Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com gives Colts Day 2 Draft an A+

NewColtsFan

That 1st round pick just throws off what should be an A+ draft. BPA or not, when you've got Malcolm Brown, Landon Collins, and Eddie Goldman sitting there at 29, you have to go against the grain. That's when you roll the dice.

Dorsett is a tremendous player, but given the depth at the position on this team, we essentially drafted a KR/PR in the first round.

That pick is like a bad dent on an otherwise perfectly beautiful car. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

You know, it wasn't long ago that Luck was having to throw to the likes of Brazil, Rogers and Whalen because of injuries. If you have one or two WR's go down, your once deep WR core gets shrunk pretty quick. I liked the flashes I saw from Moncrief last year but there isn't a guarantee he will flourish. Johnson is essentially Wayne 2.0 at this point. Carter will be a wildcard. We saw that once the Patriots locked down TY, no one else got open consistently. The Colts taking Dorsett is beneficial in more than one way.

1. Brings depth to a position

2. Has the capability to be a star WR (which by the way the Colts only have one at this point)

3. Takes care of the punt/kick returner issue

The only position Colts fans should be mad about "wasting" a pick on would be quarterback.

hmmm....

NFL.com gives us an A+ but obviously Mike Wells from ESPN hates everything we do and downgraded all our picks.

Walterfootball gives a B average

SI gave us a B- for round 1

SuperbowlNation gave us an overall B+

I'd say we are more in the B range overall.

Overall, I feel Dorsett is by far the biggest talent boost we picked up, despite myself being a bit upset that we didn't address our defensive needs while so many ridiculously talented defenders were on the board. There was such a run on defenders in the 2nd round, whatever choices we had narrowed quickly. 

Hopefully our day 2 guys can actually start on week 1 and have impact, but who knows. Not a fan of arbitrary grading systems. I'd have to call our efforts so far as rather average, nothing to jump out of my seat about. 

I think it is too early to grade this draft.  After the season, or maybe more appropriately in year 3 we can look back and judge.

As of now, I'm very optimistic.  Luck is the best young QB in football (maybe the best, with Rodgers and Brady being the 2 in the conversation).  The more weapons he has, the more ability we give him to win games and take over.  He has shown with a pretty average team that he has the ability to take over the game and win almost by himself (the average team I'm talking about is every offense he's played with so far -- in year 1 he had a stud in Reggie, a so-so WR in Donnie Avery, a rookie in TY, and rookies at TE and RB --- year 2, Reggie and Allen were hurt, our running was atrocious, and it was hard to say we had a threat outside of TY and Fleener -- last year, Reggie struggled, our running was terrible, TY was a threat and our TEs did a pretty good job). 

On offense this year, I think we are going to improve at RB by default without relying on Richardson.  Our WR threats are ridiculous.  TY is a 4.34 forty yard dash guy, Dorsett is a 4.29 forty yard dash guy, Donte Moncrief is a 4.4 or sub-4.4 guy with size.  Andre Johnson is one of the best WRs in NFL history and showed he can still play last year -- he has never come close to playing with a QB as good as Luck.  Then we've got a project in Duron Carter and some other guys with NFL potential to battle for the last roster spot (Vincent Brown, Whalen, Lenz, etc..).  We've got Fleener and Allen coming back, who showed last year to be one of the better TE combos in the league.  Who knows what we'll have with Swoope in the mix.  My point is, there is no team in the league that will be able to keep up with our offense (assuming good health).  The only way teams will be able to 'keep the top' on their defense will be to play back to defend the speed of Dorsett, TY, Moncrief which should open up our ability to run and to use our bigger targets like AJ, Allen, and Fleener.  While I understand some people not liking the Dorsett due to the fact that WR wasn't our biggest 'position of need', I don't think people are giving him the credit that his addition may be the best thing for our run game and our offense in general.  It also seems like Dorsett has ability as a returner, which is an overlooked position where we had serious concern last year.

Every other pick we had, we addressed some kind of need.  I don't know much about the last pick from Mars Hill, but all other players we selected have potential to make an impact. 

You know, it wasn't long ago that Luck was having to throw to the likes of Brazil, Rogers and Whalen because of injuries. If you have one or two WR's go down, your once deep WR core gets shrunk pretty quick. I liked the flashes I saw from Moncrief last year but there isn't a guarantee he will flourish. Johnson is essentially Wayne 2.0 at this point. Carter will be a wildcard. We saw that once the Patriots locked down TY, no one else got open consistently. The Colts taking Dorsett is beneficial in more than one way.

2. Has the capability to be a star WR (which by the way the Colts only have one at this point)

The only position Colts fans should be mad about "wasting" a pick on would be quarterback.

Who is our star at WR?  Are you saying TY or AJ is a star?

Either way, Dorsett on the field helps both these guys out -- and Moncrief, Allen, Fleener, Gore, etc.... I mention some reasons in my post above.  I just don't see how any team will be able to deal with the speed of TY, Dorsett and Moncrief all at once, especially when we have big guys like AJ, Allen, Fleener (and maybe Duron Carter and Erik Swoope) that can catch underneath.

Who is our star at WR?  Are you saying TY or AJ is a star?

Either way, Dorsett on the field helps both these guys out -- and Moncrief, Allen, Fleener, Gore, etc.... I mention some reasons in my post above.  I just don't see how any team will be able to deal with the speed of TY, Dorsett and Moncrief all at once, especially when we have big guys like AJ, Allen, Fleener (and maybe Duron Carter and Erik Swoope) that can catch underneath.

I'd say TY. But he's not on the star level of say Calvin Johnson but he is definitely in that upper tier. AJ is more like a fading star at this point.

I would agree. Having another weapon makes things easier for everyone else.

Great post!

To your first point: I remember several years ago listening to Jimmy Johnson talking about someones draft. The team was criticized for drafting a player at a position that they were already strong at. Jimmy defended them making the point that if you build your team around certain strengths, you need to make sure that in the event of an injury or two, you can still play to those strengths.

I'm not saying this was Grigs sole motivation but it is part of it.