Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Scouts look for

Criteria for LBs: "Take on and defeat: Ability to take on and defeat a block...Pass rush: Power or finesse rusher. Use of hands." 

Mark Schlereth, 1 of my favorite NFL analysts on ESPN, talks about the ability to shed blocks & the proper placement of an athlete's hands & feet as the key difference between college football & the NFL. 

I also like Mark because he understands the hassle, pain, & mental isolation of surgeries in the league too. 

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/scouting/scouting.htm

The above link is a great website that goes into some detail position by position on many but not all of the things scouts will look for when it comes to potential draft picks

I posted this a couple times before, Mods if you would like to pin this thread for reference go ahead

Thanks for sharing, Gavin. I always enjoy learning more about talent evaluation.

You have to start somewhere. Seems they put guys on the chalkboard to see what they know.

Someone like Mike Mayock has watched so much tape, done this so long, he is really interesting to listen to as he watches a guy working out. He sees stuff in an instant regarding footwork, flexibility, and so on. But he still wants to see lots of tape to verify game production. Be a blast to sit in with him and listen for a month or two.

Folks here are proposing players that Won`t even be on our draft board after Grigs evaluates them.

You have to start somewhere. Seems they put guys on the chalkboard to see what they know.

Someone like Mike Mayock has watched so much tape, done this so long, he is really interesting to listen to as he watches a guy working out. He sees stuff in an instant regarding footwork, flexibility, and so on. But he still wants to see lots of tape to verify game production. Be a blast to sit in with him and listen for a month or two.

Folks here are proposing players that Won`t even be on our draft board after Grigs evaluates them.

"Folks here are proposing players that Won`t even be on our draft board after Grigs evaluates them"

Who and why in your opinion? just curious