Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

whats the normal amount usually spent on draft ?

It depends where you draft.

Luck got what a 5 yr. $22 mil. deal, right?

So, let us say his cap hit is averaged out, and you have 6 other picks, you could be looking close to that $10 mil. side per year if you have all 7 picks and draft in the top 5.

But if you are picking later, it will be lesser. David DeCastro got $7.81 mil. for 4 years, and he was picked No.24 last year, if I remember right or very close to that. So, even if it is $8 mil. this year for 4 years, that is about $2 mil. for the first pick and we probably are looking closer to the $5-6 mil. per year range for all draft picks.

Bang for the buck is always best with the drafted rookies.

so for most teams its good to plan out and set aside 10 mil to be on the safe side?

also for teams that are over the cap, what do they just eat the punishment for going even more over the set cap limit?

you have to get under the cap by cutting players or renegotiating contracts.

It depends where you draft.

Luck got what a 5 yr. $22 mil. deal, right?

So, let us say his cap hit is averaged out, and you have 6 other picks, you could be looking close to that $10 mil. side per year if you have all 7 picks and draft in the top 5.

But if you are picking later, it will be lesser. David DeCastro got $7.81 mil. for 4 years, and he was picked No.24 last year, if I remember right or very close to that. So, even if it is $8 mil. this year for 4 years, that is about $2 mil. for the first pick and we probably are looking closer to the $5-6 mil. per year range for all draft picks.

Bang for the buck is always best with the drafted rookies.

it's much less. most rookie contracts aren't guaranteed. if they are cut there is no cap hit. if they make the team they are probably going to be replacing a player with a similar contract so it's a wash. mostly what you have to plan for is your first round picks cap hit.

it's much less. most rookie contracts aren't guaranteed. if they are cut there is no cap hit. if they make the team they are probably going to be replacing a player with a similar contract so it's a wash. mostly what you have to plan for is your first round picks cap hit.

This is actually not correct. 

While the Salaries are not guaranteed,  the signing bonus is.   Luck's was around 14 to 15 Million.   That gets pro-rated over 4 years.    All the rookies have signing bonuses.   Not nearly as high as Luck,  but the amount (whatever it is) is spread out over the 4 years of the contract.

Hope that clarifies....

While the Salaries are not guaranteed, the signing bonus is. Luck's was around 14 to 15 Million. That gets pro-rated over 4 years. All the rookies have signing bonuses. Not nearly as high as Luck, but the amount (whatever it is) is spread out over the 4 years of the contract.

Hope that clarifies....

ty for info.

While the Salaries are not guaranteed,  the signing bonus is.   Luck's was around 14 to 15 Million.   That gets pro-rated over 4 years.    All the rookies have signing bonuses.   Not nearly as high as Luck,  but the amount (whatever it is) is spread out over the 4 years of the contract.

Hope that clarifies....

that's why i said MOST rookies. when you get out of the 1st round the bonuses are insignificant to the cap. i believe the point of this thread is to see how much cap money the colts have to save for signing draft picks. it's not very much money, probably 2-3 million considering where the colts draft.

I assume that the 1-5 or 1-10 get more then the the rest but whats the amount you should have when drafting ?

5-10 million ?

I think 5-6 million is enough for most teams even with udfa. If you a team has a lot of high picks they might need to set aside more. I remember when the numbers have come out the last couple years about teams signing their rookies thinking it was much less than I would have guessed. But, i guess when you think about it those guys after about rnd 3 are pretty low salaries and bonuses.