Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we see any extensions after the draft?

Valpo2004

Colts have plenty of big players who are in the final year of their contract and who need an extension if we want to keep them in Indy.

Off the top of my head, Anthony Castanzo, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen are the top names

Plus a few middling players like Toler, Freeman and Chapman.

A few older guys we need to make decisions on, Hasselbeck and Vinny.  

I'm mostly thinking about those top 4 guys.  Do you think they will start signing extensions for some of them after the draft.  I've been curious as to why we havn't heard anything about their extensions this year, but thought maybe they are just waiting for the draft to end.  And I hardly want to go into FA next year with a bunch of these guys still without a contract.

We may be able to decide between Fleener and Allen but we can hardly afford to lose Castanzo and Hilton.  

cap wise after this whole this we'll be screwed. Next year we need to also cut DQ, Gosder, Restructure cole, and extend luck to lower cap hit

I agree on the first two but disagree on the last two. We can't restructure cole because he will have only 1 yr left on his contract and we are not going to extend him. Extending Luck will almost certainly not lower his cap hit in the first year.

I think after the draft the focus shifts towards signing the picks.  Maybe 1 more extension before the season starts (TY or Castonzo).  I wouldn't be concerned with any of it, eventhough there are multiple talented players with contracts expiring.  Indy is a great destination for FA now that they are a powerhouse again, so if one player walks, I don't think it will take much to replace anybody.  Luck was obviously #1 priority to lock up long term, and they will, but everybody else is essentially replaceable.  We don't have a JJ Watt or Rob Gronkowski type player other than Luck and maybe Vontae. So with that being said, I think well keep most of those players you are talking about, but if not, then we will replace them!

As for Hasselbeck and Viniateri, they're veteran leadership won't be necessary, because the team isn't that young anymore.  Not to say they won't be missed, but Luck doesn't need a mentor, and I actually think McAfee could do both P and K (not sure if the coaches will let him tho).