Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tired of the Cornerbackites.....No more talk of CB till after the 3rd please!

Yep.  We're all here to share our thoughts, so the cornerbackites' opinion is something you'll have to tolerate.  I personally don't believe that your "R-OLB, ILB, WR, and RB" needs are correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if we draft no one in these positions.  But, you have a right to say it!

Yep.  We're all here to share our thoughts, so the cornerbackites' opinion is something you'll have to tolerate.  I personally don't believe that your "R-OLB, ILB, WR, and RB" needs are correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if we draft no one in these positions.  But, you have a right to say it!

The point was to get the cornerbackites riled up and see if they could convince me... 1 poster actually favorably compared Rhodes to Joe Haden and if that is the case than I'm all for it. I don't see it even with Millner, although. I admittingly haven't watched nearly enough of the CB's in this draft to know for sure cause I don't feel it is a need...To each it's own though.

As a Guardite, I can only say, "take a look at the depth chart." 

Front 7

DE: Starters Redding and Francois. bBack-ups Nevis and Moala

NT: Starter Chapman (???).  Back-ups Franklin, McKinney, and Tevaseau.

OLB: Starters Mathis (PB) and Walden. Backups Hughes and Sidbury, respctively.

vs.

O-Line

OT: Starters Costanzo and Cherilus.  Back-up (singular) Linkenbach.

OG: Starters Thomas and Reitz.  Back-ups Linkenbach (again) and Justin Anderson.  (And Ijalana if you're a dreamer.)

C: Starter Shipley (I hope).  Back-ups Thomas (pullin' double duty) and Satele (ugh).

I have a very hard time looking at how thin we are on the OL and advocating taking a Front-7 guy.  Reitz missed 8 games last year - six with a knee injury and two with concussions (multiple concussions, I think).  Plus, we're trying to add a power running element to our offense, which Reitz doesn't really bring.  Finally, Reitz has only played LG, and by all accounts Thomas is most effective at LG.  Add it all up, and a new power-blocking RG is my pick.  That will definitely be D.J. Fluker if he lasts to our pick.  It will be Larry Warford if Fluker's gone.  Draftniks can drone on about value if they want, but Warford would be the player that best improves the team IMHO.  The only reason I'm not more worried about the OT depth is that I believe Costanzo and Cherilus to be durable, and we're not very likely to need the depth.

As a Guardite, I can only say, "take a look at the depth chart." 

Front 7

DE: Starters Redding and Francois. bBack-ups Nevis and Moala

NT: Starter Chapman (???).  Back-ups Franklin, McKinney, and Tevaseau.

OLB: Starters Mathis (PB) and Walden. Backups Hughes and Sidbury, respctively.

vs.

O-Line

OT: Starters Costanzo and Cherilus.  Back-up (singular) Linkenbach.

OG: Starters Thomas and Reitz.  Back-ups Linkenbach (again) and Justin Anderson.  (And Ijalana if you're a dreamer.)

C: Starter Shipley (I hope).  Back-ups Thomas (pullin' double duty) and Satele (ugh).

I have a very hard time looking at how thin we are on the OL and advocating taking a Front-7 guy.  Reitz missed 8 games last year - six with a knee injury and two with concussions (multiple concussions, I think).  Plus, we're trying to add a power running element to our offense, which Reitz doesn't really bring.  Finally, Reitz has only played LG, and by all accounts Thomas is most effective at LG.  Add it all up, and a new power-blocking RG is my pick.  That will definitely be D.J. Fluker if he lasts to our pick.  It will be Larry Warford if Fluker's gone.  Draftniks can drone on about value if they want, but Warford would be the player that best improves the team IMHO.  The only reason I'm not more worried about the OT depth is that I believe Costanzo and Cherilus to be durable, and we're not very likely to need the depth.

I too am a guardite if Cooper is there and if we insist on o-line at 24 and it's between Fluker and warford I'd go Fluker all day because of his versatility...Warford is a mid-second in my opinion and no sure thing and it would be a reach at 24..Fluker , Warmack, and Cooper are all sure things and worthy of the pick..If they are gone and you don't trade back you gotta get 1 of the OLB's as a pass-rush will help the CB's we got be more effective than adding another DB would do...If both these scenarios are out the window than I'd still be ok with Hunt, Lacy, Austin, Hopkins, Patterson, Jesse Williams, or 1 of the ILB's like A. Brown before CB...We have 3 solid CB's, and we will find a couple more either later in the draft or through FA for depth...We are better off at corner than a lot of teams.

It seems to me that Grigson has placed a lot of faith in Walden and Francois by signing them for so much money.  Add in the significant commitment to Mathis (who, BTW, was a PB pass-rusher last year) for two more years, the signing of Franklin, and the re-signing of Moala, and Grigson has placed his bets in the Front-7.  It's too early to draft a 1st round OLB, as he'd have to take his playing time from the Pro Bowler Mathis or the new Grigsonboy, Walden.  Any DE available to us at #24 isn't an upgrade over our starters, or even over our back-ups in the 2013 season. 

The secondary - I definitely see an opportunity to upgrade the depth in this draft, but it's the safeties I'm most concerned about.  After all, Landry is an injury threat and Bethea's getting older.  I like Lefeged as kind of a swing SS/FS hybrid back-up, but we don't have much after that.  On the corners, I think we tend to under-rate Vaughn, who got great experience during the year and played well at times.  I'm probably alright with him being the #4.  However, this is such a great draft for CBs and I'm not 100% sold on Davis after this year (he's been inconsistent in his NFL career).  Seems like a mid- to late-round pick would wise to further enhance depth.

Basically, with our first four picks I expect an OG, OT, S, and CB, in some order.  After that, I'd consider an ILB, RB, TE, FB, K, or another OT before I went OLB, NT, or DE!