Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers Off-Season Projections

The 49ers have 43 pending FAs to make decisions about and currently $10.9 million in available cap space.  Doesn't look like they have a whole lot of bonus money that can be reallocated to another year that can free up cap space and could only get back around $3.8m by cutting lose RB Mostert, LB Nzeocha and WR Benjamin.  After breaking down their pending FAs they have got a lot of players who need to be resigned but may hit the open market.  Honestly the only smart choice for the 49ers is trying to trade Garoppolo or simply cut him gaining $23 million in cap space and only incurring $2.8 million in dead cap space for the year.  By trading or cutting Garoppolo the 49ers would have more freedom to resign FAs and be more comfortable with a projected $33.87 million in cap space.  They clearly have a lot of starting players that need to be resigned and may to do just that to resign roughly 10 players than barely none at all.

One key player the team will have to consider retaining next year is their top MLB Fred Warner who is already looking at a $15 million extension or they could trade/cut him saving $2.75 million this year against the cap.  Warner would be my top ideal replacement for Anthony Walker hands down.

49ers Pending Free Agents

LT Trent Williams - probably looking at an $18 million contract minimum and is on my Colts wish list to get.  Nobody better than Williams in the league and even when he starts to decline will still be better than 3/4 of the league.  Can't see the 49ers affording to resign him tbh

TE Jordan Reed should be retained as insurance for around $3 million

RCB Jason Verrett who seems hit/miss may command 10-12 million this offseason.  As much as we could use help at RCB I don't want a 5'10" DB whom never know which kid was going to show up to play each week.  The one who looked like the could shutdown a team one week and look completely lost the next.

LCB Ahekllo Witherspoon is one they should try to resign and probably will low ball offer $2.5 million for 2021.   He split time with other FA Richard Sherman whom I don't see them resigning.  Witherspoon looks like he has the measurements the Colts would like at 6'2" 195 lbs 4.45 speed.  Clearly played well only 33.2% snaps earning a PFF grade of 80.2 and hope the Colts pursue him with a higher offer around $3.5 million starting offer or more.

SS Jaquisiki Tartt is one player the 49ers should try to resign assuming around $6.5 million 

WR Kendrick Bourne looked like a star at times and the 49ers should look to retain his services for $6.3 million

RDE Ronald Blaire III was a good positional backup they should try to resign but might also be a good FA acquisition

RDE Kerry Hyder definitely is the teams starter and will look at a $11 million contract

QB C.J. Beathard played decent in 2020 and without Garoppolo will need someone to take over.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers actually trade up from 12th to land them a new starting QB in the draft

RB RFA Jeff Wilson took over as the starting RB.  This kid went undrafted to the top of their depth chart and clearly needs to be resigned.

TE Ross Dwelley looked like a good piece of their TE group and also should be retained for probably $3.5 million

RCB RFA Emmanuel Moseley was a solid backup/starter playing around 50% of their team's snaps.  Solid 2019 according to PFF with a 70.0 grade and only a 58.3 grade in 2020

C/RG Daniel Brunskill is the teams starter and obviously needs to be resigned am thinking he seeks $6 million contract

RDT D.J. Jones is the starter and should get a small $2 million contract

SS Marcell Harris was a backup or more their SPT player who probably get a small 800k contract

Top named Free Agents Lost

DE Ezekiel Anash - ignore

RG Tom Compton - ignore

CB Richard Sherman - someone will probably pay him $5 million

LDT Solomon Thomas - ignore

RB Tevin Coleman - should sign somewhere for $1 million

CB K'Waun Williams - small sized DB may look for $2-4 million but not interested 

QB Nick Mullins - played 55% of the teams snaps and threw 12 tds and 12 ints for 2437 yards.

Potential Colts FA Targets

LT Trent Williams - $18 million contract with $5 million bonuses first year

LCB Ahkello Witherspoon - $3.5 - $4m range

RDE Ronald Blaire III - young 27 yo gets 2-5 sacks per year and 8-10 tfls.  2019 PFF grade of 77.5 playing 19% snaps.  Probably get for around $2.5 million

QB Jimmy Garoppolo the one year wonder kid from 2019.  Is the worth the risk/reward as bounce back POY?  2019 had almost 4000 yards passing and with 27 TDs and 13 Ints.  Our OL is much better than the 49ers where he wouldn't get sacks as often which is probably a good thing as he fumbled the ball in 2019 ten times and lost five.  Already 29 years old and not much of proven player so kind of hard to tell if even worth the risk of signing for 2-3 years compared to other QBs seeking to hit the market.  Wouldn't think teams would sign long term because still a lot of uncertainty I feel surrounding Garoppolo. 

In the end I can't see the Colts pursuing Garoppolo.  The 49ers will have to move him one way or another just to build a functioning team.  Now offer a trade for MLB Fred Warner (signed to a long-term contract) and acquire LT Trent Williams and I would be a happy Colts' fan.

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Now offer a trade for MLB Fred Warner (signed to a long-term contract) and acquire LT Trent Williams and I would be a happy Colts' fan.

Williams is a somewhat realistic possibility because he's a FA, but there's no way they're trading Warner. They're a team that thinks they're a few pieces away from contending and I don't see any way they trade their star LB. That would be like us talking about trading Leonard.

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

Williams is a somewhat realistic possibility because he's a FA, but there's no way they're trading Warner. They're a team that thinks they're a few pieces away from contending and I don't see any way they trade their star LB. That would be like us talking about trading Leonard.

Have already ran the numbers and no way could afford Fred if we go after Stafford and Williams.

Archived