Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano on Coaching Staff

Bluefire4

This is the guy that thought it was a good idea to replace Doug Flute for a playoff game after Doug had played almost the entire year and got Buffalo to the playoffs. He puts in a rusty Rob Johnson and they LOSE to the Titans.

He was hired as the DC for Houston in 2011, served as interim HC to finish out this year and now is gone. 2 years in Houston. They were 2 and 14. This is a great coach?  

It's well noted that Phillips isn't a good head coach. But it's not his fault that the Texans fell apart. First of all, he was there for three years, and the defense took very significant steps forward under his watch. Even this year, the defense was still strong, despite being put in terrible situations all season long (forget about points allowed; the Texans threw more pick-sixes than I even care to look up). 

So if someone is talking about Wade Phillips as a DC, then that discussion has merit. What he's done as a head coach is mostly irrelevant to that discussion. I'm not pining for him to be our DC, that's for sure. But asking "if he's so good, why doesn't he have a job" is not good analysis. 

I really think Trent's best shot is to be in a power man scheme behind GOOD, road grader offensive linemen.  The one aspect that has consistently held him back in the NFL is his lack of vision and that's the most important trait for a zone runner.  If you stick to man you can throw that out the window, tell him where to run, and reinforce that he needs to use his strength to hit the hole HARD on every play.  Don't give him room to make decisions as a runner, just reinforce that he needs to be a strictly downhill runner and a bit of a human battering ram when the ball is in his hands.

If you really want to switch over to more zone runs you'd be far better off just keeping the ball in the hands of Ballard (which is probably your best option, regardless, assuming he's even close to 100%) or bringing back Bradshaw.

All of Trent's success has been in a zone scheme. 

It's well noted that Phillips isn't a good head coach. But it's not his fault that the Texans fell apart. First of all, he was there for three years, and the defense took very significant steps forward under his watch. Even this year, the defense was still strong, despite being put in terrible situations all season long (forget about points allowed; the Texans threw more pick-sixes than I even care to look up). 

So if someone is talking about Wade Phillips as a DC, then that discussion has merit. What he's done as a head coach is mostly irrelevant to that discussion. I'm not pining for him to be our DC, that's for sure. But asking "if he's so good, why doesn't he have a job" is not good analysis. 

You may think it is a lazy question but I think it is an honest question. If the defense took such great strides under his watch at Houston why is he not still there?

You may think it is a lazy question but I think it is an honest question. If the defence took such great strides under his watch at Houston why is he not still there?

Because the new coach wants someone else. It's not the first time a good coordinator was dismissed after the head coach was replaced.

What's impossible to ignore is the defensive improvement the Texans had under Phillips. Suggesting that he must not be a good coordinator despite the evidence pointing to the contrary is strange.

Because the new coach wants someone else. It's not the first time a good coordinator was dismissed after the head coach was replaced.

What's impossible to ignore is the defensive improvement the Texans had under Phillips. Suggesting that he must not be a good coordinator despite the evidence pointing to the contrary is strange.

Ok I will agree to that. Maybe I have a tainted view of him because his deminer reminds me too much of Caldwell. He has that same sqinty faced befuddled look that I have seen too many times on numerous Colts coaches from Ted M, JIm M, sometimes Tony D, and always Caldwell.

Guy goes 22-10 and people still want him out, smh

A decent amount of those wins were from Bruce Arians, who I believe is a much better coach than Pagano.

With all do respect, he's a players coach, and an awesome guy. But he is easily out coached and gave up during the Pats game when he called for a Punt on 4th&1 down 3 scores with 11mins left in the game. I'll give Manusky another year since I still think we're lacking some personnel to effectively run this defense. 

I don't mind having Chuck back though, but I'd definitely mark up our coaching staff as a weak link compared to some of the other contenders in the league.

A decent amount of those wins were from Bruce Arians, who I believe is a much better coach than Pagano.

With all do respect, he's a players coach, and an awesome guy. But he is easily out coached and gave up during the Pats game when he called for a Punt on 4th&1 down 3 scores with 11mins left in the game. I'll give Manusky another year since I still think we're lacking some personnel to effectively run this defense. 

I don't mind having Chuck back though, but I'd definitely mark up our coaching staff as a weak link compared to some of the other contenders in the league.

There will be some on here that will disagree. During Bruce’s tenure there were plenty of complaints that his scheme was causing problems for Luck because his down the field approach took too long to develop and was the direct cause of all the QB hits, Sacks and INTs and they wanted him gone.

All of Trent's success has been in a zone scheme. 

At a college level, where he (and his linemen) simply outclassed the guys he played against.  He hasn't exhibited the nose for finding the cutback lane since hitting the NFL.  It's a little like how Reggie Bush started off.