Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL shuffling has led to good results for several teams

chad72

The group that played Sunday did well but I also feel that you shouldn't lose your spot because you were injured

Reitz did last year. Justice was cut in the off-season because he couldn't stay healthy. Ijallana and Collie were let go for the same reasons. This is the 2nd year in a row Satele has had an injury that has "slowed him down" and he's sucked every game that he's been healthy anyways. There's no reason to keep starting him other than the fact that upper management dished out a significant contract to him and they're still trying to give him chances to succeed. That's why Shipley is gone despite outplaying him last year, and that's why McGlynn won't keep the starting job at C, despite outplaying him last Sunday as well  

I don't mind Satale starting if McGlynn is not the starting RG.  Satele is a lot like Saturday in that he is technically sound but he doesn't have Saturday's strength and Saturday was not considered strong.  But if the guards do their job and it leaves Satale in that role of double teaming or chipping and getting to the next level then he would look very good.  Unfortunately, McGlynn does not do well when someone is lined up on him, so Satale has to spend more time helping McGlynn and he's not able to peel off and finish his assignment so he's(Satele) is usually out of position not able to make the block on the LB on the inside runs.

In rewatching the 49ers game the Colts were fortunate that when the 49ers attacked the LOS on pass plays they did so more from the outside shoulder of the guards to the outside shoulder of the tackles rather than attacking the gaps between the guards and center.  What I've noticed in the first two games is often times Satele will have to over commit to McGlynn's defender which leaves a big hole that can be exploited on delayed bltizes and long set-up stunts (loops, etc).  So, if they can depend more on the guards so the center can stay more, well in the center, then we will see the inside pass protection be more solid.

I will also say, the few times the 49ers did attack the guards and center, McGlynn did a better job(that Satele) of not over committing to the guards even though there were times when Link and/or Thornton were being pushed.