Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 61st Year Watching The Colts

King Colt

7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Sorry, but almost everyone saw it coming, IMO.  Roesnbloom threatened to move them to Tampa (his home)  every year. He was the first to make the season ticket holders  buy preseason tickets, saying he'd move them clear back in 67.  He wanted a new stadium so badly, he traded the Colts to Irsay in 72 for the Rams.  Then Irsay would give drunken interviews after games saying he and the city agreed on a new stadium, only to deny it the next day when he had sobered.

The newspaper clippings I got in the 80s were so convincing they were moving, I was looking to buy a satellite receiver in 83, so I could watch the Colts from Phoenix- where the editorials all said Irsay was moving them.

You are correct in your history but my point was the element of the move that is considered sneaking out in the dark. Irsay got pounded back then for this back door exit and it is still viewed s a stab in the back to the city of Baltimore's Colts fans. Can you imagine if this happened today in the social media world?!

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

You are correct in your history but my point was the element of the move that is considered sneaking out in the dark. Irsay got pounded back then for this back door exit and it is still viewed s a stab in the back to the city of Baltimore's Colts fans. Can you imagine if this happened today in the social media world?!

The internet can be good,  or evil. Social media can focus more mob  hate and discontent than the One Hundred Years War.

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Dec. 31, 1967 - I watched my first NFL game - the "Ice Bowl" - I can remember, on a black white TV in our home at Fort Bragg, NC.  That game hooked me on football.  My next NFL memory is watching the Colts in 68 - that hooked me on the Colts.

Yeah I became a fan when I just turned 13 and the Colts played their first Regular Season game here in September of 1984. The first 3 seasons were Bad but 1987 when we got the Dickerson put us on the map.