Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official Ravens Our My 2nd Favorite Team The Next 2 Weeks Thread

danlhart87

Nonsense! 

I cheered for the old Baltimore Colts for years...BUT I can't stand the Ravens (Baltimore Browns).

May all bad things happen to the Ravens from here on in.

I would say most Baltimore Colts fans who didn't go to the Ravens, were not from Baltimore. Most who

made the switch to Indy were out of towners, not real Baltimore people. But, whatever floats your boat.

Yep just like me, Colts fan since 1958 and I've lived in and around the New Orleans area all my life. And if they leave Indy I go with them!!

That's the thing, I would say probably the 1% of all Colt fans who followed the Colts to Indy, were not from Baltimore, or the nearby surrounding areas like York, Pa. The other 99% locally in the Baltimore metro area , went to the Ravens. I guess if you were regional fans outside the area , who started following the Colts because of Unitas, or something, what difference does it make if the Colts were in Indy, or LA, or anywhere, because you're following the uniforms and logos. You like them anyway.

I think it would be the same thing in Indianapolis if the Colts had left for LA , or something. If that happened , and say Indianapolis got a new team in five years , the people in Indy would follow the new team because of civic pride in their city, and the state of Indiana. You might have some that would follow the Colts to LA, but most of the local people would go with the new team. The regional fans, from out of state, would probably follow the Colts to LA. Luckily for Indy Colt fans , their politicians get it and build the stadiums before the owners get mad.

I'm not talking at all about the merits of the move or anything here , but more of explaining the regional or national fan mentality, versus the local mentality. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just exists. This is just an example, but you could easily substitute Houston. I would say some regional fans went to the Titans, while the locals settled in with the Texans.

The Browns were a little different in that even though they lost their team , but they came back three years later as the Browns with all their history and records. Clevelanders didn't have to make a choice, but obviously the franchise has been hurt tremendously in terms of winning, by the move to Baltimore.

If I moved to indy , or Pittsburgh, or anywhere, I am a fan of the Ravens and Orioles. I've pretty much compartmentalized the Baltimore Colts as our first Baltimore football franchise , while the Ravens are a continuation of that history. To me, the Indianapolis Colts are a seperate entity from the Baltimore Colts , who despite having the colors, logos, franchise records, etc, are different. It's my opinion, but the majority opinion in Baltimore. I realize the NFL , Hall of Fame, Jim Irsay, and Indy Colts fans may see that differently, but that's my opinion. That being said, I do like Indianapolis, and it's fans, and I understand why they like the Colts. They were the same reasons I was a Colts fan long ago, but had to move on after the relocation.