Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My final Mock 2012

Before I start with my mock let me say - and I mentioned that before in several post - that it is impossible to fill all holes with one draft or fill the holes all with adequate talent. So it will take at least one or two more drafts to build the monster. I expect the team to play better this year than last but we will still struggle and although I become a Colts fan because of Peyton Manning I'm fine with that. I'm still a Colt and always will be, what we need now is patience and I hope we all don't panic if it takes some time for this team to grow over the coming years. But now that's my final mock:

Round 1 (1): Andrew Luck QB (Stanford)

Round 2 (34): Kevin Zeitler OG (Wisconsin)

If Colby Fleener or Stephen Hill should be around I would take one of them, but I expect that both will be gone so I go with Kevin Zeitler here. Although we signed some veterans via free agency to improve our O-line we could still use some young talent and protecting Andrew Luck should be a priority. I know a lot of people would like Janoris Jenkins with that pick (if he is around) and I know that he is very talented but I doubt that he can stay out of trouble for a long time. But if the Colts should take him I trust the judgement of Grigson and Pagano. So the 2nd round pick was kind of tough for me ;-)

Round 3 (64): Brian Quick WR (Appalachian State)

Round 4 (97): Josh Norman CB (Coastal Carolina)

Round 5 (136): Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT (Baylor)

Round 5 (170): T.Y. Hilton WR (Florida International)

Round 6 (206): James Hanna TE (Oklahoma)

Round 7 (208): Tavon Wilson S (Illinois)

Round 7 (214): Noah Keller LB (Ohio)

Round 7 (253): Ryan Van Bergen DE (Michigan)

Before I start with my mock let me say - and I mentioned that before in several post - that it is impossible to fill all holes with one draft or fill the holes all with adequate talent. So it will take at least one or two more drafts to build the monster. I expect the team to play better this year than last but we will still struggle and although I become a Colts fan because of Peyton Manning I'm fine with that. I'm still a Colt and always will be, what we need now is patience and I hope we all don't panic if it takes some time for this team to grow over the coming years. But now that's my final mock:

Round 1 (1): Andrew Luck QB (Stanford)

Round 2 (34): Kevin Zeitler OG (Wisconsin)

If Colby Fleener or Stephen Hill should be around I would take one of them, but I expect that both will be gone so I go with Kevin Zeitler here. Although we signed some veterans via free agency to improve our O-line we could still use some young talent and protecting Andrew Luck should be a priority. I know a lot of people would like Janoris Jenkins with that pick (if he is around) and I know that he is very talented but I doubt that he can stay out of trouble for a long time. But if the Colts should take him I trust the judgement of Grigson and Pagano. So the 2nd round pick was kind of tough for me ;-)

Round 3 (64): Brian Quick WR (Appalachian State)

Round 4 (97): Josh Norman CB (Coastal Carolina)

Round 5 (136): Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT (Baylor)

Round 5 (170): T.Y. Hilton WR (Florida International)

Round 6 (206): James Hanna TE (Oklahoma)

Round 7 (208): Tavon Wilson S (Illinois)

Round 7 (214): Noah Keller LB (Ohio)

Round 7 (253): Ryan Van Bergen DE (Michigan)

I think you're reaching a bit far for Jean-Baptiste, but other than that pretty solid.

I love your 2nd round pick although I wonder if we could trade down a little and still get Zeitler. I view Joe Reitz as a better prospect at RT than at OG since he is 6-7 and is somewhat athletic for his size.

I say let Reitz and Justice compete at RT, Ijalana moved to OG, which leaves a whole at the other OG spot. That could easily be filled by Zeitler or Konz, both from Wisconsin. Our OL would be very solid with this addition and we could have a very good running game after this pick.

I think you're reaching a bit far for Jean-Baptiste, but other than that pretty solid.

I don't think 5th rd. is reaching for Jean-Baptiste at all. I have seen him going as high as the 4th rd. and is probably the 3rd best true NT prospect in the draft.

I don't think 5th rd. is reaching for Jean-Baptiste at all. I have seen him going as high as the 4th rd. and is probably the 3rd best true NT prospect in the draft.

Matt Miller has him at 211

http://bleacherrepor...g-board/page/11

CBS has him going undrafted

http://www.cbssports...ankings/2012/DT

3rd best NT in the draft who has previously played NT in a 3-4...maybe. But the DT's that could play in our 3-4/4-3 Hybrid NT position...I'd go Ta'amu, Poe, Chapman, Martin, Fangupo, Jean-Baptiste. Either way, the drop off in talent is pretty substantial from 1-5.

