Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor’s average $14 mil/yr contract

azcolt

He obviously had a super 2021 and couldn't be blamed for getting what he could even it did mean holding out into the 2023 season. But it’s beginning to look like that 2021 season may not be representative of his value. Yes, he’s still young but Wisky ran him to death and running backs tend to have a short shelf life. Hopefully he can get healthy and have great 2025 and 2026 seasons. So far it doesn’t look promising, especially since he often sits when we are in passing mode. $14 mil is a lot for a one-dimensional back whose run production has been mediocre since 2021.

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

He obviously had a super 2021 and couldn't be blamed for getting what he could even it did mean holding out into the 2023 season. But it’s beginning to look like that 2021 season may not be representative of his value. Yes, he’s still young but Wisky ran him to death and running backs tend to have a short shelf life. Hopefully he can get healthy and have great 2025 and 2026 seasons. So far it doesn’t look promising, especially since he often sits when we are in passing mode. $14 mil is a lot for a one-dimensional back whose run production has been mediocre since 2021.

Are you paying him?

• Like 2

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Are you paying him?

He doesn't have to to have an opinion whether or not a contract is bad value.

I think JT is great when he's on the field, but he plays a little more than half a season at this point. That contract is too rich for that kind of availability. That said, the Colts are in a pretty good cap situation right now, but that doesn't mean money can't be saved and used on better things. We have a LT, RT and RG that need to get paid very soon. At least two of those could be $20+m contracts. We have a defense that's questionable at best and could use a talent infusion.

I really hope we find a good RB in the draft this offseason. If nothing else we need better depth behind JT, because we can't count on him being available.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He doesn't have to to have an opinion whether or not a contract is bad value.

I think JT is great when he's on the field, but he plays a little more than half a season at this point. That contract is too rich for that kind of availability. That said, the Colts are in a pretty good cap situation right now, but that doesn't mean money can't be saved and used on better things. We have a LT, RT and RG that need to get paid very soon. At least two of those could be $20+m contracts. We have a defense that's questionable at best and could use a talent infusion.

I really hope we find a good RB in the draft this offseason. If nothing else we need better depth behind JT, because we can't count on him being available.

JTs contract isn't keeping the team from doing anything they might want to do.   It's like the folks that cry about Matt Gays contract.    Neither are keeping the team from signing high priced free agents like Ladaris Sneed that so many wanted

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

JTs contract isn't keeping the team from doing anything they might want to do.   It's like the folks that cry about Matt Gays contract.    Neither are keeping the team from signing high priced free agents like Ladaris Sneed that so many wanted

It very well could when we have to sign Raimann, Smith and Fries. Those are not going to be small contracts and it's why deals like JT's and Mo's look less than good.

Not saying it's definitely going to be a problem, but even if it isn't $14m/year for 10-ish games from a RB is not a good deal.

I laugh when people moan about Taylor's contract, it is not even hurting the team but yet the same people think McCaffrey is worth 16 Mill and he hasn't really played all year due to injury. He has also been injured in other seasons too. The thing that annoys me is, why do some Colts fans in here just single out our players when missing games, it happens around the league. Is Joe Burrow overpaid? He is injured all the time and has played like doo doo all season, give it a rest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I laugh when people moan about Taylor's contract, it is not even hurting the team but yet the same people think McCaffrey is worth 16 Mill and he hasn't really played all year due to injury. He has also been injured in other seasons too. The thing that annoys me is, why do some Colts fans in here just single out our players when missing games, it happens around the league. Is Joe Burrow overpaid? He is injured all the time and has played like doo doo all season, give it a rest.

CMC isn't worth his contract either at this point.

When you start stacking bad deals it starts becoming a problem. It's why you get teams close to the cap who aren't contenders - misspent cap space.

Also, this is a Colts fan forum, why shouldn't we discuss Colts' players contracts, but discuss those of other teams?

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

CMC isn't worth his contract either at this point.

When you start stacking bad deals it starts becoming a problem. It's why you get teams close to the cap who aren't contenders - misspent cap space.

Also, this is a Colts fan forum, why shouldn't we discuss Colts' players contracts, but discuss those of other teams?

It's the middle of October. JT's contract is what it is.

Right now, he's hurt. High ankle sprain, it's no one's fault. Before he got hurt, he was playing well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

It's the middle of October. JT's contract is what it is.

Right now, he's hurt. High ankle sprain, it's no one's fault. Before he got hurt, he was playing well. 

Sure, I just don't think it's unreasonable to say it's looking like a bad deal at this point.

JT had a FANTASTIC season in 2021... Then in '22 and '23 he played 11 and 10 games respectively and now he's injured again.

Like I said in my first post - he's great when he's on the field... WHEN he's on the field.

Eh, I didn't really want to make this a thing. Just a thread and I responded, nothing more... moving on...

46 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It very well could when we have to sign Raimann, Smith and Fries. Those are not going to be small contracts and it's why deals like JT's and Mo's look less than good.

Not saying it's definitely going to be a problem, but even if it isn't $14m/year for 10-ish games from a RB is not a good deal.

No. It won't.