Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Interesting article

Rich Cannon

I am originally from NY and still get my home town stations via satellite and watch many Giants games...my 2nd fave team if there is such a thing? That said, Coefield is a player! He or Mebane would be great additions to the team it's just their price tags that will keep them from coming to Indy, imo.

wrote about this somewhere , posted it somewhere also linked it somwhere to coltzilla site, as both say take Mebane or Coefield

Coltzilla said

& on site her gives hit to cap if signed and 5 intro paragraphs on reasoning we need someone

Mebane is the perfect scheme fit for Colts defensive tackles. He is better against the run than most would have predicted entering the league and has the quickness and leverage to penetrate the pocket. At 6-foot 1-inches tall and 311 pounds he is very similar to Indy’s rookie tackle Drake Nevis but has proven in Seattle that he is ready to be a solid starter in a 4-3 defense. At 26 years old, Mebane would be an excellent long-term acquisition and could be acquired for a $3.5-4.5 million cap hit.

Cofield is the kind of defensive tackle Indianapolis has lacked for a long time. At 6-foot 4-inches tall and 306 pounds he is a space-eating run stuffer who generated 10 quarterback hits in 2010 — second to Shaun Rogers. Cofield would be an immediate starter at nose tackle and an instant upgrade. The 27 year old will use his impressive 2010 production to demand a long-term $4-5.5 million cap hit.

There are two guaranteed upgrades available in free agency for the Indy front office to ponder. Brandon Mebane and Barry Cofield would significantly improve the Colts run defense and should have a meaningful impact on the pass rush as well. Either player could be acquired without cutting Ryan Diem or Kelvin Hayden’s large contracts — though it would certainly mean that neither Johnson nor Muir would return. If one of the large contracts is unloaded, signing either or both players is possible — though signing both players is unlikely given Indy’s habits in the open market.

His third option , one with reservations is Harris

Harris is an intriguing option as a pass rush generating three-technique under tackle. The problem is that Harris’s production has been declining over the last three years, he has suffered from nagging injuries, and signing him with expectations of meaningful production will be a risk. On the other hand, there is a high likelihood that the Bears will let him sign with another team and his value has dropped precipitously. If Indy is interested, they could likely bring in Harris for a short-term $3-4 million cap hit. With Fili Moala already on the team, the front office may spend money elsewhere.

My link

i don't allow my self to get excited when it comes to the colts signing free agents. i can already hear irsay/polian crying about how they were burnt by cory simon.....

JUST HOPING THEY ACTUALLY PROVE US WRONG AND SIGN SOMEONE, THE MONEY WILL BE THERE

I really hope Diem is cut and we attain Mebane. I'm sick of having only two threats on the D line.

yea i think we all hope diem is cut, his salary is crazy, but i do think Nevis will have a tremendous impact in our defensive rotation. He was second amoung DT'S in college football in sacks with 6, thats exactly what we need, someone else besides mathis /freeney/foster rushing the passer

Muir has been alright. I remember watching a game where he just dominated, but that was only one game. He would be a decent backup, but I don't think he is a starter. Moala, Nevis, Johnson and Mathews sounds like a decent rotation. I would love it if we added Cofield or Mebane