This is my second-favorite mock so far. My only negative comment is that I believe that Fangupo in the 5th round is a better prospect than Baptiste. Many scouts have Baptiste going in the 6th round.

I am becoming very tired of people using the word 'need'. It should be banned from the lexicon, and the word 'value' substituted.

Currently the Colts only have a few quality starters for the future. Help is needed everywhere. They are not building for 2012; they want the best building blocks possible to be in place for 2014-2015. The only exception that should be considered is to lean a bit towards protecting Luck with more O-linemen, but only if the value is there. The Colts are going nowhere in 2012-We should accept that and also realize that if they get a top-5 pick next year, they'll be in the Barkley/Jones sweepstakes and can ransom the pick for

a boatload. Add to that happy scenario the fact that we'll be at least $38 million below the cap. After watching the Polians blow it, I prefer that the Colts take their lumps for two seasons, and build a dynasty, not a contender.

For comparison's sake, here' my mock:

1-QB Andrew Luck, Stanford, 6-4, 237 4.59

2-ILB Bobby Wagner, Utah State, 6-0, 241 4.45

3-OG Brandon Brooks, Miami ( Ohio ), 6-3, 346

4-CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina, 6-0, 197 4.45

5A-WR Dwight Jones, North Carolina, 6-3, 230 4.55

5B-NT Hebron Fangupo, Brigham Young, 6-0, 323

6-TE Taylor Thompson, Southern Methodist, 6-6, 259 4.57

7A-OLB Ryan Davis, Bethune-Cookman, 6-3, 260, 4.8

7B-TE Adrien Robinson, Cincinnati, 6-4, 264 4.58

7C-WR Dale Moss, S. Dakota State, 6-3, 213, 4.45

UDFA's of interest:

SS Jose Gumbs, Monmouth, 5-10, 210 4.48

WR Coby Pearcy, Huntingdon, 5-10, 162, 4.36

RB/KR Fozzy Whittaker, Texas, 5-9, 193 4.5

OL Tom Compton, S. Dakota, 6-5, 314

FB/HB Devin Goda, Slippery Rock, 6-2, 225 4.54

WR Jeremy Ebert, Northwestern, 5-11, 200 4.38

C Jason Slowey, Western Oregon, 6-3, 303

DE Ernest Owusu, California, 6-3, 277 4.8

TE Kyle Fredorowicz, N. Central College, 6-6, 265 4.67

DT Drew Nowak, Western Michigan, 6-3, 295

Matt Miller has him at 211

http://bleacherrepor...g-board/page/11

CBS has him going undrafted

http://www.cbssports...ankings/2012/DT

3rd best NT in the draft who has previously played NT in a 3-4...maybe. But the DT's that could play in our 3-4/4-3 Hybrid NT position...I'd go Ta'amu, Poe, Chapman, Martin, Fangupo, Jean-Baptiste. Either way, the drop off in talent is pretty substantial from 1-5.

IMO, it is Poe, Ta'amu, and then Jean-Baptiste as far as true NT's go. There are other DT's in the draft that are better, no doubt, but playing as a true NT the others aren't as good. I know the Colts will probably play a hybrid with a combination of 4-3 looks and 3-4 looks but we don't need to draft a DT that fits a 4-3 system because we already have them on the roster. Nevis, Mookie, Matthews, Ogbu, and Moala can all fill the DT roll in the 4-3, but we need a true NT to back up McKinney and Jean-Baptiste is probably the best option.

IMO, it is Poe, Ta'amu, and then Jean-Baptiste as far as true NT's go. There are other DT's in the draft that are better, no doubt, but playing as a true NT the others aren't as good. I know the Colts will probably play a hybrid with a combination of 4-3 looks and 3-4 looks but we don't need to draft a DT that fits a 4-3 system because we already have them on the roster. Nevis, Mookie, Matthews, Ogbu, and Moala can all fill the DT roll in the 4-3, but we need a true NT to back up McKinney and Jean-Baptiste is probably the best option.

See I think you have that backwards. We need a NT for McKinney to back up. What you'll see (if you ever watch the Ravens D) is that "amoeba" defense that disguise what they are lining up in. We can't be subbing NT/DT's in and out. We'd be boned if the opposing team started running no huddle on us. I'm fine with Baptiste, but not in the 5th. 7th round is all I'd be willing to spend on him.

See I think you have that backwards. We need a NT for McKinney to back up. What you'll see (if you ever watch the Ravens D) is that "amoeba" defense that disguise what they are lining up in. We can't be subbing NT/DT's in and out. We'd be boned if the opposing team started running no huddle on us. I'm fine with Baptiste, but not in the 5th. 7th round is all I'd be willing to spend on him.

