Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predictions for Colts off season w/ mock draft

Despite the fact that the Colts have made the playoffs the last two seasons, they still have major holes to fill. Being new to this forum, I'll say that the off-season is by far my favorite time of the season. In this post I'm going to make a few predictions on what I think Grigson and the front office will do this off-season.

Cap Casualties

C/ Samson Satele - cutting Satele saves 4 Mil off the cap this year. He has been ineffective thus far and often injured. Not to mention I think plenty of fans would be happy to see him go.

I don't for see them cutting anyone else at this point. They could save another $3 Mil by cutting Donald Thomas, but I doubt that Grigson gives up on him just yet. Same goes for Greg Toler.

CAP SPACE: $34 MIL

Colts Free Agents

CB/ Vontae Davis - No way they'll let Vontae Davis walk, especially since it was Grigson's first big acquisation. Contract Value = 9 Mil Per YR. That kind of contract would put his money right up there with Tramon Williams and Joe Haden, which would be about right in my eyes.

P/ Pat McAfee - The Colts will lock up McAfee whether it be long term or with the Franchise Tag. They can't really upgrade this position through the free agent market. I think his FA value is in the Morestead/Weatherford/Colquitt range. Contract Value = 3 Mil Per YR

S/ Sergio Brown - His value to the team is his Special Teams ability. I truly believe that he is one of the best ST players in the league. He will be back at the right price. I think roughly 900k- 1.2 Mil is fair value. Contract Value = 1 Mil Per YR

K/ Adam Vinatieri - He still is productive, especially for someone his age. This is a position the Colts could elect to save a few dollars on, but at this point I think they'll re-sign him. Contract Value = 2.3 Mil Per YR

OLB/ Cam Johnson - Another young player who can contribute on ST and knows the defensive system. I don't see the Colts letting him walk this off-season. Plus he can be brought back relatively cheap. Contract Value = 500K Per Year

CB/ Josh Gordy - A role player who I would be fine if they let walk. The fact that him and Cassius Vaughn are both free agents means that one will probably leave. Gordy probably comes cheaper at the same relative production level. Contract Value = 850K Per Year

CAP SPACE 17.6 MIL

UNRESTRICED FREE AGENTS

NT/ Terrence Cody - Played for Pagano in Baltimore and could be a solid rotation player at NT with Chapman. The Colts will most likely be looking for a replacement player for Abrayo Franklin and Mt. Cody could be that player. Can also be had at a decent price. Contract Value = $2.2 Mil Per Year

S/ Stevie Brown - Breakout player for the Giants a seaspn ago, tore his ACL early on this season. Could probably be had on the cheap and if he returns to form, he could be a bargain. Has played for the Colts before under the Polian regime, could be time for a 2nd stint. Contract Value = $ 1.9 Mil Per Year

MLB/ Brandon Spikes - Another player that can be had on the cheap and a low risk, high reward signing. Spikes played through all 16 games this season with a knee injury, before the Pats placed him on IR. Has questions about character but maybe a fresh start will do him good. Contract Value = $1.3 Mil Per Year

OG/ Vlad Ducasse - Was the 6th man on the Jets line this year after starting the season as a 1st teamer. Better in run situations than pass protection, probably just a guy in the NFL. Still could provide for good depth along the offensive line. Has played both G and T. Contract Value = $1 Mil Per Year

WR/ Hakeem Nicks - Some executives around the league think that he dogged it this last year which could hurt his FA value. Maybe he plays this season on a 1 year "Prove It" contract. Could be a solid outside WR and lord knows he has better hands than DHB. Grigson has signed WR's on one year deals both offseasons, so maybe Nicks is next. Contract Value = $2.5 Mil Per Year

C/ Alex Mack - The best center on the market and the Colts have the space for one marquee signing. This contract would probably lock up Mack through age 33 but Centers regress less quickly than other positions. This would be a popular signing for the fans and would help solidify the interior OL. Contract Value = $ 8 Mil Per Year

NFL DRAFT

(I used First-Pick and only made trades if they aligned with the NFL Value Chart.)

Round 2 Pick 27: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford (B+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Dominique Easley, DE, Florida (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama (B+)
Round 7 Pick 26 (S.F.): Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State (A)
Round 7 Pick 27 (S.F.): Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (A-)

Thoughts or questions?

