Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Manning knowingly hurt his team in pursuit of stats?

Esquire59

Looking for objective, unemotional analysis here.

Peyton Manning was the worst QB in the NFL, 2015 season, yesterday. He looked absolutely abysmal. He knew at the end of pre-game that his PF was incredibly painful and limiting. Staring down the barrel of a divisional match-up, he didn't tell Kubiak and went out and single-handedly last the game. 5-25, 2 sacks, a fumble, and FOUR INTs.

But, hey, he got that second-to-last-most-coveted statistical record. If I'm a Broncos fan I'm absolutely furious. Now he's apparently p.o.'d at Kubiak for benching him.

Denver goes 1-6 or 2-5 over last 7 games and misses the playoffs. Watch. Why did he play yesterday? Was the record worth it?

Who do you think decides who takes the field and when? I'll give you a hint he doesn't wear pads.,

Peyton played because he thought he could help the team win. The staff was aware of his multiple injuries

By the way in case you are struggling with my question. He is not the person who decides who plays and for how long. That person would be the head coach with input from the OC and training staff.

So I ask you did Kubiak intentionally cost his team a game and potentially damage his starting QB for a record that Manning would break at some point this season anyway? He needed 24 yards or something like that.

Great post keep them coming

I misspelled zero?

I didn't even use the word zero........

Are you confusing me with someone else?

He's lost NewColt keep moving your IQ drops every minute you stay in this thread.

Peyton isn't the person who decides who starts or when he goes to the bench. This post is so far off.

Since when has Manning lost the starting job? He is injured. Was he taken out of the game yesterday, yes. Wasn't Brady taken out last year too for poor play?

The only difference is Manning is too banged up to play the next week. He hasn't been benched.

His poor play dates back to last year and he has been a shell of himself this season. Right now he is benched for injury but if Brock plays decent, I doubt he gets his job back. Of course that is a big IF with Brock.

"Did Manning knowingly hurt his team in pursuit of stats?"

Your headline to this thread is misleading E-59 because it creates the false impression that all Manning cares about is padding records for HOF Jacket. 18 only need 4 yards I think to pass Brett Favre.

You're making it sound like Peyton got the game ball, bowed to the crowd, & said to Coach Kubiack "I done now man. I gonna chill on the bench over there & sip Gatorade for over 2 hours. Thanks."

I recall in 2009 when under Coach Caldwell he sat down with the rest of the starters vs the NY Jets under Rex Ryan which ended INDY's winning streak that year so I wouldn't imply that 18 is selfish or self centered. JMO.

I know in the past I have been strict on Peyton, but I know he's a fantastic QB despite his post season hiccups from previous years. Like Chad72 said, I don't believe in kicking someone down when he merely had a bad day at the office. I'm also proud of Peyton for admitting he played poorly last night. That takes guts & I respect that kind of honesty immensely.

He will finish strong. Not ring worthy, but a lasting impression that makes his fans go "Yep, there's the game changer that I remember" & smile.

Chew on this food for thought E-59: If Peyton was so consumed by stats, then he would have said something like this at his post press conference:

"Okay, I threw 4 picks but who cares I broke Favre's passing record in the NFL. Lead with that headline boys alright? Thanks fellas." Wink. Wink.

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. Disagreed with me and didn't take personal shots. A lot of what you said I agree with or can't say you're opinion is way off. I could've worded my title so it was so inflammatory.

I certainly don't think Peyton would obviously admit or even latently acknowledge the stats meant a lot to him and that's why he played. But in my heart, I believe Manning knew or should have known he couldn't go Sunday and went anyway. I think Osweiller could have won but definitely would have played, oh 100 times better.

I think it's odd to have the injuries' severity (mainly foot) come out after the game. Just don't know. I'm sad for Peyton. And, if I'm a Broncos fan, I'm furious. I really believe they're gonna have trouble making the playoffs after starting 7-0.

Who do you think decides who takes the field and when? I'll give you a hint he doesn't wear pads.,

Peyton played because he thought he could help the team win. The staff was aware of his multiple injuries

By the way in case you are struggling with my question. He is not the person who decides who plays and for how long. That person would be the head coach with input from the OC and training staff.

So I ask you did Kubiak intentionally cost his team a game and potentially damage his starting QB for a record that Manning would break at some point this season anyway? He needed 24 yards or something like that.

Great post keep them coming

Thanks for the great compliments. It try.

Wait. Huh? What? A coach makes the exclusive call on who plays? I learned something. So, what data and information does said coach utilize to make that decision? Gee, would injured player input have anything to do with it? Pain, even injuries sans diagnostic tests, are subjective. (That means only the person experiencing them can truly proclaim their limitations and impact). It's widely reported that Manning was in a weakened state going into pregame and THEN further aggravated the PF (possibly tore it) at the very end of pregame warm-ups. Did Kubiak know this happened with all a coach has going? Or, could it have been on Manning to say: "gee, I'm hurt. I'm already physically limited. I just hurt myself worse. I've got next to zero veiocity on my passes and I can't plant now..." Is that in the coaches crystal ball, AK?

Thanks for the attacks.

He's lost NewColt keep moving your IQ drops every minute you stay in this thread.

Peyton isn't the person who decides who starts or when he goes to the bench. This post is so far off.

Thanks for more awesome stuff, AK! Man keep the great posts coming. New Colt - I was having fun with ya. "oh for three". May want to go zero there. But yep, I may destroy AKs "eye-cue"