan admin.  I only mentioned it because you seem to come across as a guy with a lot more experience than I had, so I knew you were younger than I thought when you mentioned that it was before your time.  I was born in 84, so video games were always available, and I got hooked at an early age with games like Mario and Legend of Zelda.  It's funny you you mention patience because I remember playing it with dad.  It wasn't really my style of game, but it was just spending time with dad doing somethign he did as a kid that was fun.  And really, that's what things like video games, electric football, and entertainment in general are all about, or that's how it should be anyway.

So it sounds like your birthday probably would have been late int he Reagan admin.  I only mentioned it because you seem to come across as a guy with a lot more experience than I had, so I knew you were younger than I thought when you mentioned that it was before your time.  I was born in 84, so video games were always available, and I got hooked at an early age with games like Mario and Legend of Zelda.  It's funny you you mention patience because I remember playing it with dad.  It wasn't really my style of game, but it was just spending time with dad doing somethign he did as a kid that was fun.  And really, that's what things like video games, electric football, and entertainment in general are all about, or that's how it should be anyway.

Age is but a number :thmup: . Those old video games took a lot of patience too. it's funny today you see games that spiral out of this machine of the industry and people complete them not even a week later. That old Zelda game took months to figure out.

We had to savor those moments back then spending time with our parents, yep those were the old days when both parents were working most the time, and life could be a struggle. Nothing has really changed since then sadly, but I think my teen years can be summed up accurately with those bad Batman movies LOL, and that's how I look at the 90's in a nutshell apart from some great Industrial music we got in that era and comeback albums by people like Madonna and Bowie.

Age is but a number :thmup: . Those old video games took a lot of patience too. it's funny today you see games that spiral out of this machine of the industry and people complete them not even a week later. That old Zelda game took months to figure out.

We had to savor those moments back then spending time with our parents, yep those were the old days when both parents were working most the time, and life could be a struggle. Nothing has really changed since then sadly, but I think my teen years can be summed up accurately with those bad Batman movies LOL, and that's how I look at the 90's in a nutshell apart from some great Industrial music we got in that era and comeback albums by people like Madonna and Bowie.

Tis true!  And dude, Zelda, especially the one for the SNES, if you didn't have a guide, definitely could take months.  LOVED that game.  That was one of those games I was able to con my dad into playing with me, and our first time through took like 4 months, no joke.  But even after that, we played it through at least half a dozen times.  So much fun.  Makes you wonder what kind of game(s) you'll spend countless hours on with your own kid.

I thought the 90's was the era of overrated bands.  I'm in the minority here, but I thought Nirvana was soo overrated.  Linkin Park was a sellout.  And everything in between didn't last too incredibly long.   The era of self-dependent musicians paved way to the schism of good musicians that wrote for performers, and the record labels haven't looked back. It's the decade that perfected the one hit wonders and remix if you ask me.  And popular music has been riding the downward maelstrom ever since.