Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite memories of Ventrone and Eberflus -- Beating the Pats

ColtsFanMikeC

Just doing some research into our ST and D coordinators.

Ventrone has a pretty cool story, he was unsigned by the Pats in 2005 and bounced around from their practice squad to NFL Europa, then to the Jets, back to the Pats, spent some time on the Browns and ended with the 49ers.  If you watch the "Get to Know" video of Ventrone, his first memory that comes up when asked about his best football memory was beating the Pats when he was a player for the Browns.  Pretty impressive that he was able to last almost 10 years in the league as an UDFA who was never more than a STer.

Oddly enough, Eberflus was the LB coach for the Browns the same year Ventrone was a STer there.  In his "Get to Know" video, his favorite football memory was also beating the Pats when he was with the Browns.

Obviously, it's hard to tell from 3-4 minute interviews and the 'get to know' hot seat.... but so far I like all these guys as they seem to be pretty good people.  

On a side note, here's a quote from Belichik on Ray 'Bubba' Ventrone:  "Ray is fast and he's tough. No one works harder than Ray. He's a smart football player. He puts his heart and soul into it every time he steps onto the field. It doesn't matter if it's regular season or postseason game or a walkthrough practice. He has that same intensity and same level of competitiveness on every single play. You've got to love that about Ray. He's a tough kid. He's got good speed. He's got good quickness. He's strong for his size. He's not a real tall guy, but he's well put together. He's got good power and he plays very aggressively. That stuff will carry a long way."

Probably a good reason why the Pats hired him as their assistant ST coach the year after he retired as a player.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I actually don't mind Belichick now. I just hate that McDingleberry guy they have as their OC. I can't wait to see the look on his face when the Pats tell him they're going in a different direction at head coach.

I have never really minded Belichick... he's a weird dude, but he is certainly an amazing coach (even if he cheats a little, but I'm sure that goes on to an extent everywhere).

I just like Eberflus and Ventrone both thought of beating the Pats as one of their fondest memories in their football careers.  "The rivalry is back on..."

On 2/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, neug3246 said:

Remember the NFL is still a show

Oh, I know it... that said, I am pretty sure if you were an assistant coach with no SB titles or a ST player with no SB titles and  you beat New England (in dynasty form) by 3 TDs while you were on the Cleveland Browns (5-11, so better than normal Browns), it'd probably be a pretty darned memorable moment.