Well, a NT for McKinney to back up may be the ultimate goal for the future but finding an immediate rookie starter in the mid rds. is probably a little unrealistic. McKinney may not be the answer at NT but I would bet he'll at least be the starter this yr.. Baptiste is not the greatest of prospects but he is like trying to move a brick wall, he never quits on a play(from what I've seen of him), and he'll give his all every down. Regardless if a team is running a no huddle on us or not, we'll still ned a good backup NT and right now we don't have one. Despite what Grigson says, Mookie is not a 3-4 NT, he'll get destroyed. I would spend a 5th on Baptiste in a second flat because at that point in the draft you're highly unlikely to hit a home run on anybody you pick. Sure, its possible but the chances are very low. May as well use the pick to fill a position of need with a decent prospect. I know every GM says we'll draft BPA, but thats just a company line. They always look to fill positions of need.

Well, a NT for McKinney to back up may be the ultimate goal for the future but finding an immediate rookie starter in the mid rds. is probably a little unrealistic. McKinney may not be the answer at NT but I would bet he'll at least be the starter this yr.. .

Unless you got a quality NT like Ta'amu or Chapman in the 3rd...

I would spend a 5th on Baptiste in a second flat because at that point in the draft you're highly unlikely to hit a home run on anybody you pick.

When nobody has him on their boards with a 5th round grade, and we've got the 1st pick in the 5th round...that's defined as reaching. No bueno. I can see you like him. That's fine. I like him too...in the 7th. Apparently so does everyone else.

Players possibly available in the 5th round that would be better choices/more beneficial to us than a backup NT :

Vontaze Burfict - ILB

Donnie Fletcher - CB

Joe Adams - WR

Brandon Taylor - SS

Jarius Wright - WR

Tauren Poole - RB

Lucas Nix - OG

T.Y. Hilton - WR

Tommy Streeter - WR

Emmanuel Acho - OLB

to name a few that I would MUCH rather take over Baptiste

but hey...it's your mock draft. i'm just stating my opinion (and a lot of others') that you took him too early. Could have had him way later.

Unless you got a quality NT like Ta'amu or Chapman in the 3rd...

When nobody has him on their boards with a 5th round grade, and we've got the 1st pick in the 5th round...that's defined as reaching. No bueno. I can see you like him. That's fine. I like him too...in the 7th. Apparently so does everyone else.

Players possibly available in the 5th round that would be better choices/more beneficial to us than a backup NT :

Vontaze Burfict - ILB

Donnie Fletcher - CB

Joe Adams - WR

Brandon Taylor - SS

Jarius Wright - WR

Tauren Poole - RB

Lucas Nix - OG

T.Y. Hilton - WR

Tommy Streeter - WR

Emmanuel Acho - OLB

to name a few that I would MUCH rather take over Baptiste

but hey...it's your mock draft. i'm just stating my opinion (and a lot of others') that you took him too early. Could have had him way later.

If we could get Ta'amu in the 3rd I would be happy with that, but IMO he'll be gone in the 2nd.

Of the players you listed Streeter would be the only one I would take and I think they'll address WR a little earlier in the draft. Burfict is a head case and very well could go undrafted and I wouldn't take a RB at all in this draft.

I also seen an article, but I forget where it was that said the Raiders were targeting Baptiste with their 1st pick in the draft, which I believe is in the 3rd rd.. That is way too high, but were talking about the Raiders so who knows?

If we could get Ta'amu in the 3rd I would be happy with that, but IMO he'll be gone in the 2nd.

Of the players you listed Streeter would be the only one I would take and I think they'll address WR a little earlier in the draft. Burfict is a head case and very well could go undrafted and I wouldn't take a RB at all in this draft.

I also seen an article, but I forget where it was that said the Raiders were targeting Baptiste with their 1st pick in the draft, which I believe is in the 3rd rd.. That is way too high, but were talking about the Raiders so who knows?

why would you not take a RB? do you believe that the two we have will suffice? If so...you are crazy lol

why would you not take a RB? do you believe that the two we have will suffice? If so...you are crazy lol

I do not value RB's highly at all. We have Brown, Carter, and Evans(who is pretty good). I have said it 1000 times but I'll say it again, RB's are a dime a dozen most NFL teams have come to realize this by now. It is much more important to have a good O-line(not that the Colts do, but they are better now than last yr.) Any RB with the slightest of skills can look good behind a good O-line. RB is the absolute most over rated position in all of football.

I do not value RB's highly at all. We have Brown, Carter, and Evans(who is pretty good). I have said it 1000 times but I'll say it again, RB's are a dime a dozen most NFL teams have come to realize this by now. It is much more important to have a good O-line(not that the Colts do, but they are better now than last yr.) Any RB with the slightest of skills can look good behind a good O-line. RB is the absolute most over rated position in all of football.

