Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which type of line backer?

5 hours ago, krunk said:

We should have a good idea what we have from both guys by that point.  If you do then I don't see it necessary.  I'd go with the two guys I know have experience.  Which would be Clark and Haeg. Clark may not have many games under his belt but they will have evaluated him for a year at that point.   Colts should have some kind of idea what they have in both of them.     I'm okay with adding another guy, but I just don't feel it needs to be a very high round pick.   Another solid Joe Haeg type of guy 4-5 round would be okay with me. A guy who could provide strong competition to Denzelle.   Plus there's always Free Agency to add to the options. 

I certainly like our chances for existing players to mature, ie Clark and Good, and am cautiously optimistic about Castonzo - he seems to have righted the ship back to "good enough".  Haeg is going to be solid for a long time in this league, that isn't even a question in my mind. But, there are a lot of questions at the tackle position.  It's not the need Pass Rush and ILB are, or even RB for that matter, but it's on the list until its not.  

Between Haeg, Good, and Clark we should be good enough to go BPA defense the first 4 rounds...but if we were to draft a tackle high, the same people clamoring for a better Oline would probably criticize the pick...oh, the irony.

If we had a better mix of quick rhythm in our passing game, we could get by with marginal OTs like most teams do...our existing scenario at OT is better than many teams, but maybe not for our chosen scheme.

43 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I certainly like our chances for existing players to mature, ie Clark and Good, and am cautiously optimistic about Castonzo - he seems to have righted the ship back to "good enough".  Haeg is going to be solid for a long time in this league, that isn't even a question in my mind. But, there are a lot of questions at the tackle position.  It's not the need Pass Rush and ILB are, or even RB for that matter, but it's on the list until its not.  

Between Haeg, Good, and Clark we should be good enough to go BPA defense the first 4 rounds...but if we were to draft a tackle high, the same people clamoring for a better Oline would probably criticize the pick...oh, the irony.

If we had a better mix of quick rhythm in our passing game, we could get by with marginal OTs like most teams do...our existing scenario at OT is better than many teams, but maybe not for our chosen scheme.

Whatever our issues with our scheme,  Luck is now at 64%.    And with the 4 remaining games,  that number may go up.....

I think it really comes down to what we do in FA.  I am a big proponent of BPA in an area of need regardless of position who can start with our 1st. pick.  Kelly and Elliot are good examples. There are also a number of good players who might hit FA; Hightower, Jones, Ingram, Collins just to name a few. All would be huge upgrades and start for us on defense.  Trades can also enter the mix.  Permanently moving Gaethers to LB could also change things.  It's fun to speculate now but so much can happen to change things.  I don't have my heart set on one position with our first pick.  I'll let the season and FA play out first. The Hierarchy of our needs could change pretty quickly in FA. 

If the Colts decide to go with an ILB I sure hope they get someone who can cover. I get that Pagano loves Antonio Morrison's personality but you really limit your defense if your ILBs are made up of these 2-down type of backers like Morrison.

There is no doubt that getting a pass rusher is what this team so badly needs but I really just want to see good players draft above all else.