Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'A Godfather Offer'

Mackrel829

Why is this term used to refer to sports transactions?

A 'godfather offer' in sporting terms is an offer so good that it can't be turned down. It's something generous and favourable to an almost ludicrous degree and thoroughly beneficial to the team receiving (and almost certainly accepting) the offer.

The 'offer' that is made in the film The Godfather is not an offer at all, however. It's a euphemism for a threat of physical violence and death.

When we say, for example, that it would take a 'godfather offer' for the Patriots to trade up to #1 this year, what we're saying is that Bill Belichick is going to phone Trent Baalke and tell him that he's going to kill him if he doesn't trade him the first overall pick.

Can you tell that I'm bored this afternoon?

On 4/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, Mackrel829 said:

Why is this term used to refer to sports transactions?

A 'godfather offer' in sporting terms is an offer so good that it can't be turned down. It's something generous and favourable to an almost ludicrous degree and thoroughly beneficial to the team receiving (and almost certainly accepting) the offer.

The 'offer' that is made in the film The Godfather is not an offer at all, however. It's a euphemism for a threat of physical violence and death.

When we say, for example, that it would take a 'godfather offer' for the Patriots to trade up to #1 this year, what we're saying is that Bill Belichick is going to phone Trent Baalke and tell him that he's going to kill him if he doesn't trade him the first overall pick.

Can you tell that I'm bored this afternoon?

I know this is SO RIDICULOUS!! I can't tell you how much this pisses me off. Whenever people say that I instantly get enraged and want to storm off. It's not supposed to be used for this, like why would a GM threaten another. I don't think those people know anything about the NFL. :)

Archived