Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft 05/04/13

I don't understand why anybody would want us to go with Bjoern Werner. He's way too small to play DE in the 3-4 and he's to darn slow to be a rush OLBer. He is the prototypical 4-3 DE and I would bet that 3-4 teams don't even look in his direction.

I don't understand why anybody would want us to go with Bjoern Werner. He's way too small to play DE in the 3-4 and he's to darn slow to be a rush OLBer. He is the prototypical 4-3 DE and I would bet that 3-4 teams don't even look in his direction.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People need to realize this.

Werner would be a great pick at 24 and he's athletic enough to play OLB. Kerrigan was a DE as well but switched to OLB both have similar athleticism.

hahalmao Kerrigan is so much more athletic! That's a ridiculous comparison! He ran a 4.67 to Werner's 4.83!

hahalmao Kerrigan is so much more athletic! That's a ridiculous comparison! He ran a 4.67 to Werner's 4.83!

0.16 seconds is the difference between "athletic" and "much more athletic" in the same way that blowing a .08 and .09 into a breathalyzer is the difference between "drunk" and "way too drunk". 

Jarvis Jones ran a 4.9 and Suggs a 4.84, Werner is faster then both of those guys but their considered athletic.. Your paying too much attention to 40 times instead of watching game film.

Jarvis Jones ran a 4.9 and Suggs a 4.84, Werner is faster then both of those guys but their considered athletic.. Your paying too much attention to 40 times instead of watching game film.

Which is exactly the reason why I'm not sold on Jones either. I know Jones looks faster on film, but 4.9 for an OLBer is God awful and makes me question him a little. Werner plays to upright and looks tight IMO. Very little waist bend. I don't see him as an OLBer in the 3-4. It's also very concerning seeing him being mocked anywhere from the 2nd overall pick to the early 2nd rd.. This means that scouts aren't sold on him either and he's a classic tweener. I just think he'll be a 4-3 DE and 3-4 teams won't pay much attention to him. I know many on this forum are in love with Jones too, but Mayock said he's a 4-3 OLBer and not a 3-4 LBer in the NFL even though he played it at Georgia. There are a lot of questions about certain prospects this yr. and hopefully Grigson chooses the right one. IMO, there are no sure things in this yrs. 1st rd. hopefuls.

Werner did great at the combine as a OLB dropping into coverage. You don't run in a straight line as a OLB and Werner's 40 time was also close to Aldon Smith's 4.75 40. Werner is athletic enough to play OLB.

Which is exactly the reason why I'm not sold on Jones either. I know Jones looks faster on film, but 4.9 for an OLBer is God awful and makes me question him a little. Werner plays to upright and looks tight IMO. Very little waist bend. I don't see him as an OLBer in the 3-4. It's also very concerning seeing him being mocked anywhere from the 2nd overall pick to the early 2nd rd.. This means that scouts aren't sold on him either and he's a classic tweener. I just think he'll be a 4-3 DE and 3-4 teams won't pay much attention to him. I know many on this forum are in love with Jones too, but Mayock said he's a 4-3 OLBer and not a 3-4 LBer in the NFL even though he played it at Georgia. There are a lot of questions about certain prospects this yr. and hopefully Grigson chooses the right one. IMO, there are no sure things in this yrs. 1st rd. hopefuls.

If your not sold on Jones or Werner because of a 40 time then that your not sold on Suggs either who's been a great player for years.

Werner did great at the combine as a OLB dropping into coverage. You don't run in a straight line as a OLB and Werner's 40 time was also close to Aldon Smith's 4.75 40. Werner is athletic enough to play OLB.

I wouldn't be sold on that till I seen it. It's not just his 40 time that is concerning. I said in an earlier post that he plays too upright and looks stiff in his waist. Guy's in the pro's are bigger and stronger than he's faced so far. I don't think people realize the difference from college to pro's and Werner has played 4-3 DE. There would be a big adjustment period for him going to 3-4 OLBer and maybe he could pull it off and maybe he couldn't, but IMO there would be better options with a 1st rd. draft pick.

If your not sold on Jones or Werner because of a 40 time then that your not sold on Suggs either who's been a great player for years.

