Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seahawks borrowed TD play from Auburn Tigers

chad72

Nope, he was engaged with the first player right at the snap. He engaged another defensive player immediately after shedding the first. Coincidently, I just watched that play on a highlight show. I am 100% correct.

Bottom line, your data on the uncalled penalty is incorrect. There was no uncalled penalty in that case.

He wasn't engaged in a block past >1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage. There's a lapse in blocking.

Posted Today, 05:26 PM

Blue Horseshoe, on 07 Sept 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

He was 3-5 yards down field before he hit the linebacker. The rule clearly states that the initial contact must be made within 1 yard.

{whistle}{flag} "Ineligible receiver down field, Seattle number 60, 5 yard penalty, first down!"

Nope, he was engaged with the first player right at the snap. He engaged another defensive player immediately after shedding the first. Coincidently, I just watched that play on a highlight show. I am 100% correct.

Bottom line, your data on the uncalled penalty is incorrect. There was no uncalled penalty in that case.

MultiQuote

Edit

It's definitely a penalty.    

They run that play in college quite a bit (a la Pete Carroll) and get away with it.    

It's inexcusable to miss the penalty with the extra ref this year too.  

I'm sure it's been pointed out to the referee crews already though so I doubt anyone else will be able to try it.  

The Packers defense read the play correctly. The center moved to the second line of defense and engaged the LB indicating the only thing Seattle would legally be allowed to do is run the football. Also the CB on the other side was engaged by the WR.  

If ineligible receiver downfield wasn't called, OPI should have at least been called.

I don't think it was a clear penalty. Some people, including Mike Pereira, have said that he wasn't more than a yard downfield. And the refs usually give him a cushion of a yard, so he has to be two yards downfield before a flag will be thrown. 

It's also questionable whether he stayed engaged in a block. I think he did, at least enough for sake of not throwing a flag.

But if he was more than a yard downfield, engaged or not, the pass can't go beyond the ineligible receiver. You can throw a bubble screen, but you can't throw the ball downfield. 

I'm good with them missing this call, as it was borderline, at best. But I do think the rules are being a little misrepresented, maybe ignored, in this case.