Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Running Punt" Play

King Colt

Watching college ball all day yesterday I saw some of the punters running or slow trotting after the ball is hiked. I was wondering why. One broadcaster said the reason for the movement is to male it harder for the charging defenders to determine when to let up to avoid roughing the kicker calls. It makes sense to me and wonder why they don't do it in the pros. The kickers once they get the ball take a few steps to their right or left before they kick it in case you have not seen it.

I believe what you are seeing in the new rugby-style kick being used in college.  While there are a lot of pluses for it, I think the reason we won't see it in the NFL for a while is it takes longer to go through the process.  If it isn't a perfect snap, the NFL speed will get back there before they can go through the motions.  I could be wrong but that's just how I view it.

Watching college ball all day yesterday I saw some of the punters running or slow trotting after the ball is hiked. I was wondering why. One broadcaster said the reason for the movement is to male it harder for the charging defenders to determine when to let up to avoid roughing the kicker calls. It makes sense to me and wonder why they don't do it in the pros. The kickers once they get the ball take a few steps to their right or left before they kick it in case you have not seen it.

It's a Rugby style kick.  I don't know what advantages it gives, but I know I was watching Iowa play and they used both a traditional punter and the rugby style punter based on the situation.  

Ok here are some links that sort of explain things.  Apparently the rules of the NFL are different which would make Rugby style kicks harder to import.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/11/20/rugby-punts-becoming-special-teams-trend-in-college-football/

http://www.dawgsports.com/2011/9/29/2459069/college-football-special-teams-rugby-style-punt-brandon-boykin

I believe what you are seeing in the new rugby-style kick being used in college.  While there are a lot of pluses for it, I think the reason we won't see it in the NFL for a while is it takes longer to go through the process.  If it isn't a perfect snap, the NFL speed will get back there before they can go through the motions.  I could be wrong but that's just how I view it.

Apparently from my reading, in college ball your players can release to go after the receiver immediately after the snap.  Which I suppose helps explain the more spread out punt formations in college ball.  Apparently the Rugby style kick buys them even extra time to do this and it also can be awkward to catch improving your chances of a muffed punt.

In the NFL apparently only 1 player, the gunner can take off right after the snap and the rest have to wait for the kick to be completed.  So that fact would essentially negate the advantage gained from the extra time a Rugby style punt takes to develop.

I suppose if they changed that rule in the NFL so that everyone can take off after the snap then it might be imported in the NFL at least on a situational basis.