Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Decker or Torrey Smith?

John Waylon

For the W/R spot.

I picked up Smith expecting him to have a breakout year and be a top 20-15 WR. So far he started out slow, but had a breakout game Sunday night, and I'm wondering if maybe that will propel him to more targets and catches.

On the other hand, Decker has been getting targets and yards, but he's being shut out of the end zone.

Myself personally am leaning towards Smith. He has the better matchup, playing the Browns, and coming off a big, emotional week for him I think some of that could spill over into this week as well. Decker is matched up against the Raiders, and Peyton has ALWAYS struggled against the Raiders, so Smith seems a better choice, but I'd like to hear some other takes on this one...

For the W/R spot.

I picked up Smith expecting him to have a breakout year and be a top 20-15 WR. So far he started out slow, but had a breakout game Sunday night, and I'm wondering if maybe that will propel him to more targets and catches.

On the other hand, Decker has been getting targets and yards, but he's being shut out of the end zone.

Myself personally am leaning towards Smith. He has the better matchup, playing the Browns, and coming off a big, emotional week for him I think some of that could spill over into this week as well. Decker is matched up against the Raiders, and Peyton has ALWAYS struggled against the Raiders, so Smith seems a better choice, but I'd like to hear some other takes on this one...

Not sure if the last game we played in 2010 31-26 would be characterized as a struggle for Peyton. He threw TD passes, a laser back shoulder throw to Garcon defended by Chris Johnson who was tight in coverage but as soon as Garcon turned, the ball was by his chin, TD. Then a TD throw by the sidelines (the famous Colts pick play that he threw the TD at this year's beginning vs the Steelers to Tamme) to Blair White by the front pylon, and then a seam route pass TD to Jacob Tamme who got behind Tyvon Branch. That is 3 TD passes while avoiding Nnamdi vs Wayne. Impressive, if you ask me!!! :) Not to mention, the final surprise run to fool everyone and sliding before the end zone for a game ending first down, remember that???

If you go based on the above, Peyton is going to do well vs the Raiders whose secondary has gotten worse since the departure of Nnamdi.

Torrey Smith is a good play, just not sure a better play than Eric Decker.

Decker is coming off a high yardage game vs the Texans where he dropped, what, something like 5 to 6 balls and ended up with 7 catches of 100 plus yards. So, expect the targets to be the same while the Broncos WRs to be ticked about their dropsies from their previous game. I'd go with Eric Decker, I expect him to catch his first TD this game.