Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very good article on why projections on sites should not be taken too seriously

I think that its pretty clear in my opinion the majority of draftniks change there opinions all the time and often drastically, One day a player is a 2nd round prospect...The next that same site has them as a mid round 4-5th round prospect on some/several instances, Seems to me some are more interested in putting info out there just to put info out there and guess rather then trusting there initial instincts...GM's are just as guilty for various reasons. Example: Johnny Manziel, fairly athletic and certainly a mobile QB with a decent arm but certainly not pro ready coming out......More along the lines of a 2nd-3rd round prospect but do to his ability to buy time in the pocket GM's will bite on that and eat it up and overdraft him in the 1st round....The film dont change from day 1 to day 2

Thanks, Chad for linking this.    A great read.

And I've been preaching this since I arrived here nearly two years ago.

Most websites simply don't know very much.   They try their best to put decent information out there.   I don't think anyone is trying to deliberately put bad information out there, doesn't serve the interest of a website.

But most don't know.

Some are worse than others.

Even the two that I think are best (ESPN.com and NFL.com) have mistakes and reaches.   That's the nature of the beast.   The trick is to have the fewest mistakes possible.    And I think these two do.

Scouting in ALL SPORTS is the ultimate beauty contest.    Everyone sees the same thing differently.    You like the blonde, someone else likes the brunet.   Someone likes the Asian and another likes Latina and someone else likes the black woman.    And they all think they're right and they don't get why everyone else doesn't agree with them.    It's about personal preference and scheme fit.    Everyone is different.

For the most part, this is not easy and obvious.   We're all geniuses with hindsight.   It's much harder when you're on the clock and the team's future is at stake and jobs are on the line.    This is hard stuff!