Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq cap hit 2024

MikeCurtis

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Well first you rarely have 3 lbs on the field these days, its often a 2 LB nickel set. The reason you want these hybrid linebackers is because they are fast from sideline to sideline, which is needed in todays league because teams have adapted to a style that they are gonna try to stretch the field horizontally as well as vertically. In this sense if you have the stereotypical big run stopping LB they are effectively out of the play because they are slow.

That's why you see more teams trying to switch Strong Safeties into LBs. The Cowboys have been very effective at this with Markquese Bell who switched from Safety to LB this year and has a pff of 90.0 for the season and I believe is the highest rated LB in the league. The Cardinals were early in this when they had Deone Bucannon a first round safety that they had success moving him to LB. Back when Pagano was here I always wanted them to move Geathers to LB because he was an average safety but in my opinion would have made a better LB.

I agree with the safety thing, but you wouldn’t do that with all the lb’s. You still have to stop the run also in the nfl if you want to win games. Having one bigger lb on the field I don’t see hurting you and it doesn’t mean they are of no use against the passing game.

14 hours ago, husker61 said:

I have said for years the colts lb’s are too small. Not saying they all need to be big, but at least one should be big and physical. 

They drafted to fit this scheme. They like light linebackers because they ask them to be superior to other heavier linebackers in coverage. As much as people don't want to admit it, it was never Leonard's strength. Think Warner when u bring up the prototypical linebacker in this scheme and not Leonard. I use to laugh when Ballard said that the 3 tech and Leonard's position were the key to this D.  How about the 3 tech and Dend???? Dah. That told me back  them that he had no idea what he was doing. If u want to look at Ballard alone when it comes to building this Dline. Ithas been enough to get him fired. Out of his own mouth, he said u build in the trenches. 

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

That's kind of an outdated view of the lb position. today you really want a player that is a hybrid between a safety and a linebacker, because the big guys are usually slow and a complete liability in the pass coverage 

Honestly, the linebackers position should be the least valued position on the team. It starts and finishes with this Dline in terms of what should be the strength of this team. Basham, Turay, Banagou Lewis, Paye, Dayo and all the other late picks and free agents have amounted to what??? Tons of resources into the Dline, and they have yet to get pressure on a consistent basis. People get excited when they ball out against an unbalanced offence. I said it early in the season to just wait when they play a good Oline. The teams they played early on were inferior Olines . People seem to forget that the Dline is supposed to get pressure with its front four. To do that, you better have at least, and I say at least 2 very good players up front. U need an elite 3 tech and a very good to elite pass rusher. They have an aging 3 tech and no outside pass rush. What's going to happen when Buckner hits the wall? Do people actually trust Ballard to rebuild this D?  He stubbornly sticks to this scheme. He brought in Dodds and two defensive coaches to run this scheme. Do I blame Bradley? Yes, I do but I think, and u can read between the lines in his post game comments. He goes with what he has to play with. People say he is conservative, and yes, he is. They want him to blitz more. Did u see what happened when he did on that last touchdown. A rare blitz and a burn deep. I don't think he trusts the talent on this team that he has to work with. They got absolutely no pressure last game. Time to pull the plug. I really don't differentiate between who and/or  I think is the problem with this D is anymore. U fire Bradley, Ballard and with it the scheme, and that way, u r going to for sure be getting rid of the problem.