Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reserve/Future Contract?

The Sack Pack

A team can sign a player to a future/reserve contract once the team's season ends. But technically, the team doesn't have roster space until the rosters expand to 90 when the new league year starts, which is usually in early March. So the future/reserve designation means that this player will be on the 90 man roster at the beginning of the league year. Once the rosters expand, the future/reserve designation essentially goes away, and the player is now a member of the 90 man roster. Usually, teams sign their own practice squad players to future/reserve contracts, if they are eligible.

Players eligible for future/reserve contracts are those who haven't accrued a full season of service in the NFL, but technically aren't one year veterans yet because they've never made a final roster. Jerrell Freeman last year, who had been on other rosters in preseason, but never on a 53 man roster, qualified for a future/reserve contract. This year, Chandler Harnish qualified, because he was on the practice squad all last season and has no accrued service.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I believe that's the black and white of it.

A team can sign a player to a future/reserve contract once the team's season ends. But technically, the team doesn't have roster space until the rosters expand to 90 when the new league year starts, which is usually in early March. So the future/reserve designation means that this player will be on the 90 man roster at the beginning of the league year. Once the rosters expand, the future/reserve designation essentially goes away, and the player is now a member of the 90 man roster. Usually, teams sign their own practice squad players to future/reserve contracts, if they are eligible.

Players eligible for future/reserve contracts are those who haven't accrued a full season of service in the NFL, but technically aren't one year veterans yet because they've never made a final roster. Jerrell Freeman last year, who had been on other rosters in preseason, but never on a 53 man roster, qualified for a future/reserve contract. This year, Chandler Harnish qualified, because he was on the practice squad all last season and has no accrued service.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I believe that's the black and white of it.

Thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch.