Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TG Draft Prospect Guide - Offensive Line

Projection: Day 1

• Brandon Scherff, T/G, Iowa - A standout run blocking left tackle, who might be better served moving  to the inside. At the very least, he’ll have to move to right tackle. But his strength as a run blocker is undeniable. He’s a pancake machine. 
  • La’El Collins , T/G, LSU - A lockdown tackle who might move to guard or stay on the outside. He gets to the second level well, but one question with him is can he handle NFL speed rushers and remain at left tackle? If the answer to that is no, I see a team reaching for him anyways. He could wind up at right tackle as a rookie as well. 
  • Andrus Peat, T, Stanford - Peat could drop as far as late in the first round and I wouldn’t be surprised as there are some questions about him, but if he reached the second it would be a little shocking. He’s got the prototypical tackle size, and showed off decent athleticism at the combine. Teams might (fairly so) question whether he’s really got the ideal O-lineman’s nasty mentality, as it shows up in his play only sporadically. Could be a top 10 pick, but at the same time it wouldn't be impossible for him to be the BPA where we're picking at 29.
Projection: Day 1-2
  • T.J. Clemmings, T, Pittsburgh - A high ceiling raw tackle that played on the right side in college. He’s got the tools of a left tackle, especially the athleticism, but whether he can put it all together is still undetermined. He excelled in run blocking in his breakout season this year. He struggled at the senior bowl but showed well at the combine and his pro day.
  • Jake Fisher, T, Oregon - A highly athletic tackle, who in fact moves like a tight end. His results at the combine were off the charts and his game tape speaks for itself. He’s a strong prospect, whose biggest question is whether he can anchor at the next level. 
  • Ereck Flowers, T, Miami - He’s a guy who looks amazing in one game tape and pedestrian in the next. Some of that may have had to do with nagging injuries that should be healed by now, but it does bring the medical side into question. He had a mixed outing at the combine, showing off his great strength hitting 37 reps on the bench, but he struggled in drills. 
  • D.J. Humphries, T, Florida - I think he’s likely to go in late round 1 to Carolina, as they desperately need a plug and play left tackle and he’s the closest thing to that who probably won’t be one of the first 24 picks. If not, he won’t slip out of the front half of the second round. Even though he’s got some injury history, he’s just too talented to go later than that. He had a really successful combine and has answered the questions about whether he can carry the weight he needs to play NFL tackle. Still, you would’ve liked to seen more consistency during his time in Flordia.
  • Cameron Erving, C/G, Florida St. - He’s really taken off since moving to center, it looks like he’ll be a strong inside O-lineman at the next level. His versatility increases his value, and he could even play right tackle in a pinch. 

Projection: Day 2
  • Ty Sambrailo, T/G, Colorado St. - I think Sambrailo can almost certainly become a starter at guard or right tackle in the NFL. But he needs a redshirt year to get stronger. He’s got good movement skills and size, he just needs to become more of a mauler.
  • A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina - A solid mauler guard who did a decent job in pass blocking and better in run blocking. He looks to be at least a round 3 pick, possibly round 2. 
  • Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon - He’s a pretty solid all around center. He’s not as powerful as some but he’s very athletic and moves well. 
  • Daryl Williams, T, Oklahoma - Williams is probably limited to the right side as a pro, but he could be a good player. He’s not the quickest guy in the world, by any means. But he’s plays very hard and looks to be a leader on the field. Good size as well. 
  • Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke - Anyone who can show that well in 1 on 1 drills against Danny Shelton has to be rated pretty high. He moves pretty well for as massive of a guy as he is. He will probably be taken in round 3, but even has a chance of late round 2 in my opinion. 
  • Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn - He’s got a classic inside O-lineman’s build. He’s got a good demeanor for the O-line and a good football IQ. His lack of explosiveness is his biggest knock. Most likely to go in round 3, maybe round 2. 

Projection: Day 2-3
  • Cedric Ogbuehi, T, Texas A&M - He was considered a possible day 1 pick before his ACL injury, but I never saw him as better than day 2 anyways. He’s got great physical tools and was dominant as a junior on the right side for A&M but got destroyed in his move to the left side. He could still certainly find his way in as high as round 2 based on his potential, but he could also fall to round 4. 
  • Rob Havenstein, T, Wisconsin - He impressed at the senior bowl, even if he didn’t at the combine. He did a good job run blocking for Mevlin Gordon. 
  • Jamil Douglas, G, Arizona St. - He’s a highly athletic college tackle that will have to kick inside to guard at the next level. A weight room champion, he’s also a standout student. 
  • Ali Marpet, G, Hobart - He’s the big time small school riser this year, there always seems to be one on the O-line. Highly athletic, and he’s showed well against the top defensive prospects of the draft.
  • Donovan Smith, T/G, Penn St. - He’s definitely a work in progress, but he had a pretty good season for Penn St. Maybe goes in round 3 or 4.
  • Tyrus Thompson, T, Oklahoma St. - He’s coming off of a nice season protecting the blindside at Texas A&M. He’s got good arm length and some of the tools you want to see in a tackle. Hasn’t nearly played up to a level where you’d feel comfortable starting him in the NFL yet, however. 

