Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Season Predictions, Part 1: The Cellar Dwellers

Thewholefnshow28

NFL Season Predictions, Part 1: The Cellar Dwellers

The rosters have been pared down to 53 men, and with thousands of words of preamble out of the way, it’s time to finish up the 2014 NFL Preview. As always, during this last week of boring before the NFL season finally begins, we break up the league’s 32 teams into four groups, writing about one of those groups per day. The series begins today with a look at the teams I’m expecting to be among the eight competing for the first overall pick in next year’s draft. Tomorrow, I’ll look at eight teams that are likely to decline in 2014, before getting to eight improving teams on Thursday and the top eight contenders to win Super Bowl XLIX on Friday. If you want more detailed looks at each NFL team and its chances in 2014, you can refer to the Grantland NFL Podcast previews from the past month with myself and Robert Mays.

Each team capsule lists a number of key statistics that contextualize how the team performed in 2013. Many of them are described and explained in this statistical primer from 2012. I calculated strength of schedule for 2013 by — blink a couple of times right now or your eyes are going to glaze over — using the average Pythagorean expectation for each opponent a team played, not including the points scored or allowed in games between those two teams. OK, so your eyes probably glazed over anyway. Mine did too. Simpler explanation: To figure out the Falcons’ 2013 strength of schedule, I started with Week 1, in which they played the Saints. To determine how “difficult” the Saints were, I gathered the Saints’ points scored and points allowed in games that didn’t involve the Falcons and converted that to a winning percentage. Do that 15 more times and you find that Atlanta’s average opponent had a non-Falcons Pythagorean expectation of .532, the fifth-toughest slate in football.

The only problem? Nobody has played any meaningful games in 2014, so it’s impossible to project the schedule the same way. Football Perspective used the Vegas lines to infer each team’s strength of schedule in 2014 through Week 16, so we’ll use that as an estimate. Now, let’s go make fans of eight teams angry!

LINK

Pretty much agree with Barnwell on the cellar dwellers this year. The Bills are in the worst spot if EJ cannot step it up this year and make the leap. To flame out once again and not even have a first round pick to potentially get QB would be such a gut punch to the Buffalo fans.

Ray Farmer will look like a wizard if The Bills cough up the #1 overall pick for a freaking WR. Did they Browns need a WR, sure they did.....is Sammy Watkins worth the #4 overall pick and a potential #1 overall pick? Absolutely not. He is a rich mans Santonio Holmes. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I got mad the night they took Dorsett and I still get mad when I think about it.  Look at all the good players he passed on for him.  I wanted Xavier Rhodes in that draft and they could have had him.  No single first round draft pick upsets me as much as Phillip freaking Dorsett.
    • Grigson didn’t hit on another high draft pick until Ryan Kelly after Hilton.  Just goes to speak about how good Andrew Luck was that those teams were as good as they were until Luck literally feel apart from carrying the team on his shoulders.  
    • Irsay or no other pro-sports owner is strapped for cash.  Look at the lifestyles they live.  These guys are swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style.  They like to get you to think that they are so that they have to pay for less things like the a new stadium and give them friendly tax breaks but they aren’t.  These guys are super rich even the small market teams like the Colts.  If you want to think they are strapped for cash go a head but we are going to agree to disagree.  
    • I agree. I cannot recall who else he drafted in 2015 but I could not understand why he drafted the WR out of Miami at #29 that year.
    • If I may….    I’ll share some information that I’ve had for about 4 months.   It may or may not surprise you.  This is what I tried to send you the other night but somehow screwed up.      These are the big signing bonuses the Colts have given out over the years when the players 2nd contract came around:  this is from Spotrac.    Nelson:   $31m Leonard:  $20m Smith:      $15m Taylor:      $10.24m Stewart:    $5m      BUT…..    I also found this….   *** When Ballard signed Buckner to 4/84 his SB was 0. *** When Ballard signed Kelly to 4/50 his signing bonus was 0. *** When Ballard signed Moore to 4/33 his signing bonus was 0.  *** When Ballard signed MAC to 3/19 his SB was 0.    To be clear, no agent lets their client sign a deal like this out of the goodness of their heart to help the team.  I think it stands to reason they get something in return.  And I think it’s a higher amount of guaranteed money.  That’s money the player would get even if the team cut the player before the contract was done.   Guaranteeing a higher percentage of money doesn’t cost the Colts anything if the team is confident the player will be in the roster for the life of the contract.    I view this as a sign of a small market team.   The Colts wanted to do this.  It’s to their advantage.  I’m not blaming the Colts for doing this, I think it’s smart business.  But I think it’s a sign that from time to time, Irsay needs a little help so he doesn’t have to write a large check.     This is my view.   I welcome input from all.    @w87r   @Superman  @GoColts8818  
  • Members

• ColtsGermany

ColtsGermany 996

• NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan 20,788

• BProland85

BProland85 2,734

• GoColts8818

GoColts8818 16,846

• KB

KB 1,044

• colts89