Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets vs San Diego

amfootball

Bradshaw is a really good RB. He runs hard and glad he`s on the Colts. Would never say I`d rather have Brown over Bradshaw. But Brown didn't have a good year last year just because it was a contract year. That is nonsense. He still runs hard, he`s still fast and keeps his legs churning. His numbers aren't great, actually are horrible, but its not lack of effort or being financially comfortable.

Really wouldn't matter who you are with Collie`s injuries, those were vicious shots he took. Very unfortunate. Did you watch the game? I cant argue he`s ever proven to be an every down back, nor against being his first injury. So like when he was with the Colts lets erase the big run and evaluate him with what`s left over to prove your point? The picture being painted on the Colts portion of the forum was that Donald Brown only ran hard and had success last year because it was a "contract year", that I disagree with. This was the first game I got to see him play in this year.He still looked fast and ran hard, not somebody "just going through the motions" and in it just for the money. That is all.

I've never made that accusation/correlation, so it has no barring on my evaluation of him.

He's got a following, and more power to him, but they prop up his play much greater then what he's actually ever produced in IMO.

I think he's too frail to be an every down back, yet we were cautioned all off season of the doom we were in for, when we let him walk.

The reason I mention his longest run, is that even with it he was at 2.9 ypc. He's great being a change of pace back, but thats his ceiling as far as I'm concerned.

The reason I mention his longest run, is that even with it he was at 2.9 ypc. He's great being a change of pace back, but thats his ceiling as far as I'm concerned.

Yep, true dat. Brown, if the holes are HUGE, his vision is not a factor and will get the yardage, something the Colts in trail position while playing against nickel capitalized on a lot last year. In the NFL, the holes are not HUGE, sometimes you need the vision to go sideways and run outside the tackles. Brown gets tackled by the first player he encounters in the open field. Even a slower Mike Hart used to make people miss. Without elusivity and vision inside the pocket, there is only so much you can do as an RB in the NFL. Backup is Brown's ceiling, no doubt.

It seems like you guys are so focused on your argument about Donald Brown - did you miss our UDFA Branden Oliver's performance yesterday?  182 yards from scrimmage in his first rookie game.  We saw this kind of performance out of him during preseason, but of course it wasn't against the #1 NFL rushing defense so we mostly took it with a grain of salt.  The fans had nicknamed him "Sprol-bert" in the summer as he has the quickness, size and moves of Sproles but can run through and over people like Tolbert.   

We were expected to win this one - but no one expected our running game to accomplish what we did.  And NO ONE predicted 31 points on that D.  

Donald's purpose is to pound and pound until they get tired.  His early runs were often losses, even 4 and 5 yard losses as their D were deep in the backfield.  But prior to the nasty, head shot that took him out (the Jets were nasty, dirty players trying to cause injury), he was starting to pile up some good runs.  

I liked what I saw out there.  Toughness and dominance in all 3 phases with incredible injuries piling up.  Can we swap bye weeks with someone?!!!  Assuming we can survive the decimation and start to get some key players back I think we will have some amazing depth - the one thing we've always missed going into the playoffs.

SD is LEGIT...if they can get/stay healthy they are a force to be dealt with. Denver will have their hands full both games with these guys....and yes their young RB looked nice this week! Rivers is playing at MVP level...I think this could be his year to get over the top and to the SB if they can avoid any more injuries.

SD is LEGIT...if they can get/stay healthy they are a force to be dealt with. Denver will have their hands full both games with these guys....and yes their young RB looked nice this week! Rivers is playing at MVP level...I think this could be his year to get over the top and to the SB if they can avoid any more injuries.

From your keyboard to God's eyes :-)!!!

From your keyboard to God's eyes :-)!!!

I don't think God is a football fan....especially with the amount of people missing church on sundays to watch or go to games...but if he was...I've seen nothing yet to suggest he is a Chargers fan...sorry! lol

I don't think God is a football fan....especially with the amount of people missing church on sundays to watch or go to games...but if he was...I've seen nothing yet to suggest he is a Chargers fan...sorry! lol

Really....?!  He has lightning shows in the heavens, every single minute of the day somewhere in the world ;)  

On a fun side note -- our church is filled with football fans (49ers, Steelers, Raiders, Rams and Chargers that come to mind), in jerseys, in the service with TIVO catching the game back home LOL!