Projection: Day 3
  • Corey Robinson, RT, South Carolina - Has excellent size but he’s slow. He’s pretty much limited to RT as a pro. 
  • Shaq Mason, C, Georgia Tech - I think his run blocking tape is quite impressive. He didn’t get a combine invite. Has an awesome full name by the way: Shaquille Olajuwon Mason. 
  • B.J. Finney, C, Kansas St.  - Excellent size, could’ve snuck into a day 2 projection if he’d had a better combine. 
  • Mitch Morse, T/G, Missouri - I haven’t gotten to watch any tape on him, but he had a pretty nice combine. 
  • Tre Jackson, G, Florida St. - He could’ve been a second round pick if he showed more progress well in his senior year. But I see him as a 4th rounder. 
  • Andy Gallik, C, Boston College - He did a pretty good job run blocking this season. He ran a bad 40 at the combine, but his short shuttle time was actually pretty solid.
  • Sean Hickey, T/G, Syracuse - He played well at left tackle for Syracuse but he’ll probably has to try a move to guard at the pros as his arms are short for the position (although his hands are big). He’ll need a developmental year before he sees the field. 
  • Jeremiah Poutasi, G, Utah - He’ll need to play inside in the pros as he lacks the speed to remain at tackle. Has some potential as a run blocker, maybe should’ve stayed in school for his senior year. 
  • Josue Matias, G, Florida St. - I’ve seen him projected to go as high as round 2, but I think he goes in the 4th round. 
  • Terry Poole, T/G, San Diego St. - Haven’t watched him play, but he ran well at the combine for a big guy.
  • Jarvis Harrison, G, Texas A&M - He’s a fairly high risk pick but he offers a high ceiling for a day 3 pick. Has lots of bulk and is suited to the inside at the NFL level. Ran a good 3 cone drill at the combine.
  • Robert Myers, G, Tennessee St. - Haven’t seen him play at all. He's got good size. Generally thought of as a day 3 pick. 
  • John Miller, G, Louisville - He showed really well at the shrine game. Could be a round 4 or 5 pick.
  • Austin Shepherd, T/G, Alabama - The Alabama tackle might have to move inside at the pro level. With shorter than ideal arms and a lack of speed, guard might be his only shot. 

Thanks for this. Who are the best pass blockers?

Based on college tape I'd say the ones who have looked strong in pass pro are Jake Fisher, D.J. Humphries, Andrus Peat, and La'El Collins (even though he's thought of as more of a run blocker). The draft seems more loaded with run blocking guys than pass protectors.

Based on college tape I'd say the ones who have looked strong in pass pro are Jake Fisher, D.J. Humphries, Andrus Peat, and La'El Collins (even though he's thought of as more of a run blocker). The draft seems more loaded with run blocking guys than pass protectors.

Thanks. The Vikes could use one of them to protect Teddy. Perhaps one will be available in the 2nd (#44 or 45). What do you think?

Thanks. The Vikes could use one of them to protect Teddy. Perhaps one will be available in the 2nd (#44 or 45). What do you think?

If you're thinking tackle you might get lucky if Clemmings, Fisher, or Flowers fell. Any of them would be a steal in The mid 40s. More likely would be Williams or Ogbuehi, who could compete with Khalil.

If you're thinking tackle you might get lucky if Clemmings, Fisher, or Flowers fell. Any of them would be a steal in The mid 40s. More likely would be Williams or Ogbuehi, who could compete with Khalil.

We have a hole at left guard. We released LG Charlie Johnson (a former Colt) a few weeks ago. We have no reliable replacement on the team (Yankey, Joe Berger). I would prefer a veteran but we lost out in our pursuit of Boling and Iupati. We have the 11th pick in the draft. If Scherff drops, we would like him, but not if he cannot protect Teddy. (Actually, I want Waynes at 11 but O-line is the biggest area of need.)

Thanks again!

We have a hole at left guard. We released LG Charlie Johnson (a former Colt) a few weeks ago. We have no reliable replacement on the team (Yankey, Joe Berger). I would prefer a veteran but we lost out in our pursuit of Boling and Iupati. We have the 11th pick in the draft. If Scherff drops, we would like him, but not if he cannot protect Teddy. (Actually, I want Waynes at 11 but O-line is the biggest area of need.)

Thanks again!

Scherff should do fine in pass pro on the inside I think. At the NFL level I don't think he'd be able to take on the speed rushers on the blindside but he's an absolute bull, so on the inside and I think his strength would allow him to handle the big interior pass rushers. But if you guys wind up going round 1 with  Waynes or a wide receiver (less likely after acquiring Wallace I guess) you'll have a shot at a good guard in rounds 2 or 3. Someone like A.J. Cann could probably come in and start as a rookie. Laken Tomlinson is also a possibility. There's a fair chance you could land one of the two even in round 3, or as part of a deal in a trade back into late round 2.

Scherff should do fine in pass pro on the inside I think. At the NFL level I don't think he'd be able to take on the speed rushers on the blindside but he's an absolute bull, so on the inside and I think his strength would allow him to handle the big interior pass rushers. But if you guys wind up going round 1 with Waynes or a wide receiver (less likely after acquiring Wallace I guess) you'll have a shot at a good guard in rounds 2 or 3. Someone like A.J. Cann could probably come in and start as a rookie. Laken Tomlinson is also a possibility. There's a fair chance you could land one of the two even in round 3, or as part of a deal in a trade back into late round 2.

Sounds good. I will look out for your analyses of other positions/players. This site has some of the most knowledgeable football fans! Thank you!