Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Blame"

IndyTrav

Obviously the hot topic around here is the Broncos/Ravens game.

A consistent factor in all of that is the Jacoby Jones TD. And how the defense is to blame.

After watching it over and over and over, I'm confused. What was Harris supposed to do? Be behind Jones? Ok, Jones catches the ball on the 18, and steps out of bounds with over 30sec left in the game. Was he supposed to come up and make a play on the ball? He did, he missed it by 2inches.

So I guess the question is, what was supposed to happen?

No he is in a better position to make a play on the ball. Even if he does catch it on the 18 the entire team had to run 70 yards and spike the ball. A fg does them no good.. So to answer your question yes

Better position. Perhaps. Or maybe he misses it by 2in as well. Or doesn't make the play at all. It looks to me like the rec was being made regardless of where Harris was. And with Jacoby being that close to the sideline, I don't think a spike would be needed.

The safety: 1) Took a horrible angle after biting a little and cheating toward an out route that looked like it broke off about 10 yards shy of where Jones was when Flacco threw it, and 2) Made a horrible decision by trying to go for the deflection/INT.

Better play there, if he was out of position, would have been to more or less ignore the ball and to push Jones out of bounds, hopefully before he could secure it. Instead he badly misjudged the depth of the pass and badly miss-timed his jump.

I think the right play was called (safety help was supposed to be there), it was just horrible, horrible execution at the worst possible moment.

Better position. Perhaps. Or maybe he misses it by 2in as well. Or doesn't make the play at all. It looks to me like the rec was being made regardless of where Harris was. And with Jacoby being that close to the sideline, I don't think a spike would be needed.

How many hail marys are stopped every year? The defenders were in bad position pain and simple. Vaughn had better coverage on boldin last week than Harris and the Corbett had on that play. The guy even admitted he played it poorly

I think "The Blame" should be put on poor play-calling through Broncos' last drive, they went too conservative and tried to milk the clock. Fact, a blown coverage on Jacoby Jones caused their fate, but if they had possessed the ball more, or even scored a FG, Ravens hadn't had time for a game-tieing drive.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan