Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

nfl power rankings , colts rank 6

mintor

And Brady is all you need to keep the Patriots in the top 5 so long as everything else isn't crumbling around him. It may actually get better at this point, so nobody is going to knock them down a spot until something major happens.

Yeah but if we win this week we will have beaten 2 top teams. The Pats will have beaten the underperforming or perhaps not even that good Falcons and 3 garbage teams. Assuming they lose to Cincy this week and both the Pats and Colts are 4-1

You honestly expect Andy Dalton to out duel Tom Brady with both Gronk and Amendola returning? Cincy is either going to prove that its a QB away from real contention, or get a firm reality check on what a great QB does for an otherwise meh team. Don't be surprised if who they plug in for Wilfork also continues to produce on defense, as scheme defense that magnifies the ability of average talent is a Belichick staple.

I don't see the Pats losing, certainly not by enough to justify any kind of panic, and barring a raw blowout of Seattle, the Colts aren't going to bypass them on many power rankings boards, though it will legitimize them as an AFC threat alongside Denver and NE. A Seattle loss will benefit New Orleans in power rankings more than Indy though, as that would make them the undisputed class of the NFC.

And Brady is all you need to keep the Patriots in the top 5 so long as everything else isn't crumbling around him. It may actually get better at this point, so nobody is going to knock them down a spot until something major happens.

Then by your own logic Brady is the only thing proven on that offense.

Then by your own logic Brady is the only thing proven on that offense.

Except for Gronk and Amendola who both return this week. Not to mention the astounding progress some of those rookie receivers have made. Patriots aren't going anywhere except up the stock charts, unless the Wilfork injury truly proves to be their undoing, which I have serious doubts it will.

Except for Gronk and Amendola who both return this week. Not to mention the astounding progress some of those rookie receivers have made. Patriots aren't going anywhere except up the stock charts, unless the Wilfork injury truly proves to be their undoing, which I have serious doubts it will.

Gronk has already been discussed, and the only thing Amendola has proven is you can't rely on him on a weekly basis. I'm not saying they are bad, but they are not proven WRs and certainly not more proven than ours.

Gronk has already been discussed, and the only thing Amendola has proven is you can't rely on him on a weekly basis. I'm not saying they are bad, but they are not proven WRs and certainly not more proven than ours.

Perhaps saying weapons plural wasn't the correct wording on my part. Really it just comes down to Brady gonna Brady, and until they lose nobody is willing to bet against them.

Perhaps saying weapons plural wasn't the correct wording on my part. Really it just comes down to Brady gonna Brady, and until they lose nobody is willing to bet against them.

I can agree with you on that. Brady sure got fortunate to break those receivers in against cake teams.

You're definitely sounding troll-like.  Gronk is probably not the same guy you remember (his body has broken down), and Armendola is doing just what he's always done.  Looking good the 5 games he's active each season.  I've watched pretty much all the NE games, and you're fooling yourself if you think those rookie receivers have made "astounding progress".  I watched Thompkins drop as many as he caught last week...yet the announcers just talked him up.  Yup, I'm pretty sure you're a Bostonian now...

You're definitely sounding troll-like.  Gronk is probably not the same guy you remember (his body has broken down), and Armendola is doing just what he's always done.  Looking good the 5 games he's active each season.  I've watched pretty much all the NE games, and you're fooling yourself if you think those rookie receivers have made "astounding progress".  I watched Thompkins drop as many as he caught last week...yet the announcers just talked him up.  Yup, I'm pretty sure you're a Bostonian now...

Nope, born and raised in Bloomington, IN. I just date a Bostonian :3

Still, the fact remains that until NE loses, nobody in the media will have the cajones to drop them a spot. That's just how it is.

Bleacher report has us at #14, and the 1-3 Falcons at #8! And the niners are #7! What a horrible rag of a website.

triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg

Too many people drank the 49'er and Falcon flavored Kool-aid that was being served up after last year. Those same people also have too much pride to admit they misjudged it, and just want to write it off as slow starts. The 9'ers I can see, and honestly a 49'ers team thats high ranked also boosts Indy, so you shouldn't be too upset about that unless you're all in on the "We won so we should be rated higher" camp, which is an understandable camp to be in.

But the Falcons... they have shown next to nothing that shows they can get over the hump and be anything more than mediocre, and it doesn't help they are probably not even going to win their division, as that is New Orleans' to lose. Tough times in Atlanta are coming, but some people chained themselves to them as preseason favorites and are too proud to abandon ship.

I don't get the Patriots.  Everyone seems to have them at 3 or 4, and there's not a single statistical ranking they have better than the Colts (while probably playing slightly worse teams than the Colts).  That last part can be disputed, but: Colts - SF, Mia., Oak, Jax; NE - Buff, NYJ, TB, and Atlanta.  The statistical categories are as follows:

Total Offense Rank (yds/gm): Colts 10, NE 11

Total Defense Rank (yds/gm): Colts 8, NE 16

Total Scoring Offense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 8, NE 19

Total Scoring Defense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 4, NE 6

The moral of the story: the press' love affair with the Patriots continues.  I personally have the Patriots at #9 on my power rankings and the Colts at #6.  I think that's fair and balanced!

The question is how does it look if you take out the first couple games where Brady really wasn't connecting with his receivers that well.

Reality is that they are quarterbacked by Tom Brady and coached by Bill Bellicheck.  This team is always going to get the benefit of the doubt while those two guys are on board.

And lets not forget that Amendola and Gronk will be coming back soon (Amendola is expected in week 5 and Gronk in week 6) and this team will be a lot better with them on the field.

They also had the 1-3 Falcons ranked at #8 and the 1-2 Packers at #10.  That's just straight nonsense.  I get that these teams are better than their records show, but at some point, you just have to let reason take over and say you're not going to rank multiple 3-1 teams behind a 1-3 team.  You ruin the credibility of the entire post when you do that.  I can see some 1-3 teams ahead of 2-2 teams or 3-1 ahead of a 4-0, etc., but at least keep it in reason.  Then, wait till next week and see if they win, then you can put them up higher. 

7-10 is about where we should be right now.  There are 5 unbeatens and how can we by higher than Miami who came into Indy and beat us.  Not much separates, us, Chicago, Detroit, and Tennesee.  We have a big chance to change that this Sunday.

Yeah, I kinda disagreed with that myself.  I think we're the better team, but the fact is, they beat us at home.  The only argument to the contrary is that, while we lost by 4, they got obliterated Monday night by the Saints.  But regardless, CHI, DET, TEN, MIA, and IND, it's a tossup as to how those teams should be ranked.  There's arguments to be made for and against them all at #6-10.