Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft philosophy with the premise of down the middle

We have so many of these pieces in place. I don't know if Hooker was one of these intended pieces or not but look at this.

Luck, Kelly, Hankins, Hooker

All above averedge or great potential players at their respective position. 

So going of that premise it makes total sense to draft Barkley if he is sitting there for us.

I know the consensus is Chubb and i get it but after a quick glance the DE end class is loaded in next years draft IMO.

I know Geathers is a viable starter at SS when healthy. I think logically that in the scenario that we trade down and miss out out top tier blue chip guys like Nelson or Fitzpatrick and stick to this premise middle linebacker would be the biggest need at that point. At which point targeting a RB in the second round would make sense. I wouldn't be apposed to take Roquan Smith then and plug him in right away. The only other players i could foresee in this down the middle idea really is Tremaine Edmunds idk about Darwin James in the middle.

What do you guys think.

Just for rebuttals sake, the RB FA class is always loaded. You can find decent/great running backs outside of the top 10/first round. There could be a potential high upside MLB in Leighton Vander Esch sitting at our second round pick. LVE is crazy athetic and has the brain to go along with the tool box but isn’t getting hyped like Tremaine Edmunds. Another one could be Evans from Bama. Or the head office is hyped on Hitchens and they draft a late round high upside MLB to be groomed to take over for Hitchens.

I think Fitzpatrick is a great prospect but I see him as a safety not a 1CB and this class is loaded at DB. You can get someone like Jaire Alexander at 2, Kyzir White at 3 (whom reminds of Bam Bam Kam), Isaac Yiadom at 4, and Michael Joseph at 5 (who won the Cliff Harris award for best small school defensive player). 

Nelson is only an option if we trade back and acquire a ton of draft capitol imo. A better offensive coordinator will also help our o-line. As it stands Chubb is the best option at 3 and we won’t make it past the Bucs who even had less sacks than us.