Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Gary Brackett Thing

John Waylon

Correction Why not get. Sorry, guess I needed the edit button.

It works ok on Madden but this defensive squad would need to be scrapped. These players are not meant to play that scheme. Hughes might work out as a OLB, maybe Bracket and Angerer in the middle, Mathis as the other OLB. I don't think Freeney could be a force as a DE or OLB in the 3-4, his strengths are leverage with speed. He wont be big enough as a 3-4 end. Brayton and Anderson could play 3-4 end, maybe Nevis too. Our DTs could not play DT in the 3-4. CBs need to be more press, man coverage types. Bethea could play FS in any scheme.

Oh yeah a 3-4 DC as well.

Brackett is maybe the best Colts LB I've ever seen ... he is comparable to Ray Lew in that he is actually the heart and soul of our D, especially with Bobby gone. We need a good finish from him to strike a Super bowl from a defensive perspective I think. He may not be as physical or rangy as Pat at this point in his career but I agree he is more complete and is the unquestioned leader regardless of scheme.

Gary is one of my favorite Colts, and he may well be the best Colts linebacker of the past 15+ years or so. The Colts clearly thought so, because they let the other good ones (Peterson etal) walk. If that's the time-frame in which you've been watching, than I agree with you. And he may well be the heart and soul of the defense as well. I think that they miss his leadership. But there have been several Colts LBs over the years who were better in my opinion.

Angerer brings a lot to the table, and we've all been enthusing about him largely because we're trying to find positives in this miserable season. The fact remains, however, that our pass defense has been getting picked to pieces and that Gary's absence is part of the problem. He might have had a couple of game changing picks in places where Pat has just added to his tackle total - and who knows if his experience might have made a difference just in terms of getting the team into the right looks (no idea if he has any leeway, or just repeats whatever comes into his helmet).

Edited by MAC