Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If The Tuck Rule Went Differently?

Blue Horseshoe

Yeah..it could go either way and not a huge deal. I just think stripping the ball is one thing over knocking the ball when its coming back (tuck) which is so vunerable and doesn't take much skill. Still..thats 14 more fumbles a year than the ones we already have:) But it wouldn't bother me if they changed it...or kept it.

The tight PI is my biggest beef...huge game changer when often the DB just gets tangled up etc........

A situation like that should be reviewed. Personally, I wish they would adopt the NCAA review process with an official in the booth the deciding factor as opposed to the ref going under the hood.

Interesting article.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/fumble-rates-by-play-type.html

It's mostly about fumbles...

Fumbles occur on 18.0% of all sacks.

So that is fairly low, and a tuck/fumble would essentially occur on sack/near sack. I'm just a fan of a clear cut yes or no type deal. Which in this case, it's either a passing attempt or a fumble, and if it wasn't an open hand, then it's an incomplete pass. I feel that would make it much easier to digest. Of course as soon as they would change it, the Patriots would benefit from it or the Colts would be victim to it, but that is just how it goes.

Whoa count me out:)

I think its a good rule for the same reason they want to keep it. To not add to more fumbles and luck of the game. Furthermore a RB can secure the ball...a QB bringing it back in...well even I could knock it out of his hand. Not much skill there.

Well, like Yehoodi said, the object is to determine an "end point" to the passing motion.

But there are several other rules that are based strictly on the refs' interpretation of what they see. 12 men on the field isn't a judgment call. Pass interference is.

Personally I think the refs' judgment should be trusted on these plays. If it does get called an average of 14 times a year, that's not all that much considering you're talking about thousands of plays.

actually they had two chances. Stop us from tying it up to get to OT. And stopping us in OT.

cardinal sin is not to get demoralized over ref's call for the next play...nevermind the multiple plays it took to win it. I find it hard though that they were demoralized for well over 10 plays. Heck Wiggins caught the ball 8 times on one of those drives.

I think it comes down to a simple solution. Don't blow a 10 point 4th quarter lead in a game that is very difficult to score points in.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• At least Pryor had played solid in a part-time role the year before. Depending on Pinter to be the RG starter (when he had never played the position) was really misguided.
    • They were probably just willing to try anything in 2022. They suddenly found themselves with a regressed OL and a fumbling statue at QB, who was a sitting duck for outside pressure. Smith wasn't doing Ryan any favors in that regard, but one way around it in-season was to try to use your best OL players in the middle to create some space in the middle for Ryan to step up and avoid outside pressure.   I think it's more about injuries than anything at this point. It's hard to imagine an OL that still has Kelly and Smith on it in a couple of years. 
    • Or if he downed a Pinter, Pryor to going over.
    • I'm also optimistic about Year 2 under Steichen. I wonder, though, what has happened to the people who were pushing for the Colts to retain Jeff Saturday. Do they still think that would have been a better course of action? 
    • Turner is the prototypical modern big man. Space the floor and protect the rim. Could he rebound better? Sure, but he spaces floor on offense which keeps him away from offensive glass and protects the rim which takes him off of the defensive glass at times. There's only so many Embiid's, Wemby's, Davis's, in the league that have the all around offensive  and defensive game.    When he was younger(not that he is old) he was more aggressive in blocking shots which led to injuries and foul trouble. I think he has toned it back a bit to try and avoid injuries and fouls, to be able to play and stay in more games. He did play in the most games(77) he's has played in since his 2nd season(81) in the league, and (16) more than last season, (30-35) more than the 2 prior seasons. So it seems to of helped in that aspect. He still isn't far off his career average though. Just a dip from league leader numbers he's had prior. He also played the fewest minutes per game he has since he was a rookie, so seems to be maybe a concerted effort to try and keep him healthy?   He has played the best he has ever played the last 2 years offensively, direct result of Haliburton, no doubt. And is just now about to turn 28 so entering his prime.   He will never be a big average per game rebounder. He will have games he can get 12-15, but more times than not will be in that 6-7 range.   I for one, still hope the team sees Myles as an integral part of the future.   Siakam is an ok rebounder, but not great, we actually have a really good rebounder on the roster, Tshiebwe, but we need more rebounding from the 1,2,3 spots.   So that seems to be our biggest need to me. We are a good team though reiand the future is bright. Definitely feels like a lost opportunity here. Feel like we should be up 3-1 even with Haliburton missing the 2 games.   Rebounding isn't Toppin's strong suit either as he likes to leak out on the fast break rather than crash boards.   When Toppin and Turner/or Siakam is out there together, there won't be much rebounding going on.   Jackson is a pretty solid rebounder, just creates spacing problems.   Smith is decent rebounder, but I think he opts out of his $5.4m contract and becomes free agent. If not, it just makes it more crowded for potential Tshiebwe minutes.           Going to be interesting to see what this team looks like next year. I think we might be in for more changes than we think, especially if we look to bring in a 3rd big name.   We have quite a few pieces to make things work though, if we want to go that route 
  • Members

• CheezyColt

CheezyColt 906

• shasta519

shasta519 5,300

• Demo627

Demo627 0

Rookie
    • Smonroe

Smonroe 6,284

• dw49

dw49 1,384