Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis was a HR, remember who we were trying to get?

loudnproudcolt

I have been looking over the wires for the names who have been cut and it took me back to the start of the 2012 season. Remember all the rumor, much of it was fact I believe, the colts were trying to trade for Kenny Phillips, CB with the cowboys at the time. Phillips was a first round pick whose salary was very affordable, but the Cowboys did not want to part with him because he was inexpensive salary wise and was their fourth corner at the time. I don't know what we were offering.

Well after a couple of repeated tries, we decided to go to Miami and go after Vontae. We gave up more in draft picks, but it has been a home run pick. Phillips went to Philadelphia this year and was considered a great pickup at a great price. He was just released, still having injury problems. I don't know if was luck, timing, or foresight, but that decision to go after Davis after pursuing Phillips was one of our smartest last year, even though Vontae was injured much of the year until late when he turned it on. With him and Toler, Bethea and Landry, I look at the defensive backfield and I can't believe how improved it is, and has shown in preseason!

Sometimes be glad for the players you don't get!

I stand corrected, it was Kenny Phillips. I guess as I was seeing big names come across the cut wire, and thinking how good the defense looked, I got them confused. Regardless, I am so glad with what we did. The point still stands, it was a shrewd move for basically a 2nd round pick.

Love Toler and Davis in press coverage. It is so much more fun to watch this defense than previous editions before pagano's arrival, and I am sure they will only continue to improve. They have only been together a short time. As more pieces are added, and they get a feel for each other, this defense could be really good the next few years.

Well, apparently you don't remember who we were trying to get, lol. Like you mentioned, Vontae was injured for most of the season, so until he stays healthy for a whole season and maintains that level of play..I'll reserve my judgement. With that being said, though, Vontae does look promising...besides his voice, he's not going to intimidate any receiver with his voice lol.

As impressive as he's been this TC and preseason, he still hasn't done much for the Colts. He had a few good performances for the Colts last season and was injury riddled. 

I do think this will end up being a great deal, and I think he'll have a really good year because he has been very impressive this preseason (and TC). The fact of the matter is, he has not much to show for it on paper, so I can't say he's a home run YET.

I stand corrected, it was Kenny Phillips. I guess as I was seeing big names come across the cut wire, and thinking how good the defense looked, I got them confused. Regardless, I am so glad with what we did. The point still stands, it was a shrewd move for basically a 2nd round pick.

Love Toler and Davis in press coverage. It is so much more fun to watch this defense than previous editions before pagano's arrival, and I am sure they will only continue to improve. They have only been together a short time. As more pieces are added, and they get a feel for each other, this defense could be really good the next few years.

you just cant stop thinking Kenny Phillips, can you? haha