Despite the fact that the Colts have made the playoffs the last two seasons, they still have major holes to fill. Being new to this forum, I'll say that the off-season is by far my favorite time of the season. In this post I'm going to make a few predictions on what I think Grigson and the front office will do this off-season.

Cap Casualties

C/ Samson Satele - cutting Satele saves 4 Mil off the cap this year. He has been ineffective thus far and often injured. Not to mention I think plenty of fans would be happy to see him go.

I don't for see them cutting anyone else at this point. They could save another $3 Mil by cutting Donald Thomas, but I doubt that Grigson gives up on him just yet. Same goes for Greg Toler.

CAP SPACE: $34 MIL

Colts Free Agents

CB/ Vontae Davis - No way they'll let Vontae Davis walk, especially since it was Grigson's first big acquisation. Contract Value = 9 Mil Per YR. That kind of contract would put his money right up there with Tramon Williams and Joe Haden, which would be about right in my eyes.

P/ Pat McAfee - The Colts will lock up McAfee whether it be long term or with the Franchise Tag. They can't really upgrade this position through the free agent market. I think his FA value is in the Morestead/Weatherford/Colquitt range. Contract Value = 3 Mil Per YR

S/ Sergio Brown - His value to the team is his Special Teams ability. I truly believe that he is one of the best ST players in the league. He will be back at the right price. I think roughly 900k- 1.2 Mil is fair value. Contract Value = 1 Mil Per YR

K/ Adam Vinatieri - He still is productive, especially for someone his age. This is a position the Colts could elect to save a few dollars on, but at this point I think they'll re-sign him. Contract Value = 2.3 Mil Per YR

OLB/ Cam Johnson - Another young player who can contribute on ST and knows the defensive system. I don't see the Colts letting him walk this off-season. Plus he can be brought back relatively cheap. Contract Value = 500K Per Year

CB/ Josh Gordy - A role player who I would be fine if they let walk. The fact that him and Cassius Vaughn are both free agents means that one will probably leave. Gordy probably comes cheaper at the same relative production level. Contract Value = 850K Per Year

CAP SPACE 17.6 MIL

UNRESTRICED FREE AGENTS

NT/ Terrence Cody - Played for Pagano in Baltimore and could be a solid rotation player at NT with Chapman. The Colts will most likely be looking for a replacement player for Abrayo Franklin and Mt. Cody could be that player. Can also be had at a decent price. Contract Value = $2.2 Mil Per Year

S/ Stevie Brown - Breakout player for the Giants a seaspn ago, tore his ACL early on this season. Could probably be had on the cheap and if he returns to form, he could be a bargain. Has played for the Colts before under the Polian regime, could be time for a 2nd stint. Contract Value = $ 1.9 Mil Per Year

MLB/ Brandon Spikes - Another player that can be had on the cheap and a low risk, high reward signing. Spikes played through all 16 games this season with a knee injury, before the Pats placed him on IR. Has questions about character but maybe a fresh start will do him good. Contract Value = $1.3 Mil Per Year

OG/ Vlad Ducasse - Was the 6th man on the Jets line this year after starting the season as a 1st teamer. Better in run situations than pass protection, probably just a guy in the NFL. Still could provide for good depth along the offensive line. Has played both G and T. Contract Value = $1 Mil Per Year

WR/ Hakeem Nicks - Some executives around the league think that he dogged it this last year which could hurt his FA value. Maybe he plays this season on a 1 year "Prove It" contract. Could be a solid outside WR and lord knows he has better hands than DHB. Grigson has signed WR's on one year deals both offseasons, so maybe Nicks is next. Contract Value = $2.5 Mil Per Year

C/ Alex Mack - The best center on the market and the Colts have the space for one marquee signing. This contract would probably lock up Mack through age 33 but Centers regress less quickly than other positions. This would be a popular signing for the fans and would help solidify the interior OL. Contract Value = $ 8 Mil Per Year

NFL DRAFT

(I used First-Pick and only made trades if they aligned with the NFL Value Chart.)

Round 2 Pick 27: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford (B+)

Round 3 Pick 26: Dominique Easley, DE, Florida (A)

Round 5 Pick 26: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A-)

Round 6 Pick 27: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama (B+)

Round 7 Pick 26 (S.F.): Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State (A)

Round 7 Pick 27 (S.F.): Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (A-)

Thoughts or questions?

No way the colts get Spikes and Nicks that cheap.