We aren't really anymore - this thread morphed several different ways.  HOWEVER, I took IMMENSE pleasure in Rex Ryan's press conference this week.  "beat down in all phases of the game..." and more like it   :thmup:

Hey be proud of your team...they are playing GREAT football. And even though I'm not a fan of the Chargers I'm extremely impressed with Rivers and their play....very very good football out there right now. I expect it from Phillip but that defense has been a nice surprise.

Yep, true dat. Brown, if the holes are HUGE, his vision is not a factor and will get the yardage, something the Colts in trail position while playing against nickel capitalized on a lot last year. In the NFL, the holes are not HUGE, sometimes you need the vision to go sideways and run outside the tackles. Brown gets tackled by the first player he encounters in the open field. Even a slower Mike Hart used to make people miss. Without elusivity and vision inside the pocket, there is only so much you can do as an RB in the NFL. Backup is Brown's ceiling, no doubt.

You say Brown runs good when the holes are HUGE. Then you say the holes aren't HUGE in the NFL. Which is it? Brown has a heck of a stiff arm, which you don't see many RB`s use anymore and he IS elusive in the open field. None of the Colts RB`s had/have the ability to take it to the house like Donald Brown can once he gets in the secondary of a defense.

It seems like you guys are so focused on your argument about Donald Brown - did you miss our UDFA Branden Oliver's performance yesterday?  182 yards from scrimmage in his first rookie game.  We saw this kind of performance out of him during preseason, but of course it wasn't against the #1 NFL rushing defense so we mostly took it with a grain of salt.  The fans had nicknamed him "Sprol-bert" in the summer as he has the quickness, size and moves of Sproles but can run through and over people like Tolbert.   

We were expected to win this one - but no one expected our running game to accomplish what we did.  And NO ONE predicted 31 points on that D.  

Donald's purpose is to pound and pound until they get tired.  His early runs were often losses, even 4 and 5 yard losses as their D were deep in the backfield.  But prior to the nasty, head shot that took him out (the Jets were nasty, dirty players trying to cause injury), he was starting to pile up some good runs.  

I liked what I saw out there.  Toughness and dominance in all 3 phases with incredible injuries piling up.  Can we swap bye weeks with someone?!!!  Assuming we can survive the decimation and start to get some key players back I think we will have some amazing depth - the one thing we've always missed going into the playoffs.

Thank you! DB was starting to come on strong. And that one run where he stiff armed the guy and hit the after burner while changing the ball from one side to the other was the one that I was referring to.

Thank you! DB was starting to come on strong. And that one run where he stiff armed the guy and hit the after burner while changing the ball from one side to the other was the one that I was referring to.

A lot of people judge a football player's performance only by statistics without knowing what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish.  Donald's job it to pound away and hold onto the ball.  He was starting to get rolling, if he had stayed in the game, he was starting to gain in bigger chunks.  By the second half I could easily have seen him pile up the yardage.

People don't remember much about LT's running except the big numbers, but he often only had 10 or 20 yards in the first half with 15 carries, then would start breaking the long ones in the second half as we wore defenses down.  You wouldn't have the big numbers without the early seemingly ineffective runs.  That's the kind of ground and pound offense Frank Reich is working to compliment the incredibly versatile passing game we have.  2.9 yard average when you're throwing +70% completion rate and 67% 3rd down conversions is not an issue.

This offense is a fairly lethal combination and a LOT of fun for the fans :-)

I've never made that accusation/correlation, so it has no barring on my evaluation of him.

He's got a following, and more power to him, but they prop up his play much greater then what he's actually ever produced in IMO.

I think he's too frail to be an every down back, yet we were cautioned all off season of the doom we were in for, when we let him walk.

That's your opinion and many like yourself down play his abilities. As far as doom goes, isn`t Bradshaw considered an "injury prone" player? I hope he makes it through the whole season, a healthy Bradshaw is a really good RB. Its only been 5 games and a lot of football left before thinking the Colts are out of the woods regarding healthy RB`s. Heard a lot of doubts not that long ago that maybe re signing DB might have been a good idea. Opinions change on a week to week basis around here