Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3-4 vs 4-3 Preference

aReggie7

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thought that was implied. We all know there were multiple issues with him. I just listed the one most pertinent to the point I was trying to make.

Ok..  fair enough...   I just don't understand "trying to have all the answers too soon..." comment...

Never heard that one before....

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

As far as I can tell the 4-3 defense is an old system that's hardly used in the NFL anymore.  It's still used plenty in college but it seems to be fading out in the NFL.  

I don't think there is much likelyhood that we go back to a 4-3.

um, what? lol  

Minnesota, Detroit, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Seattle, and many other teams still use a predominantly 4-3 base front.

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Look at Wade Phillips. Wherever he goes he instantly knows installs a 3-4. 

Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense is a 1 gap system.  Much easier to switch to from a 4-3 than to a 2-gap scheme.  

I have no major preference in todays NFL since most teams have packages and players to fit a variety of schemes . Look at the Pats they have ran every defense there is they just keep bringing in players with the right attributes to fill certain roles . Then you can look at the 2 most dominate Ds in recent history one ran a 4-3 and the other ran a 3-4 both won a SB leaning on there defensive units . So to me it's more important our coaching staff knows what type of player they want at each position and Ballard bringing in the right talent . 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

As far as I can tell the 4-3 defense is an old system that's hardly used in the NFL anymore.  It's still used plenty in college but it seems to be fading out in the NFL.  

I don't think there is much likelyhood that we go back to a 4-3.

Half the teams in the playoffs this year use 4-3 as their base.. All 4 of the top 4 scorind defenses use 4-3.

58 minutes ago, J@son said:

um, what? lol  

Minnesota, Detroit, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Seattle, and many other teams still use a predominantly 4-3 base front.

Actually, I think the (narrow) majority use 4-3 base front at the moment. I could count 18 teams out of my head. There's probably more.

Still, I prefer to stick to 3-4. The Colts don't have the personnel to switch, so it would cost a lot more time and effort than improving what they already have.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok..  fair enough...   I just don't understand "trying to have all the answers too soon..." comment...

Never heard that one before....

I think he came in with the mindset that he didn’t need to rebuild the Colts. That they could instantly be Super Bowl contenders. 3 11-5 seasons would suggest he was right but there were other factors at play. His arrogance was coupled with absolutely poor drafting, overpaying aging FA players, and filling the roster with a ridiculous amount of project players.

As a result he was able to jump out to a good start in an AFC South that was so poor, that all the divisiona opponents ended up with a top 2 pick at some point from 2012-2016. Once the competition got better, the Colts quickly collapsed because Grigson didn’t spend time drafting well and trying to target young FAs. That where that comment comes from. He thought he had it figured out too soon. He didn’t even try a different approach to drafting or FA until his last year in 2016, and he still got it wrong.

Our next coach needs to honestly evaluate and do what he thinks is necessary to build long term success. That includes what defensive scheme we run.