Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think she meant out of the teams that haven't won a WS since 1990. Braves won one in 1995 as you know. I would say the 2001 Mariners and the 2016 Indians are #1 and 2 to me.

Yeah, that is what I meant.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That 1995 Indians went 100-44 in that shortened season, man they were Great but it was the Braves time to get over the hump.

Wow. That may be even better than the Mariners. I don't remember their record being so good. 

I remember one year that the Expos were on their way to having a great year but something happened. Did the strike take place mid-year. I can't recall now.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last years Dodgers went 104-58. Had they won the WS they would've surpassed the 2016 Cubs who went 103-58 as the best team record wise to win a WS this decade. They didn't so I am happy to still have that as a Cubs fan :thmup:

Hey I pay attention to that stuff, thank you Astros :funny:

Just now, NFLfan said:

Wow. That may be even better than the Mariners. I don't remember their record being so good. 

I remember one year that the Expos were on their way to having a great year but something happened. Did the strike take place mid-year. I can't recall now.

I believe that's right

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The 1994 Expos were 74-40 and then the strike cometh!

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1994 Expos were 74-40 and then the strike cometh!

What a shame! Then MLB got rid of the team. They had some good players like Dennis Martinez, Tim Wallach, Andres Gallaraga, former Met Hubie Brooks, Tim Raines. 

Btw, is Raines in the HoF yet?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes. Raines just got in last year. He was an awesome player.

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Thanks. I thought he got in but was not sure. 

Who are some guys who will not make it in but who probably should?

Edgar Martinez

Mike Mussina

Fred McGriff

How about Harold Baines? He was a good player. Not great, I guess. When I hear Tim Raines, Harold Baines comes to mind, only because their names rhyme and they played in the same era.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Edgar Martinez

Mike Mussina

Fred McGriff

How about Harold Baines. When I hear Tim Raines, Harold Baines comes to mind, only because their names rhyme and they played in the same era.

There are a ton of players that should but wont

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Edgar Martinez

Mike Mussina

Fred McGriff

How about Harold Baines? He was a good player. Not great, I guess. When I hear Tim Raines, Harold Baines comes to mind, only because their names rhyme and they played in the same era.

Baines should be in IMO, he had 2,866 Hits and batted .289. He probably wont get in though, he would've been in by now if so. He retired in 2001.

Mets 1969 player Ed Charles died recently. He went to many Mets games in the last 20 years. I saw him a couple of times. I also saw Stan Musial at Shea Stadium once. He walked right past me with his entourage. Everyone yelled, "That is Stan the Man."

Mets 1969 player Ed Charles died recently. He went to many Mets games in the last 20 years. I saw him a couple of times. I also saw Stan Musial at Shea Stadium once. He walked right past me with his entourage. Everyone yelled, "That is Stan the Man."

And a man he was   

Well worth the watch

Who are some of your favorite players from before say, 2000 (meaning not Bryant, Yadi, or David Wright/Jose Reyes)? 

Hard for me to say because we haven't had a lot of stars and some of my favorite players are from 2000 and on. I liked Howard Johnson and Dwight Gooden a lot in my younger years. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lou Gehrig was another that was a man 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he was unreal, Yankees had a bunch of them guys. DiMaggio and Mantle, etc.. Ted Williams for RedSox was too.

:thinking:How do you define that? What makes them "a man" and not someone else?

Who are some of your favorite players from before say, 2000 (meaning not Bryant, Yadi, or David Wright/Jose Reyes)? 

Hard for me to say because we haven't had a lot of stars and some of my favorite players are from 2000 and on. I liked Howard Johnson and Dwight Gooden a lot in my younger years. 

Ryne Sandberg and Andrew Dawson as a Cubs fan but some others, I liked Gooden, Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, and Greg Maddux even with the Braves to name a few.

7 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

One of my all times is not a Cardinal I absolutely loved Roberto Clemente

Yeah, he was a humanitarian. I never saw him play. I once spoke to his son, Roberto Clemente Jr, on the radio on WFAN in NY. He was filling in for another host who was on vacation. That was a long time ago. I have not called into a radio show in many years. Twice I had clients call me and tell me they heard me on the radio. :omg: So, I stopped calling in. 

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol I love baseball !

Yeah me too. It is currently my favorite sport. I love the Colts and Pacers but Baseball is the stuff right now. Instant Replay so Umps cant cheat, team with the best record has HFA again, and the parity is endless. There are at least 10 teams that can win the WS this season.

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol I love baseball !

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah me too. It is currently my favorite sport. I love the Colts and Pacers but Baseball is the stuff right now. Instant Replay so Umps cant cheat, team with the best record has HFA again, and the parity is endless. There are at least 10 teams that can win the WS this season.

I think this baseball thread makes us enjoy it more. We are all civil and we can talk baseball without bickering. We should win the Thread of the Year award, if there was one. 

I think this baseball thread makes us enjoy it more. We are all civil and we can talk baseball without bickering. We should win the Thread of the Year award, if there was one. 

Yeah people should take notice on how we Post in here on this Thread, they may learn something valuable. Who wants to bicker and be negative all the time. On this Thread that doesn't fly!

Archived