Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Latu 3rd best Colts DE rookie year?

John Hammonds

Looking at basic stats on Pro Football Reference, Laiatu Latu is shaping up to maybe have the 3rd best rookie year among Colts defensive ends since drafting Dwight Freeney.  Now, let's not get too excited.  When you look at rookie year stats for our DE's, they're pretty bad.  If Ben Banogu can rank FIFTH in rookie year stats, that's pretty bad overall.  In fact, our DE's have not fared well early on.

ROOKIE YEAR DE BASIC STATS

#1 - 2002 Dwight Freeney - 16 games, 8 started, 13 sacks, 20 tackles for loss, 9 forced fumbles (and AP DROY)

#2 - 2021 Kwity Paye - 15 games, 15 started, 4 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#3 - 2024 Laiatu Latu (so far) - 7 games, 1 started, 2 sacks, 2 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles

#4 - 2013 Bjorn Werner - 13 games, 1 started, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#5 - 2019 Ben Banogu - 16 games, 0 started, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#6 - 2018 Tyquan Lewis - 8 games, 6 started, 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#7 - 2015 Henry Anderson - 9 games, 9 started, 1 sack, 5 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#8 - 2017 Terrell Basham - 15 games, 0 started, 2 sacks, 1 tackle for loss, 1 forced fumble

#9 - 2021 Dayo Odeyingbo - 10 games, 0 started, 0.5 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#10 - 2010 Jerry Hughes - 12 games, 0 started, 0 sacks, 1 tackle for loss, 0 forced fumbles

It's possible that Latu could actually pass Paye for #2 on the rookie year list.

• Like 2

This isn’t to OP but why do we instantly have to compare young players to past players when they have less than 1 season of games that they played. Let them develop and get experience before jumping to conclusions about them.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Now, let's not get too excited.  When you look at rookie year stats for our DE's, they're pretty bad

Well yeah rookie DEs usually dont get a lot of playing time unless they were drafted high.  We should hope the first defensive player of the draft would be third or better in a fairly underwhelming group outside of Freeney and Paye who was solid but never quite jumped off the screen.

Some of these guys had good/decent careers but were mostly drafted as depth or flyers 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Yeah.  People talk about AR taking hits when he doesn't need to...and that is true.  But the fact is Luck took wayyyyyyyyyy more hits than he ever should have from his scrambling.  But people loved that about him.  Different narrative with AR. 
    • A few things.   First let me say that I loved Luck as the Colts QB and would have been more than happy to have him be the Colts QB for through his 40 age.  He is one of my all time favorite Colts.  Can not say enough good things about him.   If things had been right and gone right?  He could have been one of the all time greats.  But.....   That being said.   To start he never loved football the way many guys do.  He was probably too smart for his own good.  For example he never put in the hours of film study that Manning did.   Two....he was never accurate as people were led to believe and that he was 'supposed' to be.   For being such a meticulous passer, his completion % was never that great.   Third, I never thought his throwing motion was all that great.  He had a tendency to almost guide the ball instead of slinging it.  And it got much worse as his shoulder issues got worse.   Think of it like a pitcher who tries to place/guide a pitch instead of just letting it go naturally.     I really noticed it the very last game he played....in the playoffs against the Chiefs.  He looked terrible.  All of his throws looked like he was not confident in his ability, shoulder, health.   He was literally trying to place the ball to each WR and I remember telling my wife watching the game how bad he looked.  His throwing motion looked like a putter who has the yips.   Sure enough he never played another game.  I really think a BIG part of his retirement was because he did not have the confidence you need to play at a high level anymore.   I mean, lets face it we were all flummoxed when he retired because health wise?  He looked fine.   IMO his retirement was almost all mental and not physical.  Someone mentioned earlier that he was terrified to get hurt again.  And to me?  That is how he looked playing at the end.  Timid.  Whether that was from all the injuries he received?  I don't know.  But something happened to him that made him lose confidence and I think he knew it.  Hence he gave it up.
    • While I will agree our O line sucked when Luck was QB, he wasn't in the pocket when his spleen was ruptured. He scrambled and took on a linebacker down field. Not sure but I think it was against Denver. Luck never slid and protected himself, he ran like a fullback.
    • Well yeah rookie DEs usually dont get a lot of playing time unless they were drafted high.  We should hope the first defensive player of the draft would be third or better in a fairly underwhelming group outside of Freeney and Paye who was solid but never quite jumped off the screen.   Some of these guys had good/decent careers but were mostly drafted as depth or flyers 
    • I agree with the comment “probably terrified…” I cannot remember which commentator mentioned that Mr. Luck was the most hit QB in the NFL. I got so frustrated to see him get sacked or hit after passes. I bet he could tell which stadium’s grass had the best and worst flavor and which stadium had the softest artificial turf.   Who let this happen for two to three years?  Pagano and the higher up muckedy mucks!🫥 I don’t know how much pressure it takes to be tackled to cause a ruptured liver. Anybody else know? 🤨 Yes, I was excited to see him comeback but I took his surprised retirement as a smart thing to do.    He was too nice to say, “Hey coach, Cheese's Fries, I getting my butt handed to me!” but would say “Someone will have to replace the chunk I grass I took out with my teeth on the 50 yard line, someone could get hurt!”😇   Andrew Luck could have won a SB with the our Colts. I would bet coach p and others, probably felt the same way I did that they should have opened up their tight wallets to protect him with a better OL. 😕   AR5 has a long way to go before I can compare him to Andrew’s greatness. Well, I feel it will never happen. It’s just a gut feeling I have, or it could be just “ gas.”😳   There might not be anyone that saw what I saw or agree with my comments but Mr. Luck is probably happy and healthy with his life as we speak…type.   I would bet that he hopes that AR5 has a successfully long and healthy career with our Colts…and to not be afraid to speak up if he starts to taste artificial turf, frequently!😕   Go, Colts youngest fans!          
  • Members

• Derakynn

Derakynn 350

• holeymoley99

holeymoley99 2,869

• Dingus McGirt

Dingus McGirt 4,036

• Virtuoso80

Virtuoso80 443

• tdblue17

tdblue17 7

Rookie