Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Broncos need to make a complete run, window will be closed in few years

bayone

Broncos offense to strive for more power; defense to seek help at MLB

And in 2012, they were among the league's best passing teams and were No. 2 in scoring. But they couldn't consistently run when they wanted/needed. As a result, they again didn't advance past the divisional round.

They have to find a way offensively to add a little more power into the mix. They are going to be a passing offense with Peyton Manning at quarterback, but they have to be in a position from a personnel standpoint to run better when they want.

None of the plays folks are so unhappy with from the loss to the Ravens would have been an issue if the Broncos could have simply shifted from pass-first mode into close-out mode and run the ball to convert several short third-down situations to keep drives going earlier in that game.

Both Super Bowl teams ran the ball more than they passed in this postseason.

As a result, even with McGahee coming back from a torn ligament and compression fracture in his right knee, they are going to be looking for a bigger back to add to the depth chart.

They'll also look at guards, guys who have shown some proficiency in passing offenses, but who can also get into drive-block mode when needed. The Broncos also have some long-term concerns over Chris Kuper's health with another surgery on his left ankle on the docket.

The Patriots showed, with the league's No. 7 rushing attack, that some consistent play up front and a well-designed scheme with the offense often running against smaller formations in the game because of the Patriots' potential in the passing game, can be an effective part of a passing offense with a pocket passer.

Defensively, it's worth noting the Broncos surrendered more than 100 yards rushing just four times this season, including the playoff game, and they lost three of those games.

damage   tight ends did in the passing game was extensive. For the season, tight ends finished with 87 receptions for 1,032 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Opposing receivers had six 100-yard games against the Broncos this season, three by tight ends — the Bengals' Jermaine Gresham, the Panthers' Greg Olsen and the Ravens' Dennis Pitta. And three tight ends (Antonio Gates, Olsen and Pitta) had two-touchdown games against the Broncos.

Defensively, when teams find themselves in five- and six-defensive back packages much of the time because of the pass-first looks on the offense, it's becoming more difficult to keep enough speed on the field and still defend the run in those looks.

So, the Broncos will be looking to add a little more help at linebacker, a middle linebacker candidate to play in their base defense, to go with someone who can play alongside Wesley Woodyard at linebacker in the nickel.

D.J. Williams filled that role in the nickel in shorter down-and-distance situations down the stretch, but opposing offensive coaches say they felt like they could pound the ball at Williams with some success.

That would also help the Broncos cover opposing tight ends as well, to have more speed/power options at linebacker.

The Broncos will also look to get some more size at cornerback for their dime packages and believe Omar Bolden will compete to play in those specialty packages when camp opens.

Read more:Broncos offense to strive for more power; defense to seek help at MLB - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22436188/broncos-offense-strive-more-power-defense-seek-help#ixzz2IuU1ey6e

Personally I think  also someone who can collapse the pocket up the middle will compliment and allow Von Miller & Doomerville to really attack ,

This  has to be looked into as both starting DT's are free agents

I think the 'window' co-incides with Manning retirement

they have some age on defense..but the offense is failry ypoung...

I think manning has 3-4 more years..

and Trindan Holliday has 10 more years!

yes PM is a great fit for Denver, who knows who will replace Manning, but unless its a top say 8 QB (or potential from a FA/draft pick) the Denver/SB contender window will close when Manning retires . . . they might still be able to make some noise . . . weak division, a division title here and here and a playoff win here and there, but they wont crack the top 3-4 teams in the AFC . . .

yes PM is a great fit for Denver, who knows who will replace Manning, but unless its a top say 8 QB (or potential from a FA/draft pick) the Denver/SB contender window will close when Manning retires . . . they might still be able to make some noise . . . weak division, a division title here and here and a playoff win here and there, but they wont crack the top 3-4 teams in the AFC . . .

ran out of likes for both u guys

ran out of likes for both u guys

I'm still hanging onto Brock Osweiler hope :)  I hear Peyton has him under his wings.

But if Peyton really lasts 3-4 more years, we will probably lose him, and that's okay by me.