Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reasons for the poor starts IMO

superrep1967

pep needs to adjust to what he has, but lets be honest with our selves its one thing to say pass pass pass , but with this oline i think pep are scared luck will be killed and rather send trent into the fire than risk killing luck cause this oline cant block so we have to accept to pass, u have to be able to block and luck will get killed so maybe thats why we run so much lol

Luck has plenty of time to use the short passing game to advance the chains...Pep just stubbornly has the ball handed off to the running back...we can probably move the chains thru the air...we can probably NOT move the chains on the ground.

Great coaches adapt to circumstances.  That means adapt to exploit what other teams are doing and that means adapt to the strength of the players you put on the field ... no square peg / round hole issues.

I am impressed that the Colts are 7-4 at this point.  If they finish the season at 11-5 or 12-4, or even if they finish 10-6 but win the division, I think that MOST Colts fans would be extremely pleased with that regular season performance if such were considered from before this season began.

That being said, they have looked REALLY bad at times.  I was AT the Cardinals game and what I saw live was a brutal team performance.  Nobody was making plays.  Blockers were blocking, runners weren't finding holes that are not there, and receivers weren't making any plays.  

It's amazing how if you really think about it, just how thin of a line it is between winning and losing.  Countless times in the past with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, when a big catch had to be made, it was MADE.  And when a routine catch had to be made, it was MADE.  Without Reggie, routine plays are suddenly failing and non-routine BIG catches are almost non-existent.

On defense, Mathis still makes big plays, but then, seemingly all the time, the Colts fail to stop third and long.  The defense's inability to get off the field KILLS!  DTs have to hold their ground and fill holes.  DBs have to cover and prevent the catch.  Everybody needs to make that tackle at FIRST impact!  When the Colts have been bad, NOBODY is doing their job.  

Encouragingly, when everybody IS doing their job, the Colts have managed to put up a decent 7-4 record so far.  Through it all, the Colts have shown themselves to be vulnerable and inconsistent, yet formidable and dangerous.

What my eyes have seen is an offense that needs to step up the pace.  They always seem to do well when things become urgent.  I say let's go hurry up.  I say lets get the ball to players like Brown and Richardson in space.  I think on offense you gotta start play calling so that NOBODY can just fill the box to stop our (misguided?) commitment to a power running game.  I mean, having a power running game is indeed critically important ... you HAVE to be able to gain that one or two yards when you need it, but man, if you don't have the hogs to facilitate a power running game, you're just banging your head against a wall. FFS, go AROUND the wall if you can't go through it!

Anyway, I think we're clearly all pretty bummed with the Colts' horrendous performance 2.5 out of the previous three weeks, but THIS weekend's game against Tennessee is what will really be telling.  Basically, if the Colts win, they're in.   Pagano apparently said it, this is the Colts chance to put the nail in the coffin and secure 1st place.  As hot and cold as the Colts have been this year, if ANYBODY said that the Colts will have effectively locked up the division title after only 12 games, I think virtually ALL of us would have yelled SOLD! at the top of our lungs.

I shall bite my lip and hold my concern until after I see the results of this weekends game verse the Titans.  Win and we have cause for optimism, for anything can happen in the playoffs.  (In the Colts SuperBowl year in the 2006 season, the Colts won a lot of games that were won ugly, as evidence.)  Job one is to get in and the Colts are almost there.  Lose this weekend, though, and we have reason to be VERY worried.

Agree 7-4 is the record that I thought the Colts would have at this point, but how the Colts got there is different in teams they beat or lost to. I personal have NEVER SEEN a Colt team so INCONSISTENT? Sometimes its mind boggling?

Well To Answer The Question and do it Honestly, First Off The Defense Has To Play Much Better....

Next Me Thinks That Most Of The Players On Offence MUST Play better.."Just Do Your Job"

And a Couple of things I`d like to Suggest

1 Andrew Might Consider To Make His Dropback The Exact Same Wheather for Pass Or Run

Might Hold The Lbers & DBs only need to get `em to start thinking & playing Slower.. hey.. any help

2 Would Like very much if Andrew were to Consider to Start Before Games & Practice using a Route Tree

and throwing to each of our Recievers For just a few at first and adding Other Routes as they learn Them.

Might do all of them a lot of Good in learning how the proper routes are run,"Y`All Listening Reggie?"

I think this whole "power running" game needs to go. We need to be more aggressive in the passing game and let Luck be Luck.

Granted our O-line is terrible and needs a lot of work going forward but, if you look back to last year when Luck was airing it out we had more success offensively.

Plus, Richardson isn't panning out and the offense centers around Luck plain and simple. Let him take control of the offense and do his thing and have the other parts compliment.