Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Toler and Powers

Smonroe

This question is trying to compare apples and oranges.  Powers is a zone corner who did not really fit this scheme.  Toler is a straight up man corner who fit better.  Did we over pay for Toler?  Absolutely.  But you have to overpay to play the FA game.

That's the thing, if he takes the risk and is successful it's the right time, but if not then it's the wrong time.

I know it's more complicated than that, like if he has safety help or not, but it still remains true that if you gamble and lose you still lost no matter what kind of safety net you might have in place.

True, but I was referring to taking a risk when we have a lead, etc. Also, I'd rather have the DB play tight even if they occasionally get beat than the dreaded ten yard cushion on third and seven.

Toler has been solid, not great, but the pass defense overall is noticeably better when he's on the field. He seems to compliment Davis well. Fact is that in the 3 games Toler has been out we've given up 700+ yards and 6 TDs with 0 interceptions. In the 7 games he played, we've given up 8 TDs and come up with 8 interceptions. Also, all 3 of those games without Toler are in our top 5 games in most passing yards giving up this year (the other 2 being the Broncos and Dolphins). Let me reiterate: without Toler, we have allowed Case Keenum, Kellen Clemens, and Ryan Fitzpatrick more success than Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Terrell Pryor, and Phillip Rivers had against us WITH Toler.

Cassius Vaughn is helping his team more than Toler right now. I wouldn't grade an acquisition in that way. (I think we disagreed on the Thomas signing for a similar reason.)

I prefer Toler to Powers. Although he's going to have to stay on the field for the rest of the season for me not to start getting annoyed with the signing, in this case, because Toler had injury concerns before we signed him. For a bigger, faster player, who I think is better in man coverage, I'm okay with the choice we made, even with a higher yearly average. By the way, Toler had a $1m signing bonus, while Powers had a $3m signing bonus, so the Year 1 money is pretty much the same, but if we want to get rid of Toler, we have a smaller cap penalty than the Cardinals if they want to get rid of Powers.

I think the better choice would have been to go after Brent Grimes or DRC, who both signed one year deals for about $5m each. Or Sean Smith, who signed for three years, $18m, and has been a monster for the Chiefs.

I was really on the Sean Smith bandwagon in the offseason.  After we got Vontae, maybe the Colts thought they didn't want two Miami corners.  Dolphins fans hated both Smith and Vontae, and after tehy both left, they bashed Colts and Chiefs fans for picking them up.  And I'm not sure why Vontae and Smith weren't liked that much.  I get Vontae had issues, but since he's been here, the worst news that's come out about him was that he accidentally called Manning Tom Brady instead.  But even then, they criticized both guys coverage skills.  They claimed they got beat all the time, but perhaps that was because of their help over the middle.  I didn't get to see enough of their games last year to say for sure. 

To throw a curve ball here, I do like Toler but sometimes I debate within myself if we would have been better off getting Dominique Rodgers Chromartie. Almost everytime I see the dude play he has his man on lock. Even in the game we played against Denver it seemed he always won his match up every time we tried to test him.

Denver got him for a good price so it would have been good if we could have gotten him.  

Problem is I think you have to look at Denver especially as a special case when it comes to free agents.  I think free agents are giving them the "competing for a SB" discount.  

Vasquez signed there for a lot less then what he was expected to get

Welker signed there for a pittance more then the Patriots offered him.  

What's scary is that they will have a good amount of cap space already after their dead money clears and then they can open up 13 million more by cutting Bailey and Tamme.  So they can re-sign Decker, Moreno and if they want, DRC and still make some moves in FA.   And they have about 10 million in cap roll over that they still havn't really used.