Tell that to the Texans who got a top 5 RB as an undrafted free agent who literally accounts for about 50% of their offense. Low risk high reward players are the way to go. In our new system ran by Arians, RB will be key. I don't see getting too far with the current RB group. Carter has potential, but I'm not so sure about Evans and Brown. Grabbing a RB in the later rounds with a comp pick is completely worth the risk.

Tell that to the Texans who got a top 5 RB as an undrafted free agent who literally accounts for about 50% of their offense. Low risk high reward players are the way to go. In our new system ran by Arians, RB will be key. I don't see getting too far with the current RB group. Carter has potential, but I'm not so sure about Evans and Brown. Grabbing a RB in the later rounds with a comp pick is completely worth the risk.

The Texans and Foster are a prime example of what im talking about. Foster was an UDFA and now he's considered one of the best RB's in the league. You don't have to waste picks on them because they are everywhere if you have the right people looking for them.

The Texans and Foster are a prime example of what im talking about. Foster was an UDFA and now he's considered one of the best RB's in the league. You don't have to waste picks on them because they are everywhere if you have the right people looking for them.

the problem with that, is it's so object-able. I could have used that same argument for your NT pick. It's rare, but nobody is drafting quarterback's in the 7th expecting them to be Tom Brady.

Case and point...Baptiste, a backup NT at best, isn't worth a 5th round pick. Especially if you are listening to your own logic.

the problem with that, is it's so object-able. I could have used that same argument for your NT pick. It's rare, but nobody is drafting quarterback's in the 7th expecting them to be Tom Brady.

We could argue about this all day probably but my point is and its also just my opinion(although, I think most teams think this way now too.) like I said, the key to a good run game has much more to do with a good O-line than it does about a good RB. Yes, there are RB's out there that have that special skill set, but they are rare. Thats why you see so many teams going to a 2 back set instead of having a feature back. You can have 2 or 3 mediocre RB's and a good o-line and get every bit as much production(if not more) than teams that utilize a feature back. IMO, unless you just don't have any RB's on the roster, then there is no need to use picks on them. We have 3 guys on the roster(1 of them being a former 1st rder.) Carter is a change of pace back and Evans could fill in nicely for either of them. If they still feel like they need more depth, they could choose from the 100's of them that will go undrafted this yr. and probably still find one that could be just as productive as any late rd. pick.

IMO, RB is the easiest position to fill on the entire roster.

We could argue about this all day probably but my point is and its also just my opinion(although, I think most teams think this way now too.) like I said, the key to a good run game has much more to do with a good O-line than it does about a good RB. Yes, there are RB's out there that have that special skill set, but they are rare. Thats why you see so many teams going to a 2 back set instead of having a feature back. You can have 2 or 3 mediocre RB's and a good o-line and get every bit as much production(if not more) than teams that utilize a feature back. IMO, unless you just don't have any RB's on the roster, then there is no need to use picks on them. We have 3 guys on the roster(1 of them being a former 1st rder.) Carter is a change of pace back and Evans could fill in nicely for either of them. If they still feel like they need more depth, they could choose from the 100's of them that will go undrafted this yr. and probably still find one that could be just as productive as any late rd. pick.

I agree we could argue this all day. My point is, if your goal is to have a successful running game, saying "we can get an undrafted free agent that will be just as good as Trent Richardson" isn't really the way I'd go if I were a GM. I know it can happen and there are the Arian Fosters, but there are also a lot of Petersons' and Jones-Drews' who go in the top two rounds and show why they did. Any skill position player is usually at the top for a reason. Anyway. Rant over...carry on lol. We'll see what happens in the draft.

I agree we could argue this all day. My point is, if your goal is to have a successful running game, saying "we can get an undrafted free agent that will be just as good as Trent Richardson" isn't really the way I'd go if I were a GM. I know it can happen and there are the Arian Fosters, but there are also a lot of Petersons' and Jones-Drews' who go in the top two rounds and show why they did. Any skill position player is usually at the top for a reason. Anyway. Rant over...carry on lol. We'll see what happens in the draft.

Do you really want to spend days and days arguing and debating things again? are you that much of a masochist? I agree with ya :lol:

Thanks for your feedback! NT is a big need without a doubt but so is the Offense. Offense for me has a higher priority right now and I think we should be fine with McKinney and Jean-Baptiste at least for this year. And who knows, maybe one of them turns out to be a decent starter. There are some nice prospects at the DT position for next year and I would invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft to improve the d-line.