Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson = Matt Millen + Al Davis

BProland85

Grigson's first round pick history:

2012 - Andrew Luck (no credit for this pick, you'd have to have been blind, deaf, and living under a rock to not pick Luck)

2013 - Werner (not a bust, but certainly not deserving of a first round pick in our defense, and doesn't live up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him)

2014 - traded for Trent Richardson (bust)

2015 - Dorsett (a pass catcher on a team loaded with pass catchers while not drafting several defensive players that could have really helped the team immediately)

Grigson's approach seems a little on the emotional side to me.  "Woah!  Frank Gore is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he will be 32 when the season starts and already has nearly 2500 carries and 11000+ yards.  "Woah!  Andre Johnson is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 34 when the season starts and is starting to show signs of declining.  "Woah!  Trent Cole is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 33 before the midway point of the season.  "Woah!  This Werner guy can bat balls down like JJ Watt?  Let's draft him"...and ignore the fact that he doesn't fit in our defense/our defensive coaches have shown that they can't utilize talent to its maximum potential.

I'm starting to hop on the fire Grigson bandwagon

I have been saying this for the past 2 years and getting killed for it.Grigson needs to go 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorset was a luxury pick. We are so close to the SB...but our Achilles heel has been run defense. I don't think it really matters who we put on the field in the WR position. Luck will make a great player out of any of them. We need a real game changer on defense.

Combine that with criticizing the coachspeak, and it's just exhausting. It's not just making fun of him and Pagano for some of the things they say. It's to the point that I'd think you want them to not be excited about the players they sign/draft. "Yeah, we got this Werner kid, but we're not too sure about him. He's okay, I guess." "We just traded a first for this back, and we hope he works out, but you know, they traded him for a reason..." To me, being positive about a player acquisition isn't a bad thing.

I agree.  It's great to be positive.  But I think they should also be realistic.  Guys like Montori Hughes have been hyped like they're the second coming of Ngata.  Richardson was infamously called a "bowling ball of butcher knives".  Regardless, what they say in press conferences isn't a big deal.  I use it as a way of trying to get into their heads to understand their rationale, but that's more because of limited resources on my part than press conferences being any sort of ultimatum.  So I'll see what they say, then see how a guy plays, and there are differences.  They'll hype up Jon Harrison, even after a bad game, and it doesn't make sense to me why they keep playing him or why they keep hyping him up.  I would be completely dumbfounded at how they would say Richardson had a good game when anyone with a pair of eyes could tell you different.  I guess it's more of something I find annoying how they hype up guys and use meaningless cliches.  And perhaps I'm guilty of making too big a deal out of something that's really very meaningless haha.

Well forgive me, then. But I hope you can understand where the confusion comes from. 'Matt Millen and Al Davis were GMs, too, doesn't mean they were good at it' kind of provokes a response. 

Understood.  My apologies for not being as clear as I should have been.

As for the "if they had Luck" thing, Bill Polian had Peyton Manning. He put together teams that were a total of 7 games worse in the first three years than Grigson's Colts with Luck, and they didn't win any playoff games. In their fourth year, they went 6-10 with a -73 point differential, and the coach got fired. The Saints, with Drew Brees, are 25-23 the last three seasons. We don't have to rely on a hypothetical to understand that bad rosters with good QBs, especially rookies, don't go 33-15 with three playoff wins. Grigson deserves some credit, and that goes beyond just picking Luck. He's made many mistakes, and he might not be the right guy to build the long term contender that we want, but this team isn't 33-15 without a lot of Grigson's decisions.

Good point.  Again, I'm not trying to say Grigs is similar to Millen and Davis.  I think Davis was actually ahead of his time, but starting losing it towards the end.  And Millen was just brutal, to put it nicely.  I just meant Millen and Davis wouldn't have as bad records if they had Luck.  Grigs > Millen and Davis towards the end, but Millen + Luck > Millen in reality.  Perhaps with Luck, Millen wouldn't be the architect of the only 0-16 team in NFL history and wouldn't have as bad a reputation.  I also want to reiterate that I do like a lot of moves Grigson has made and he definitely deserves some credit for getting the team to where it is today.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but to the bolded, I think some mistake "didn't run a lot of routes" for "can't run a lot of routes." Miami's offense was severely limited, and Dorsett didn't get a lot of targets, but the routes he ran were all pretty good. There's room for refinement, absolutely. I wouldn't call him a technician. And he's so quick that some of his stick moves and double moves don't look the way some people want them to, but they're still very effective, mostly because of his speed and/or the fear of his speed. Reggie's post routes are a lot different than Dorsett's, but Dorsett gets plenty of separation with his quicker and more compact post. 

It wasn't directed at you haha.  I've just been trying to read up on him.  I've seen NFL.com, CBS Sports, Walter Football, etc. and I'm finding conflicting things on his route running.  Some have said his route running is a weakness while other said he runs very good routes.  I guess they didn't clarify between his route running being a weakness and his route running not being featured in Miami's offense.

And I don't worry about camp reps. We had 10 or 12(?) receivers in camp last year. That's typical. Everyone gets their work in. Once the season starts, we'll probably have five -- Johnson, Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Carter -- and everyone will get reps in practice.