Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Losing the team - Revisited

indyagent17

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You have to think the O, and especially Wentz, was like WTX when we handed off 3 straight times after dominating them like we did. Once we got into the RZ it was like, who cares if we have a hurt kicker.... we'll just try to pound the rock... 

Also, you have to think the D gets tired of playing way off the LOS so much and just letting QBs kill us underneath. I get we're trying to not give up the big play, but if you're playing that far off, you're going to give up 1Ds over and over again. And it will just wear down the D.

Cover 2 has to be the most overrated defense ever.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This has already been rehashed by other posters. Had Reich kicked the extra point and we go up 23-3, The Ravens would kick the extra point to pull within 23-10, 22-9/23-10 same difference. The failed 2 point conversion is not why we lost. 

We would have been up by 9. So that is a huge difference 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Didn’t the players give Reich the game ball after the Miami game. I don’t think he has lost the locker room.

First of all Miami is a weak team with a below average QB. The game on Monday night really put a spotlight on the mistakes that coach made. We won in Miami and gave up a 19 point lead late in the third against Baltimore. My issue is that coach cost us the game with a lot of bad decisions. I guarantee he didn’t get a game ball after this game 

16 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It was two short passes, one of which Taylor turned into a huge game all of his own. I can understand going back to him.

But mostly, the last time they passed it on that drive, Wentz got sacked, which would have likely be the end of that drive, but they got bailed out by the penalty.

I imagine Reich didn’t want to risk getting sacked again and putting his hurt K further out (or worse, turning the ball over). Plus, they were forcing BAL to use their timeouts and wanted to let the defense rest. They were up by 8 points…running the ball is definitely the play. 

Here's the series I was talking about.

6 straight runs. Sorry, I don't care if Wentz got sack once before. Give him an easy pass to the flat or quick slant.  He should have had at least 2 easy high % passes in those 6 plays. Maybe a wheel with JT.

1st & 10 at BAL 27

(7:36 - 4th) J.Taylor left end to BLT 20 for 7 yards (B.Stephens; J.Houston).

2nd & 3 at BAL 20

(6:57 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor up the middle to BLT 18 for 2 yards (P.McPhee, C.Campbell).

(6:11 - 4th) Timeout #1 by IND at 06:11.

3rd & 1 at BAL 18

(6:11 - 4th) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 17 for 1 yard (P.Queen).

(6:08 - 4th) Timeout #1 by BLT at 06:08.

1st & 10 at BAL 17

(6:07 - 4th) J.Taylor left end to BLT 18 for -1 yards (P.McPhee).

(6:03 - 4th) Timeout #2 by BLT at 06:03.

2nd & 11 at BAL 18

(6:03 - 4th) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 15 for 3 yards (B.Williams).

3rd & 8 at BAL 15

(5:18 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 19 for -4 yards (C.Campbell).

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I didn't I thought it was the right play. Blankenship had already made a longer fg, so it was reasonable to believe he could make it. Then it really wasn't Blankenships fault on the block that was on Glowinski getting lazy. 

Not sure I run it 6 or 3 times in a row... Not with our D playing prevent and so much time left. 

And Blank can miss an XP, he's a dice roll regardless.

I posted comments on Glow, and I'm just not sure you pin it on him. He seemed to be going low, and Davenport on his exterior side did not follow technique (interior foot should be stepped over exterior foot of the guy to the interior) and was blown back.

7 hours ago, ryta1203 said:

Cover 2 has to be the most overrated defense ever.

I think it's fine if you have the right personnel. Every coverage has it's strengths and weaknesses, and every coverage has it's proper time for use. Just not sure we have the right personnel in at times, and not sure we use it when we should. No way I put BoPete on and Island for example with Brown on that 46 yard TD (in C3). We just begged them to throw a go route with our backup's backup in, and Odum was playing FS to boot.

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's the series I was talking about.

6 straight runs. Sorry, I don't care if Wentz got sack once before. Give him an easy pass to the flat or quick slant.  He should have had at least 2 easy high % passes in those 6 plays. Maybe a wheel with JT.

1st & 10 at BAL 27

(7:36 - 4th) J.Taylor left end to BLT 20 for 7 yards (B.Stephens; J.Houston).

2nd & 3 at BAL 20

(6:57 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor up the middle to BLT 18 for 2 yards (P.McPhee, C.Campbell).

(6:11 - 4th) Timeout #1 by IND at 06:11.

3rd & 1 at BAL 18

(6:11 - 4th) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 17 for 1 yard (P.Queen).

(6:08 - 4th) Timeout #1 by BLT at 06:08.

1st & 10 at BAL 17

(6:07 - 4th) J.Taylor left end to BLT 18 for -1 yards (P.McPhee).

(6:03 - 4th) Timeout #2 by BLT at 06:03.

2nd & 11 at BAL 18

(6:03 - 4th) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 15 for 3 yards (B.Williams).

3rd & 8 at BAL 15

(5:18 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor left guard to BLT 19 for -4 yards (C.Campbell).

THIS

Reich strikes again.

1. Coach knew or kicker was hurt and soft.

2. Even though he didn’t try to get a first down. 

3. If we threw on 2nd down(screen or other safe pass) It may have worked or not.

4. 3rd down positioned for a field goal (see point 1) If we at least tried to get a first down that would have showed us that coach was paying attention to the facts that were known. 

This and so much more in this and many other games that Reich gets overwhelmed or lost. 

Archived