Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi on the draft

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-draft-week-begins-michael-breaks-down-potential/id1458884463?i=1000653230340

Think it is a good listen. Bout 17:30 mins in talks about corners and defense, but the whole podcast is a good listen. He says only  bout 12 first rounders in this draft compared to what Ballard said in 19-21. I thought it was an interesting take. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I guess it depends on your definition of “first round grade”.

IMO, it’s someone they believe can start day one and make a positive impact on the game.  

Ballards #1’s have been Hooker, Q, Buck (in a way), Kwity and AR.  Pretty good track record when you think about it. 

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I guess it depends on your definition of “first round grade”.

IMO, it’s someone they believe can start day one and make a positive impact on the game.  

Ballards #1’s have been Hooker, Q, Buck (in a way), Kwity and AR.  Pretty good track record when you think about it. 

Hooker. Didn't love up to hype. Nelson easy pick as generational. Buckner was 49ers pick and we traded for him. Paye has been a disappointment. AR looks good but needs time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hooker. Didn't love up to hype. Nelson easy pick as generational. Buckner was 49ers pick and we traded for him. Paye has been a disappointment. AR looks good but needs time.

Paye excellent  run defender

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No pick is a guarantee, just ask the Jets (and you can look at a lot of 1st rounders picked before ours who've busted).

I'm not trying to defend CB, and I'll give you Hooker.  Even though at the time everyone thought it was a steal, but injuries did him in.

So what if Buck was a 49ers pick, we got him cheaper than they did as far as draft capital.

Bottom line, "First round grade" is subjective and hindsight is...  I'll still take CB's draft success over most GMs.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Yeah, like Bo Nix??     So much over reaching for QBs. 
    • The Matt Gay hate is a convenient outlet for Chris Ballard hate. Which explains why it's mostly unreasonable.   However, I don't understand why they're putting him out there right now. He's evidently hurt, and he needs some time to get right.
    • Speaking of Baker:   I've been skeptical that Bryce Young can overcome the marks against him, so I'm not exactly waiting for him to turn it on. But I was skeptical about Baker as well, for different reasons. He never looked as ineffective and incapable as Bryce has looked so far, but he's a good example of a player who a) was in a bad situation, and b) still had to get better at QBing. 
    • Well, I thought the Olubi kid showed some solid play making ability with good tackling so i'm surprised they pushed rookie Carlies, who missed a fair amount of time, ahead of him so quickly. So one could say the position has been addressed by drafting a LB each of the last 2 seasons with guys our people like.  Carlies did play 46 snaps Sunday. Like our other Gus led LB's he didn't seem to be where he needed to be when needed. But what the hey, that becomes much more likely when you have 2-3 seasons under your belt, With a d-line playing well in front of you.     It wouldn't surprise me at all if Williams throws for 250+ with 3 touchdowns. The little devil on my shoulder tells me it would be a good thing, just another nail in Gus's coffin. And of course that is a sad place to be. lol  
    • If the past two seasons have shown anything, it's that you can never fully write off a QB based off of limited information. The NFL journey can be a long one.    Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold... All written off as failures just a few years ago.    @Superman and I have spoken for years on how the surrounding organization plays as much of a role in the success of a QB as traits and abilities.
  • Members

• TigerColt

TigerColt 114

• Nadine

Nadine 8,210

Administrators
    • chad72

chad72 18,634

• Smonroe

Smonroe 6,593

• John Hammonds

John Hammonds 5,305