Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive character, hear me out

chad72

Time and again, I have heard that as soon as a QB turns the ball over, the other team's points happen entirely because of the same. While turnovers do matter in playoff game, over the years, I have seen the Ravens, Steelers, and even Patriots Ds keep their teams in games where their O turns the ball over but the D steps up and limits it to a FG instead of a TD, or in some cases, force a punt for no points lost.

I was looking at an alarming statistic on the Broncos' D this year. The whole Broncos nation assumes that a D should give up a TD everytime an offensive turnover happens. It is almost expected and taken for granted that it has gotten to the tune of 31st or 32nd in the league in giving up points/TDs once a turnover happens with the Broncos. If that were at least in the middle of the pack, the Broncos would have a greater chance of making the SB.

You watch how the Ravens, Steelers, and a lot of other teams come together once a turnover or some stagnancy happens with their offense, they step it up on D. This Broncos' D, it folds like a lawn chair.

Where does this defensive character come from? Is it coached? Is it personnel? Or is it both?

Time and again, I have heard that as soon as a QB turns the ball over, the other team's points happen entirely because of the same. While turnovers do matter in playoff game, over the years, I have seen the Ravens, Steelers, and even Patriots Ds keep their teams in games where their O turns the ball over but the D steps up and limits it to a FG instead of a TD, or in some cases, force a punt for no points lost.

I was looking at an alarming statistic on the Broncos' D this year. The whole Broncos nation assumes that a D should give up a TD everytime an offensive turnover happens. It is almost expected and taken for granted that it has gotten to the tune of 31st or 32nd in the league in giving up points/TDs once a turnover happens with the Broncos. If that were at least in the middle of the pack, the Broncos would have a greater chance of making the SB.

You watch how the Ravens, Steelers, and a lot of other teams come together once a turnover or some stagnancy happens with their offense, they step it up on D. This Broncos' D, it folds like a lawn chair.

Where does this defensive character come from? Is it coached? Is it personnel? Or is it both?

I think it is both personnel and coaching to an extent but in your example of the Broncos, I think Manning-led teams always have defenses that can't play like the Ravens, Steelers, Pats. I am not sure if that is a function of always having the lead or knowing Manning is there to bail you out. But time and again his teams are soft and I think it has do with the make up of the team which underscores your character point.