Once again, It's not just the 40 times. There's more to it. Jones is undersized and fits more the mold of a 4-3 OLBer, that is why Mayock has him listed as a 4-3 OLBer. 3-4 OLBer's need to be bigger and stronger to fight through blocks. If Jones was 260 lbs like Suggs his 40 time wouldn't be as concerning, but he's only 241 lbs as should be much faster. Casserly said that there has never been a LBer Jones' size to make it in the NFL being so slow. I don't care who you are, if his time doesn't concern every GM in the game, then they aren't doing their job properly. He maybe great, but I'm just not sold on him yet.

I wouldn't be sold on that till I seen it. It's not just his 40 time that is concerning. I said in an earlier post that he plays too upright and looks stiff in his waist. Guy's in the pro's are bigger and stronger than he's faced so far. I don't think people realize the difference from college to pro's and Werner has played 4-3 DE. There would be a big adjustment period for him going to 3-4 OLBer and maybe he could pull it off and maybe he couldn't, but IMO there would be better options with a 1st rd. draft pick.

It would be easier for him to play OLB in a 3-4 then a 4-3 DE because he wouldn't have his hand in the dirt. There aren't better options then Werner or Jones at 24.

It would be easier for him to play OLB in a 3-4 then a 4-3 DE because he wouldn't have his hand in the dirt. There aren't better options then Werner or Jones at 24.

I would disagree, If Cooper or Warmack happened to fall that far, I would take either one before Jones and most certainly Werner.

Once again, It's not just the 40 times. There's more to it. Jones is undersized and fits more the mold of a 4-3 OLBer, that is why Mayock has him listed as a 4-3 OLBer. 3-4 OLBer's need to be bigger and stronger to fight through blocks. If Jones was 260 lbs like Suggs his 40 time wouldn't be as concerning, but he's only 241 lbs as should be much faster. Casserly said that there has never been a LBer Jones' size to make it in the NFL being so slow. I don't care who you are, if his time doesn't concern every GM in the game, then they aren't doing their job properly. He maybe great, but I'm just not sold on him yet.

James Harrison is 6'0 242 lbs and Mathis 6'1 245 lbs both were great as OLB's. Size,weight,speed doesn't matter you evaluate a player by game tape. Casserly is the same guy who drafted David Carr #1 over Julius Peppers so you can take advice from him if you want. Todd Mcshay has been one of the most consistent guys out there and he said Jarvis Jones is a top 5 player in the draft but will fall because of 40 time and a team  later in the 1st round will get Lucky.

James Harrison is 6'0 242 lbs and Mathis 6'1 245 lbs both were great as OLB's. Size,weight,speed doesn't matter you evaluate a player by game tape. Casserly is the same guy who drafted David Carr #1 over Julius Peppers so you can take advice from him if you want. Todd Mcshay has been one of the most consistent guys out there and he said Jarvis Jones is a top 5 player in the draft but will fall because of 40 time and a team  later in the 1st round will get Lucky.

I'm hardly taking advice from Casserly, although he was a good GM. Just because he made a mistake with Carr don't make him a bad GM. Every GM has made bad and dumb decisions. It doesn't change the fact that he's correct about never being a LBer Jones's size to make it after such a slow 40 time. I agree that game tape is the main thing, but everything needs to be factored in as well. Like I said, Jones could be great but I'm not sold on him. Not that it matters because none of us here are making the decisions. Fans fall in love with certain players and frankly, I think others fall in love with certain players simply because others have fell in love with them. There is a lot of information on this forum that is just regurgitated nonsense, that they seen another poster post. I just try to look at everything and form an opinion from what I see, not what others have posted about. sometimes it differs from the majority, but that just means I put in a little more homework and thought into my opinions.

Actually, McShay isn't sold on Jones at all. He and Kiper were discussing it on their podcast.

Actually, McShay isn't sold on Jones at all. He and Kiper were discussing it on their podcast.

It varies week to week with these guys but he did say Jones would be a steal for a team like the Steerlers or Colts. Jarvis Jones is still rated high on a lot of these guys mock drafts but their just aren't many 3-4 teams.