Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen 2nd year

On 5/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, Superman said:

I think they should, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is what Ballard said after the draft, when he was asked about potentially adding a veteran corner or safety:

"It just depends. You know between now and the start of the season ... there's still some good players out there. I mean there is there's some veterans out there that can still play. You know we'll dig and investigate all of them and then make a decision if we think they're the right fit for us as we go along." (Transcribed by Youtube, 12 minute mark if you want to watch.)

To me, that means they're not in a hurry to do anything. I think they'll shuffle some spots going into camp, they always do. But any noteworthy veteran signings are probably going to be reserved for what they think they need coming out of camp, maybe due to injury or a young player not being ready to make the final roster. That's my interpretation.

Edit: Ballard went even further on McAfee's show. 'We have our eyes on the market, but we want to see how our guys look.' 

"But any noteworthy veteran signings are probably going to be reserved for what they think they need coming out of camp, maybe due to injury or a young player not being ready to make the final roster. That's my interpretation."

This makes since. And I am sure Ballard would like to sign just one veteran to fill a S need. And depending on where the weakness is seen would affect what particular player we want..

The odds are reasonably good it would come from a player already on a roster.

On 5/16/2024 at 11:57 AM, AustexColt said:

I am optimistic because of the new coaching additions and the draft. Shane has gotten more offensive tools, a pass rush and depth at key spots. The only concern I have is AR's maturity to ride the waves of wins and losses. I am fully confident that if healthy (@ 255lbs) he will outperform Minshew, and that alone will add more wins and put us into the playoffs. It is going to be a fantastic Colt year.

I'm also optimistic about Year 2 under Steichen. I wonder, though, what has happened to the people who were pushing for the Colts to retain Jeff Saturday. Do they still think that would have been a better course of action? 

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I'm also optimistic about Year 2 under Steichen. I wonder, though, what has happened to the people who were pushing for the Colts to retain Jeff Saturday. Do they still think that would have been a better course of action? 

Seems a bit of an odd/pot-stirring question, given the positive work by Steichen.  Folks liked Saturday - largely due to his Colts history, and his sunny disposition during the turmoil of the lost season - after the dour/downcast Reich.

No one is, today, asking for Saturday to return.  That chapter is closed.  No need to revisit it.  

:dunno:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I don't really remember there being big support for hiring Saturday. If anything, I seem to remember it being mostly the opposite.

Colts podcasts and much of Colts Twitter were very against hiring Saturday. I understand why, but I didn't appreciate how they ran his name through the mud after that season.

The two choices that gained the most steam were Raheem Morris and Shane Steichen. And they made the right call going with the offensive-minded HC.