Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Podcast Thread

Shive

I've been meaning to start this for a while, but never quite got around to it. In the last 3-4 months, I've been listening to NFL related podcasts anytime I'm in my car and figured I'd share what I've been listening to and get others' input on what they listen to as well. I'll provide links as the title of each podcast, but you can usually find any of them by searching on your favorite podcast app (mine is Podcast Addict).

Around the NFL Podcast

This is by far my favorite podcast right now. The usual group on this is Dan Hanzus, Chris Wessling, Marc Sessler, and Gregg Rosenthal, with Colleen Wolfe making a frequent appearance. It's a very fun podcast that doesn't take itself too seriously, while still providing quality takes and info. Dan is a bit zany and loud at times, but does a great job as the host. They usually put out 3 podcasts a week, but during this slow time of year only do 2. For a podcast that gives a lot of entertainment value and decent football talk, I highly recommend it. I listen to every single episode they put out.

The PFF NFL Show

This would be my second favorite podcast. It stars Steve Palazzolo and Sam Monson, with occasional cameos from Mike Renner. I really love this podcast because these guys use the PFF advanced stats in a way that really makes sense. For draft season, it was really fun listening to their evaluations of players. They do a great job using both the PFF stats and pure tape analysis to give very quality evaluations of players. They seem to be slow on new podcasts during the NFL down time, but I definitely recommend this one.

The PFF Forecast

This one is great for very analytical people. The guys on this one were math teachers and HUGE on statistics. There's a very...sarcastic? tone that's pretty constant. While I really enjoy some of the analytical takes, sometimes they're just too much. I'd give them a shot if you're into analytics, because its HEAVY on them, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Stampede Blue Colts Cast

Hosted by Stampede Blue's Matt Danely. This is a Colts-centric podcast that provides solid takes and insights from folks that know our team well. Matt tries to take fan call-ins pretty frequently and often has a guest on that is a Colts writer, blogger, or analyst. It's not as polished of a production as the first 3 on this list, but I enjoy getting a lot of Colts talk from people that actually know the team.

Colts Official Podcast

These are smaller podcast segments where you may get 3-5 in a single day, but they're 5-10 minutes each. You'll get some stuff with Caroline Cann and others, as well as press conferences. I'll listen every now and then, but only if the topic is interesting.

Rotoworld NFL Podcast

I haven't listened to this one too much, but it's Josh Norris and the guys from Rotoworld. It's fantasy football-centric and I imagine as the season gets going that I'll listen to them more often.

** Note to anyone that hasn't listened to podcasts on their phone and plans on doing so while you're not on wifi (and you don't have unlimited data), I HIGHLY suggest downloading the episodes then deleting once you've listened to them. I chewed through almost all of my 10 GB of data in a few weeks because of constantly listening to podcasts while I was out of the house. I'm not sure if all podcast apps allow you to do download, but the one I use does and it's helped tremendously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing.

I personally listen just to SiriusXM NFL radio shows (channel 88), mostly the weekday shows.  Ross Tucker and the Morning Kickoff, The opening Drive (Bob Papa w/C. Weiss, or David Diehl, or Ross Tucker, etc.)  The Blitz with Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn, and sometimes A.J. Hawk, my favorite show- Moving the Chains with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan, and then my second favorite, Late Hits with Alex Marvez and either Gil Brandt or Bill Polian, and at times Phil Savage or Mark Dominik.

James Lofton, Solomon Wilcots, Booger McFarland, and Kirk Morrison frequently are co-hosting or appearing on these shows as well.  Good stuff there, and since it is radio, there's substance over flash.

I know Ross tucker has a podcast though, likely of his SiriusXM show, or topics from it. Maybe the others do as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2018 at 9:45 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Thanks for sharing.

I personally listen just to SiriusXM NFL radio shows (channel 88), mostly the weekday shows.  Ross Tucker and the Morning Kickoff, The opening Drive (Bob Papa w/C. Weiss, or David Diehl, or also with Ross Tucker, etc.)  The Blitz with Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn, my favorite- Moving the Chains with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan, and then my second favorite, Late Hits with Alex Marvez and either Gil Brandt, Bill Polian, or at times Phil Savage.

Mark Dominik, James Lofton, Solomon Wilcots, Booger McFarland, and Kirk Morrison frequent co-hosting or appearing on these shows as well.  Good stuff there, andsince it is radio, there's substance over flash.

I know Ross tucker has a podcast though, likely of his SiriusXM show, or topics from it. Maybe the others do as well.

I had SiriusXM when I first bought my car and listened to it every time I was in the car, but it expired after a few months and was just too expensive for me to justify for that one station. I really enjoyed it when I had it though!

• Like 1

Great topic @Shive and I thought your summary was spot on as an avid Podcast listener myself. :agree:

My number 1 is Around the NFL as well.  It's the perfect mix of really good football knowledge (Wess and Gregg) and comedy and myrth (Dan and Mark) but all four guys are able to switch roles and seem like great buddies too, which makes a difference.  

Stampede Blue is also great but, as you rightly point out, sometimes the production quality is terrible, to the point where I have had to turn off due to the person on the line being inaudible.  I always really like Matt's takes (like his love for Ross Travis) and he doesn't just seem to follow the usual headlines and delves a bit deeper.

I have added the PFF NFL one to my list as I have not heard that one and so will keep an eye out for new episodes. :thanks:

Another one I really like is Chopping Wood with Stephen Holder and Zak Keefer (they decided to keep going with that name even after Chuck's departure).  They are usually once a week and you sometimes get more of an insight into the roster etc as they are Indy reporters with some inside contacts.  Rare to get an episode at the moment (think there has only been one in a couple of months) but should pick up again once training camp kicks off.

On a side note, any other Podcasts you listen to?  I like "Stuff You Should Know" where they bring you episodes on subjects you might not know a lot about which covers a huge range of topics.  Usually delete 50% of them if not of interest but loads of great content (over 10 years of podcasts from them I am sure).

• Thanks 1