Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Current Powerhouses wont last long...

bap1331

I think he meant "Brady 2001", which is a point that I've been thinking about today.

If Wilson plays exactly the same way that he did today and the Panthers win three in a row, how is everyone going to respond to the "he's the best QB in history - all that counts is rings" comments.

For Colts fans it will be Brady/Manning all over again. :sigh:

Pats fans won't like it much either. ;)

For now I'm somewhat happy for Seattle. I like Wilson and the city has been starved for champions. I just remind myself - with all the dynasty talk - that I liked the Patriots in 2001 too. :omg:

If it wasn't for Peyton I would have been rooting for Seattle. I don't like Carroll from his USC scandel days but LOVE Wilson and that defense. I rooted for the Pats that SB too...it was a great story...but like most stories/movies...the sequels aren't as good lol!!

And how is that any difference from Brady at the start of those SB runs. By the third he was really coming into his own but the first two...he was a piece of those early championships before becoming the leader and "THE" piece. I'm not saying they WILL do it but it is very very possible in the next 3 or 4 years they run off a couple more.....Wilson is a beautiful young qb...smart, makes all the throws, strong arm, agile, moves well but doesn't run to just run rather to throw, his game may not mirror Tom Brady but his mistake free game does and he seems to make the critical throws when necessary...combine that with a top ranked defense...its very hard to imagine they don't find themselves back in the next few years. Russell just seems to be a meld of Brady and Brees and I'm extremely impressed. Early years it was the Patriots running with Dillon and company and Tom just being highly efficient. I see that in Russell is all I'm saying.

Their play was very different. In the pats first playoff run Brady threw 52 times for over 300 yards in the snow vs Oakland, Wilson was 8-19 for 103 yards vs the Saints. And in the SB Brady engineered a game winning drive and Wilson did most of his damage after the game was already decided.

While I agree that Wilson has a lot of potential, I would compare his play at this point more to Big Ben during his first SB run than that of Brady.

Their play was very different. In the pats first playoff run Brady threw 52 times for over 300 yards in the snow vs Oakland, Wilson was 8-19 for 103 yards vs the Saints. And in the SB Brady engineered a game winning drive and Wilson did most of his damage after the game was already decided.

While I agree that Wilson has a lot of potential, I would compare his play at this point more to Big Ben during his first SB run than that of Brady.

Sorry. I understand its almost impossible to compare the games...there was soo much going on. One game in a snow storm that it is easier to pass block and throw passes because the wr knows where they are going and the pass rush has no footing. The SB Tom road a pretty great defensive effort and made 3 critical throws. I know they are different but Russell did that against SF too...made some big plays even though he stuttered. He was almost perfect in the SB really...just that first pass. It wasn't his fault his defense was racking up points. All in all during his first two seasons...his game performances and ratings are just as good if not better than Brady's...and his come from behind performances and play when the pressure is on..looks just as good. Not as Brady now...but remember Brady in 01,02, 03....please...the Brady of today is 10 times the qb that he used to be....all I'm saying is Russell looks that way to me. Rothlisburger was more apt to turn it over than throw a td...he would make some big plays but also was no way in control of an offense as Russell is.

Sorry. I understand its almost impossible to compare the games...there was soo much going on. One game in a snow storm that it is easier to pass block and throw passes because the wr knows where they are going and the pass rush has no footing. The SB Tom road a pretty great defensive effort and made 3 critical throws. I know they are different but Russell did that against SF too...made some big plays even though he stuttered. He was almost perfect in the SB really...just that first pass. It wasn't his fault his defense was racking up points. All in all during his first two seasons...his game performances and ratings are just as good if not better than Brady's...and his come from behind performances and play when the pressure is on..looks just as good. Not as Brady now...but remember Brady in 01,02, 03....please...the Brady of today is 10 times the qb that he used to be....all I'm saying is Russell looks that way to me. Rothlisburger was more apt to turn it over than throw a td...he would make some big plays but also was no way in control of an offense as Russell is.

Agree to disagree

I get what you are saying and do see similarities between Wilson and Brady and the make up of their teams but Brady never had a Marshall Lynch for this first two super bowls and certainly his defense the first year was nowhere near the best in the league although they did catch fire in the post-season. Most forget that Brady went to the pro bowl in 2001 and 2004 so he was one of the three top best QBs in the AFC during those champ years. Russell is not at the caliber, not yet anyways. Brady's offensive weapons were also very pedestrian which is similar to Wilson. I think what I like about Wilson is that he has that same hunger as Brady. Right after they won, he told Deion and Irvin that he wants more. The guy wants to be great and also similar to Brady was told all along that he would not be good enough at the pro level given his size and talents. I have to say he is by far the most likeable guy on that team and I am rooting for him to continue to succeed.

I get what you are saying and do see similarities between Wilson and Brady and the make up of their teams but Brady never had a Marshall Lynch for this first two super bowls and certainly his defense the first year was nowhere near the best in the league although they did catch fire in the post-season. Most forget that Brady went to the pro bowl in 2001 and 2004 so he was one of the three top best QBs in the AFC during those champ years. Russell is not at the caliber, not yet anyways. Brady's offensive weapons were also very pedestrian which is similar to Wilson. I think what I like about Wilson is that he has that same hunger as Brady. Right after they won, he told Deion and Irvin that he wants more. The guy wants to be great and also similar to Brady was told all along that he would not be good enough at the pro level given his size and talents. I have to say he is by far the most likeable guy on that team and I am rooting for him to continue to succeed.

He has a long way to go to be anything like Tom...but I see similarities...over looked...drafted later...not expected to be the starter..came on...incredible football iq...strong arm...fit a more team qb as opposed to the qb being the team (Manning/Luck)...I just see his intelligence, skill, and drive...and his ability to play mistake free football for the most part...not put his team in a bind...he just makes smart plays and then strikes with a dagger. In the NFL there are few guys like that. He is in a great position and should have an opportunity to add another SB.

Seahawks: Big paydays coming for that defense. Bennet is first...then Sherman, then Thurman. Lets not forgot that Wilson deserves his share and so the recievers. That is going to eat a lot of cap space

49ers: Half the team is leaving after this year. They have to take advantage with what they have and do something this year or their dominating franchise is over...

Broncos: Maybe Peyton has reached his prime? Its going to be so hard for him to bounce back after this loss. His mentality was way in outerspace and hes not getting any younger...

Patriots: Brady is not getting any younger either...

Saints: They have absolutely no cap space. I think they have like 170,000 to spend. Not even enough to pay a kicker...This organization is going to have to do some serious restructuring...

What do you think? I think its a huge advantage for the Colts. We need to seriously put something together this year because we have a huge chance for a dynasty not only now, but definitely when Brady and Peyton retire...

Uh, what? Half of the 49ers team is leaving in a year? The Saints having no cap space means they won't be good anymore? They haven't had cap space for the last four years. Seahawks are a young, deep team, they aren't going anywhere.