Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm Beginning To Like Painter As Manning's Permanent Backup

mightisright

No reason to apologize.

I think he's peaked for a while. Just based on teams having tape and tendencies on him. If he plays the rest of the season then there is some potential for growth. I'm not sure if he has any trade value or not. Most teams would just soon draft a 6th or 7th round qb and go from there for a back up.

if the team is looking for a backup then yes I'd agree. I'm talking about a couple of teams who have a solid team built and think they could be in a win-now position but they don't have any type of quality QB (Wash) or they have a QB who simply makes too many costly mistakes (Romo).

Cassell had a full season under his belt so I don't think we can accurately compare #'s between the 2 yet. I never understood the love affair with Kolb, he has was okay in limited time, but he was also in a QB friendly system, as was Cassel for that matter.

I definitely agree...it's way too soon to tell. That's why I said he would have to continue to be efficient and improve overall as the year finishes out.

No Painter would not be anywhere near an upgrade over Tony Romo. Not even close in my opinion. I'm not even sure if he would start anywhere else right now. Maybe Jacksonville, but they already have a young inexperienced QB they are trying to build with.

Now I say this conditionally, just like I said before that Painter would have to continue to improve and continue to be efficient...however if he does and can prove to be in the same category as a Schaub or Cassell then I do think he would be an upgrade over Romo simply because Romo makes too many mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I want to root for him but how many losses has he pretty much single handedly given the Cowboys, whether by botched hold on an extra point, late game horrible decisions that lead to INTs etc. Yes he can make a lot of big plays that can help you win a game but he also makes a lot of horrible plays in key situations that has cost them games. They have a solid OL, great skill players in Bryant, Witten and Austin etc coupled with the usually effective Rob Ryan defense. They may be willing to give up some of that big play ability in order to have a guy who won't cost them a game. Regardless if it's Painter or not, I really think this will be Romo's last year in Big D unless they make a strong run at the SB. They've been "on the cusp" for too long now and more often than not, Romo has been the reason they've underachieved. In my opinion. :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the team is looking for a backup then yes I'd agree. I'm talking about a couple of teams who have a solid team built and think they could be in a win-now position but they don't have any type of quality QB (Wash) or they have a QB who simply makes too many costly mistakes (Romo).

I definitely agree...it's way too soon to tell. That's why I said he would have to continue to be efficient and improve overall as the year finishes out.

Now I say this conditionally, just like I said before that Painter would have to continue to improve and continue to be efficient...however if he does and can prove to be in the same category as a Schaub or Cassell then I do think he would be an upgrade over Romo simply because Romo makes too many mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I want to root for him but how many losses has he pretty much single handedly given the Cowboys, whether by botched hold on an extra point, late game horrible decisions that lead to INTs etc. Yes he can make a lot of big plays that can help you win a game but he also makes a lot of horrible plays in key situations that has cost them games. They have a solid OL, great skill players in Bryant, Witten and Austin etc coupled with the usually effective Rob Ryan defense. They may be willing to give up some of that big play ability in order to have a guy who won't cost them a game. Regardless if it's Painter or not, I really think this will be Romo's last year in Big D unless they make a strong run at the SB. They've been "on the cusp" for too long now and more often than not, Romo has been the reason they've underachieved. In my opinion. :)

I guess I just saw more promise out of Schaub and even Cassell than I do with Painter. I don't think Romo is that horrible. He plays a lot like Favre, reminds me of a younger Favre, will take some extra chances, gunslinger, etc. I certainly would take him right now if they wanted to give him away. I'd have to know his contract situation to offer an opinion of whether it could be his last year.

I guess I just saw more promise out of Schaub and even Cassell than I do with Painter. I don't think Romo is that horrible. He plays a lot like Favre, reminds me of a younger Favre, will take some extra chances, gunslinger, etc. I certainly would take him right now if they wanted to give him away. I'd have to know his contract situation to offer an opinion of whether it could be his last year.

I definitely agree with the Romo to Favre comparison...the problem is, imo, that Favre's big play to horrible play ratio was much, much higher, especially in crucial situations when the game is on the line. And like I said, this is contingent on the Cowboys having another disappointing season as well as Painter having a Schaub or Cassell like year overall, neither of which are even close to being certain at this point. :)

Edited by Jason

I definitely agree with the Romo to Favre comparison...the problem is, imo, that Favre's big play to horrible play ratio was much, much higher, especially in crucial situations when the game is on the line. And like I said, this is contingent on the Cowboys having another disappointing season as well as Painter having a Schaub or Cassell like year overall, neither of which are even close to being certain at this point. :)

Good points.

I was about to say the same thing. Were you even watching this game OP? The game last week by chance? His accuracy is non-existent. He makes no read progressions, just stares down his receiver and tries to force it in anyway, or throws it way ahead or behind them. There's a reason he does nothing but hold a clipboard all season when Peyton is healthy, and it's showing.

Ok I live in New Jersey and don't get to see all Colts games. However no one here even knew of Curtis Painter. Imagine trying to take the place of the greatest QB in the league. I miss the plays that Peyton executed. An amazing and intelligent QB.

Some of that is due to receivers dropping balls... he gets the ball to his receivers and thats what counts... the team has had peyton in the back field for how many years and having a new QB back there definitely is showing.. painter is only gonna get better

Well he could hardly have gotten any worse could he?!

I know it's not exactly something smart to do now, but since it was done all week last week by the Painter enthusiasts I'm going there anyhow...

You can tout him being one of the top rated QB's all you want. We're still ranked 30th in points per game, and 26th in total points scored. And then you gotta figure in some of those points coming in garbage time when we were already beat and the opposing defense was just giving half an effort, which should indicate that those scoring stats are bloated, if anything. That high rating isn't translating to points. His high rating that so many tout is due by and large to the amount of short slants and screens we've gotten away with this year. If you wanna play up his high rating as an argument for his worth then let's compare him to the other highly rated QB's he's around. Names like Rogers, Brady, Brees, Schaub.... If he's got such a high rating like those guys, why isn't he putting up the numbers those guys are? It's only fun to play up his stats when you don't bring other QB's into the fold... When you bring other QB's into the fold we go right back to giving Painter a pass because he's a backup.

Now I'm not saying all our offensive woes are Painter's fault, but he should be getting the blame for no less than 50%. We're a pass first, pass heavy offense with more than adequate receivers. The fact that we're putting up 15 points per game is pretty sad.

Painter's best 2011 days are behind him, save the Patriots game, which he should look decent in because their defense is so awful. Teams have figured out that when you take away the screens and short slants and make him go mid to deep range, it's game over, he'll beat himself. ANY QB could have come in and did what Painter did in his first few weeks.

A good backup QB is a guy you can put in the game and not be doomed from the start with. Painter is a backup QB that you pray you'll never need, and start looking at whose left in free agency in the event you do.